Play a Game? (Game tracker)

Pic0o

GTA V did not click with me in the multi-player. Perhaps I am too old school, because I think rank based unlocks are dumb. They make new players feel unwelcome and create imbalance. Why do I need to level up so heavily, to gain access to a decent fire rate weapon?

Anyhow, I actually traded my PS3 for a Bike Rack. I have most of my favorite games still. Since the PS3 is actually a nice media player too, I figure I'll grab one again after I get my new place setup. Speaking as such, I may be a Philadelphia region resident here in the next month or two. :)

I have been playing a bit of ESO (Elder Scrolls Online), but I hit the same MMO hump I have been these last few years. Honestly for the time investment, I would rather be reading or learning something new. Typically computer based. I guess I am old man Pic0o now. :wub:

I do still enjoy indie and offline based single player games. Many recent titles just feel so shallow. I saw Titanfall and it looks fun, but the pricing structure, planned map DLC and lack of single player, immediately showed me it would be a waste of money for me. On the upside, Diablo 3 has become vastly better since RoS released. That expansion is fun and I see myself jumping in on occasion to Paragon up, get some new gear, and possibly play Crusader.

Goat Simulator is dope. I love this game, probably because glitching and wallhacks are common. My speed of game, lulz :) Oh yeah, I hope everyone had a great 4/20 + Egg Day.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

GTA5 was an underwhelming experience for me as well. I didn't play through the singleplayer campaign at all so maybe I'll sit down and do that at some point but it's not high on my list.

I bought The Witcher 2 a few days ago for ~$3 or so on Steam to kill time while I was banned from Dragon Nest. It's been pretty alright. The combat mechanics aren't the most well designed but the tone of the game is a nice break from the usual RPG/action fare. That said I'm pretty sure I'm going to forget the plot and characters in a week. The tone is to my liking but the writing isn't remarkable overall.

Another thing bugs me. The RPG bits aren't actually that essential to the game and it would probably be better if they were removed. I am nearing the end of the game and have only changed my armor and pokey bits maybe twice. I've never crafted anything. I've entirely ignored the places of power, loot, potion crafting and all other RPG elements save the quest tracker (which is a piece of shit by the way). I did use potion crafting a few times when the story decided to shoehorn it in but that's it. I've also barely used any of the power signs or whatever. The one that flips a mob into an enemy is handy I guess. It's all just so useless.

I don't understand why they put so many RPG mechanics into the game when they're disparate at best from what the game's core strengths are. It's not that any of it doesn't work or is poorly designed, it's just that it all exists at the expense of things more important. The effort they put into those mechanics could have been put into the combat mechanics and writing and that might have made it really superb. I'm being pretty hard on it though, for $3 it's not bad at all. It has made me want to pick up a slew of similar titles. I think I'll be starting with the clusterfuck of a series Drakengard because, well, it seems like the kind of travesty that I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of. But it's going to be a bit before I actually feel like playing through them.

I didn't bother with ESO. I'll give it if it goes f2p at some point. I had closed beta and really wasn't feeling it. Dragon Nest is the only MMO aside from GW I've wanted to keep playing in spite of its flaws.

• 4 weeks later...

I removed ESO, but not by installer, as it does not support x64 for uninstalling... Lame as hell.

I joined the PS3 (used) club again. I kept most all of my games and also missed on of the best media players I ever had. As for new consoles, after a few months, I might get a Wii U. It has some cool looking games, and I also figure Wii U Zelda is not that far out (I saw it was announced a few months ago.)

I enjoyed Watch Dogs, despite it kicking my video cards ass. I ran it on Medium, but that is all in the game thread.

Also I grabbed The Last Of Us used, but with an unused Online Pass. This game has a gross amount of multi-player DLC. Wow that is shitty, because it is almost all cosmetic. Online enabled consoles are some greedy shit. Luckily most all of the content is useless.

I've only recently finished both Arkham Asylum/City, I say recently, I mean last month lol

I've since been playing through Ass Creed 3 and now halfway through Black Flag which has been great so far.

Did anyone get a chance to play Destiny Beta? I did and was wondering what other people thought of it.
It reminded me of Borderlands in the way the missions were set out, but with it being an MMO (of sorts) I found it more exciting running around amongst other random players, as I played through the storyline.

I barely touched the competitive multiplayer side of things though, I guess that would be more standard CoD/Halo affair.

I have not touched or really seen Destiny at all. I mixed it up with that Titanfall game, that looked cool but really short lived. DLC heavy shooters are destined to be passed over in a few months, but Titanfall was really expensive for what it had available.

I enjoyed the Batman games very much, but have not played Blackgate or whatever the one is that game out after Arkham City. City was good, but pretty easy. I personally liked Asylum more, as I felt the story and narrative were more engaging. Both are great by their own right, as Asylum showed it's repetition with enemies and maps when I played it through a 2nd time. As for Ass Creed, I believe 2 was the last one I played through.

PS3 wise, I fired up my old games and also grabbed Arkham City again used, as it has 3D support that works on the Sony 3D monitor I got on liquidation. I played AC on PC with 3D before Nvidia removed the driver hack to allow 3D on the monitor. Granted it ran below 60 FPS @ 720P (double resolutions in that format 3D).

Jumping back to nick's rant about broken RPG mechanics... I absolutely agree. Do some options correctly, smoothly and practically, instead of cludging them all in for the sake of marketing buzzwords. Too many halphazard options have broken many games. One of the more recent examples was Final Fantasy XII (not the best game by any stretch), where the weapon upgrading system was so odd, I only knew how to use it by guides. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Japanese style hard mode... when it makes at least an inkling to how the system works. XIII was like the upgrades just got thrown in with no real in-game correlations at all. This comes from someone who played Final Fantasy XI (the 1st online game) for many years. Granted that game also had some really ecclectic systems in there too, but the online server community helped, with some of that info.

