FunTimeBliss ::
Sign in to follow this  
Pic0o

DS Web Browser

Hey, I found an article on a project Opera is working on w/ Nintendo to get Web Access on the DS Handhelds.

I Recievied my Web Browser last Friday (8/4) and have been pecking away ever since. Keep an Eye on this first post, as I will be using it for a review / Q&A Resource.

Direct JP Preference Menu Translations:

PNG Converted Prefs.

JPG Converted Prefs.

In-Use JP Web Browser Video @ YouTube

Source

Opera Press Release

Man this sounds Cool, That lil adapter would be kickass, as I could find a few uses for that while on the road ;)

Lik-Sang has a Quick Review up of the JP Browser, that I should see @ my home within a week (I hope, since I Pre-Ordered). They actually failed to fill the pre-order stock, so I went with Play-asia.com.

The Only real part that seems to be locked @ JP, is the Tooltips for the Buttons, but Browser buttons are not really a big deal, since I've been online a few times before :P

Once I scoop up an adapter, I will probally make a ds. subdomain, for pulling forum News all in one place, with easy browsing for those who are running the DS Web adapters. - Done, and located @ Ds.Pwncake.com

First Use of personal NDS Web Browser:

Yo, this is my first post from the NDS Web Browser, and thus far, I am a fan.

So far, I got the bookmarks, image on / off, default browser, change web page view, and switch screen buttons down pretty well.

As for views, I'd say the dual-screen style is better suited for standard page viewing and navigation. For toggling the active ection, you can press X or Y or the Double-Headed Arrow icon your touch screen. The stylus can be used as a Magnifying glass, to read text on the top screen.

When you wish to type, zoom in on the textbox, and Double-Click w/ your styus to bring up the On-screen Keyboard. Typing is not bad considering, and accuracy is fairly peachy. While the Cursor is nice and lets you select text, I have notyet found any way to copy and paste text. When you have completed a posting or w/w, you can press the Arrow pointing upward, or the A button to finish, and return to browse mode.

Upon bootup, you can select what Language Keyboard you wish to use, obviously, I picked (US), so I could understand something. :bunny:

The wait screens, Option toggle (except ON / OFF), and Preference menus are in JP. I did manage to Change my homepage, and add Bookmarks, on top of the base GUI buttons. This post is feeling long, so I will poke around this toy some more, and try for Digi pics this weekend. :ninjawub:

I found a translation of the DS Prefrence Menu. While most was kinda sraight-forward, English confirms are nice.

Images Via Gamefaqs Topic

8/8/06 Update:

If you are trying to connect to a network that bounces you to thier Proxy homepage @ Start, the DS Web Browser will Auth you, and allow you to sign in, if nessicary. I know alot of Hotels will not let you go outbound until your machine (MAC Address) is logged on thier homepage, and the content is displayed. I was able to connect my DS Directly to thier network via the Web Browser last night, here in New Orleans.

Oh, I found a Dual-Tab Project DS Site on the Opera Community Forums. The Opera Community Forums are an Excellent place for info. The DS Tabs work Awesome, and have been added to the ds. Subdomains.

dsbrowsersettingsmenubt3.png

DS_UI_Buttons.png

Edited by Pic0o

Found some more Info from Nintendo (In English) and Opera. Looks like this will be Order-ready near the end of July.

Sign me up, as posting on the couch w/o need for the Laptop is Pwn :bunny:

P.S. Found the Opera Forums for DS Browser Action.

Edited by Pic0o

You can Pre-Order @ Lik-Sang for the JP version that ships on 7/24. I will probally scoop this one up, as I really want to play with it, and suspect that it will have English input support, as I have seen in some of the current review floating around.

Woot to Browsing more lazy then normal on my DS :blunt:

Awesome, now all they need is MSN and im all hooked in ;)

Depending on how many people pick it up, I predict some Chat Client Ports ;) Rumor has it the AIM Web Client works on the DS, and the only 2 main items that are mentioned to not be working on the DS Browser, are Java (Javascript is good) and Flash.

Once again, I am guessing they will offer some Updates online for the browser, based on consumer feedback and purchase. I might be learning some Japanese, since I don't want to wait until Nov or later for an offcial US Release :P

Extra nice, setup in japanese shouldnt be that hard then the browsing of english sites begins :)

Im picking my DS up tomorrow because I ran into money off a friend who owed me earlier then I thought ;)

Kick Ass, Since the new phone, we have been working on our Mario Kart skills ;)

Sweet as, im picking up the new mario tomorrow along side it. Then will pick up mario kart the week after so I can get my WiFi on.

Youv'e converted another person to the DS army.

Kickass to another Nintendo Follower :D

It Looks like Overclockers.com.au is also signing up for the Nintendo DS Action, as they highlighted the system in thier latest Podcast and Wiki Entry.

Btw, They have more Info on the Opera Site about the Web Browser.

Added Web Demo in JP of the Browser, Ships out from OEM on Monday I think, hopefully, I will see before long ass drive for Bachelor Party :P

@ 8/6/06

FYI, I was able to browse myspace with it, mostly ad-free, but since they do not have a flag to default a normal text editor in your profile, it was more filthy then normal to post a new Blog entry, so I just spammed here. :wub:

I merged some of the more recent useage info, into the first post, for easier refrence.

Direct Opera Sticky on Menu Translations. (Completed)

Added Direct Links to 1st Post.

I also just linked this Topic @ Digg, since a search did not show much related info to the current browser.

Edited by Pic0o

Review is Up on FTB Root. Edited by Pic0o
Redirect to Archived review

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this