• 1 year later...

For re.mouting a drive as Read/Write:

OK, imagine your root partition is hda2

then try:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda2 /

//(list what is mounted)

cat /proc/mounts

//(or) Remount FS as RW. Get list from reading /proc/mounts

Say you want to restart xorg, because your XServer is crashed. In my case from switching back and forth from hdmi.

top/// this will get your running Processes. H for help, Q to quit back console.sudo kill "PID#"
Actually, to stop your X-like session, I'm using the following command on my Ubuntu Studio install.
sudo service lightdm stop
Install your Nvidia drivers from the command line, a la tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

sh NVI*

Once the install is done, start back up your lightdm service.

Xserver will restart and both devices will display for graphic user interface over command line interface.

Forget not to Ctrl + Alt + F2 and others F# keys for a login cli. That should already had been working when you plugged cable in from otherdisplay.

Checking boot errors?

dmesg/// to view boot errors.dmesg | grep error/// searches the file with grep. Looking for 'error' in the file and printing it out to screen.
If you are continuing on, catch a quick quide and save some man page reads, for the moment.

Linux Log Files Guide @ Ubuntu.

Edited by Pic0o
11,000 Post :)
  • 2 weeks later...

For a backup / ripping setup you will enjoy k3b for disc reading and mp3 conversion.

kino is a favorite video editor. I run it from a console to get extra running details and progress reporting.

• 1 month later...

So I want to find all *Doge* memes in a folder. In a CLI (command prompt), you can type:

find -iname \*doge\*

The \* are your wildcards, so you can get any filenames containing "doge", in the current folder. As a primarly windows user, I was looking for a handy means to find dank memes, since I normally do a wildcard filename entry. in the browse files dialog box of a web browser, etc.