• 2 weeks later...

GTA 5 single player is amazing. I had loads of fun with it. But I absolutely avoided the crappy MP experience. If you guys haven't played the actual SP... wow.. definitely do it!!

I got arkam and city on a steam sale a month or so ago.. so plan to play those sometime. I am skipping origin, though.

Also picked up New Vegas for PC - had it for 360 before and never really got too far in it. Bunch of other indie stuff during summer steam sale, too. Many games and spent less than $30 probably.

Trine 2 I played all through, including the golbin DLC. great puzzle platformer. Looks beautiful.

Nice. Yeah I enjoyed GTA 5 single player and agree the MP is a joke, of the bad kind. Have fun with those 2 Batman games. I am guessing Origins / Blackgate was bunk, as it price dropped almost instantly on release. Not to mention the short time between City and Origins. Copy-Pasta syndrome is the vibe I got, granted without actually seeing or playing it.

I have Fallout 3 and NV on PC. Cleared NV on PS3 and I also own Fallout 3 on PS3. I might love that game too much, who knows. My evil character is level 5 or so on the PS3 playthru. Tenpenny Tower home point, so I was making all the diabolical moves. I do worry about continuing, because I know how easy 100 hours is to occur in Fallout games.

I really enjoyed Watch Dogs. I played that pretty consistently and enjoyed my time with it. It is a performance beast though, as it worked my 570 GTX and rest of rig quite heavily on Medium.

The Last of Us is like an Alan Wake / Uncharted. More narrative than video game in the 1st hour. Talking with my buddy, that seems to more a less maintain as you play it. The shiny HD'er version is coming out for PS4. Lucky for me, I got the PS3 version for $25 used.

• 3 months later...

There are some good game deals today. The Last Of Us is under $20 on steam, via GreenManGaming deals

Nov 28 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Steam) $59.99 48% $30.94

Nov 28 The Elder Scrolls Online (PC Download) $59.99 74% $15.84

Nov 28 Wolfenstein: The New Order (Steam) $59.99 73% $16.10

Nov 28 The Evil Within (Steam) $59.99 73% $16.10

Nov 28 Spintires (Steam) $29.99 53% $14.03

Nov 28 Total War: Rome II Emperor Edition (Steam) $59.95 80% $11.99

Nov 28 Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Steam) $19.99 80% $4

More deals @ the link.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/26/black-friday-pc-gaming-sales/

Captain Toad - Treasure Tracker is out and in my hands. I am so ready for the weekend. I love puzzle games.

This is going to be awesome. I avoided much info and spoilers, short of the Nintendo Direct last month.

Captain Toad is an adorable and fun game. Loving the puzzles and the episodic progression. I am into Book / Episode 3 as of last night.

Edited by Pic0o
  • 2 months later...

If you like to collect rare and/or out of print video games from retail stores, go to the hood. I have been doing this for a few years and it works out very well.

RPGs and other niche games are vastly more likely to be in stock in more ghetto locations. Example being today, I got Pikmin 3 (out of print) for $50 used. Not the best price, but considering it is typically $90+, I am good with the price for a physical disc. I ordered a copy from the GameStop store, but they shipped me a disc so scratched, it did not even load. So much for the "we test all used items before shipping them out". Happily, I went to a store in the West Side of Philly and was able to replace the bad disc, with a working copy, that also had the original game case and manual.

If you do not feel comfortable in more urban locations, don't go. However if you are not worried about that so much, more rare loot can be yours ;)

What do I define as 'Hood'?

If the area of town has many boarded up buildings and have graffiti all over most of them... you may be in the hood. Lots of non-franchise corner stores are a good sign too.

If you can see a scratch on the surface of a Wii U game, do not buy it. This is the 2nd copy of Pikmin 3 I have tried in my system. The really scratched disk gave "Disc Error" prompts. Today's replacement shows up fine on the Wii U screen, but will not load up.

Edited by Pic0o
  • 3 months later...

I grabbed Splatoon as it caught my interests a few months back. I also briefly played some Witcher 3 and have intentions of playing more GTA V / Online.

However all my projects are keeping me busy. Finding out I can USB boot and install other operating systems on my tablet, has been keeping me busy this week. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed Splatoon as it caught my interests a few months back. I also briefly played some Witcher 3 and have intentions of playing more GTA V / Online.

However all my projects are keeping me busy. Finding out I can USB boot and install other operating systems on my tablet, has been keeping me busy this week. :)

Splatoon looked really fun from a polygon review I was watching. They even said the SP reminded them of a mario 64 platformer kinda, and that they were surprised how much fun it was, when the MP was billed as the main feature.

Agreed. I also have some steam credit, so I got CS:Go. I'll hop on and take some bullets to the face :p

Hit me up when you are chilling. This week is cool for me if you wanna peep splatoon and chill.

• 4 months later...

So Batman Arkham Knight is live again on Steam. Humorously, from the comments, it appears the only thing really patched, is support for DLC.

Personally, I am saving myself for Fallout 4. I also tried out ARK Survival Evolved, but I can summarize the game as 'Minecraft in 3D'. The content isn't really balanced, but that is what excessive leveling is for. I got burnt out in about 10 hours of play.

BTW, Rocket League is fresh. I'm not good at it but it is a fun game. Hit me up on steam and we an do the thing. :)