Sign in to follow this  
Pic0o

Evolution Skill Up

As the facts of higher temperatures, and less natural resources becomes an undeniable fact to everyone, the animal & plant planet is already ahead of the game. While this is a fascinating concept, it is by no means a support for increasing the rate Earth heats up, as all species are not capable of this metamorphosis.

The advantage in this evolutionary race goes to warm-weather animals, who are taking territory and precious food sources from their cool-weather cousins. "Species that typically would be restricted to the tropics or subtropics are increasingly found north of where they were," says evolutionary biologist Stephen Palumbi of Stanford University, author of The Evolution Explosion. Swordfish traditionally seen in the Gulf of Mexico and Mediterranean have been spotted off the coast of Norway; shallow-water squid that normally call California waters home have been found as far north as Alaska. As these and other species commandeer space and resources, they bring with them their arsenal of DNA, so that their descendants will be even better biologically suited for warmer conditions.

Evolutionary biologist Shane Wright of the University of Auckland, New Zealand, has shown that species evolve more than twice as fast in tropical zones as in temperate areas. As squid encounter warmer weather, for example, their bodily functions speed up and they reproduce more often, says Wright. As their population explodes, so does their genetic diversity. This, in turn, means more chances for genetic mutations to show up in subsequent generations, specializing creatures to certain waters. Eventually they become so unique that they're different species altogether.

While on the Subject of Evolve or Die (Packetstorm Plug), Scientist found an Alien World composed of 'Hot Ice', marking a progressional notch in the efforts to find a Human-compliant world, other then Earth.

But now, a team led by Michael Gillon of Geneva University in Switzerland have observed the planet transiting its host star using a telescope at the Observatoire Francois-Xavier Bagnoud (OFXB) in Saint-Luc, Switzerland.

They have been able to measure the planet's width, which provides clues to its composition and structure. It turns out to be about 50,000 kilometres wide, roughly four times the width of Earth and about the size of Neptune.

The planet is therefore too compact to be made mostly of hydrogen gas, like Jupiter, the researchers say, but not compact enough to be a rocky 'super Earth', as some had speculated. Instead, they believe it must be made mostly of an exotic form of water.

Although the parent star is much cooler than the Sun, the planet orbits 13 times closer to the star than Mercury's orbit around the Sun. That means the surface must be a blazing hot 300° C or more, keeping water in its atmosphere in vapour form.

When they do find a new Earth, let's hope they leave the Hummer H2's and the similar glamor gas-guzzling vehicles behind. :shank:

When they do find a new Earth, let's hope they leave the Hummer H2's and the similar glamor gas-guzzling vehicles behind. :shank:

Are you sure your not Canadian or Australian? :P

I think it's the small town in me that shields me from thinking I need a small tank to drive to work. Probably because I understand that our roads are not quite that bumpy. :lol:

My Luxury vehicle I'd like to buy is a Golf Cart / ATV Hybrid. When New car time comes, i'll buy another sedan or wagon, as my subs eat my trunk alive, and putting a bike rack on is a PITA.

If I could, I'd drive a Golf Cart to work, but the way people around here drive, I'm lucky to make it home alive everyday. :shank:

Sign in to follow this