Forum Archive Home
Articles / Reviews | Forum Archive | News Topics | Downloads | Links
Jump to Live Site
Topic View | FTB Forum Archive

My new computer

Well my stuff got here today :) Unfortuately my skillz weren't up to the task of actually getting all the crap [b:2187bfbb09]togather[/b:2187bfbb09] as it should be :oops: The mobo wouldnt line up correctly on the standoffs at the top. So, after wrestling with it for 2 hours I gave up and hope the other 5 screws hold it well enough (it seems pretty tight so I'm not [i:2187bfbb09]that[/i:2187bfbb09] worried) Another problem was the freaking cpu and the damn thermal paste (go ahead and laugh) When I took my classes in this crap they told me to spread the paste liberally all over the cpu but after I did that I talked to a friend that told me that was a big no no so I cleaned it up as best as I could and carried on. Now comes the CABLES, the cables on this mobo are a rats nest with (besides your normal cables) the CBox 2 cables snaking all over the inside of the case! When you look inside my case all you see is a wad of cables :oops: and the round cables I thought would help with airflow can't help a damn bit! I will go at the mess with some zip ties when I get home but I don't expect much improvement. I'm really gonna be pissed when it doesn't POST in the morning.
Posted By: Buk @ 2003-02-13 06:23:15

with the thermal paste, only put it on the metal bit stickin out in the middle :) with the mobo, ya can always take out those brass lugs and move em about so it will allign :) with the cables, only tie em back once ya got it fully up and running.. so if ya kafucked some thing up ya dun need to untie a shit load of things :)
Posted By: shim @ 2003-02-13 07:46:46

You never have to put screws in every hole of the mobo, just enough that it does not flex when you put Devices in :) Cables are a pure whore, I took a hot glue gun to my box to hide cables because the rheostat makes more cables then you could ever want :p If yer b0x still isn't on, you could run the mobo on the static sheet to test yer shit, just be very careful not to suck the shit out of it w/ static, but that goes w/ everything :P I never really got ultra worried about that, because I just ground some metal when petting our cat when building b0xes :) Any other pros you have, let me know :) I'll put some pics of my wire job up to give ya an idea where ya can hide alot of them :wub:
Posted By: Pic0o @ 2003-02-13 10:09:03

It posted. I'm amazed. It took me an hour to get it online though, still haven't figured that out..... I do keep getting an error at post saying the Fast track isn't connected. I think thats it's something I need to disable in the bios. I would appreciate the pics Pico0 because the wires are a true clusterfuck.
Posted By: Buk @ 2003-02-13 12:22:19

Word :) My sister is over ,and I'll snap some shots after I give her some games :wub:
Posted By: Pic0o @ 2003-02-13 13:25:44

i believe that fastrack is the RAID array so unless you are using RAID you dont have to worry about it
Posted By: i'm addictive @ 2003-02-13 13:28:05

Wiring pics :)
Posted By: Pic0o @ 2003-02-16 15:43:51

if i had round IDE cables my b0x would look alot cleaner :P
Posted By: shim @ 2003-02-16 15:58:00

Very nice pics :grin: I got lucky and had a guy come over and work on the wiring. He is a naturally neat person with small hands so, he could do it a lot better then I :D
Posted By: Buk @ 2003-02-18 01:41:57

TY sir :) I wish I knew ppl who would do my wires for me :D I was swearing like a sailor gettin that setup all pretty again :)
Posted By: Pic0o @ 2003-02-18 10:48:26

This page took 0.0036 to load.