Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles

Pic0o

I have dedicated some Quality Time to playing Castlevania DXC for PSP, as you get 2 Extra full OG Titles along with your purchase, via in-game unlocking.

I went right for the lookup to unlock Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood. I was droolin since original Rondo release, and got some flavor from the semi-SNES port from JP Edition. :bunny:

This game is what made me be interested in a PSP, and now my XBLA Copy will be much more Idle. :lol:

Now I can sleep accomplished for the night. ;)

I woke up, and also worth mentioning, are the JP Voices, with some EN Text, for the full Effect. More Games need JP Audio included.

Just to reflect, I have both games unlocked, and can unlock the last one, once I beat the main Title - the Rondo of Blood remake.

I figure I will get some Quality time in this weekend, as I mowed the grass on Wed, so I should have a short list of to-do this weekend. ;)

I made it through the Remake of Rondo of Blood last night with the 'bad' ending. I also proceeded to play a few of the earlier levels, so I could unlock the extra stages on the map (pretty obvious when you see map).

One of the sweetest things about Rondo of Blood, is the Castlevania 3-like level map, where you are able to take alternate paths and fight different Bosses. On top of that, you get Stage Select, saving you tons of time if you want to do a single level, to unlock extras.

I am still working on unlocking the Boss Rush modes, as I missed one of the Criteria. Rondo of Blood in itself feels a little short, but I would guess I got about 12-14 hours of play out of the default game (Rondo of Blood remake), with knowing that Symphony of the Night, will be there for me to hold for quite a bit longer.

Speaking of SotN, I saw some posts around mentioning the DXC (Dracula X Chronicles) build is less stable then the PSN offering for $10.00. I already bought SotN on XBLA, so I will retort to that if the version in SotN is utterly broken, which I think is not the case, but do expect to see a few bugs.

I'll try not to spoiler the game too much for you, but I do feel it is quite awesome, and appreciate Konami taking the time and effort to upgrade a classic game for the US and beyond folks to finally enjoy. If you like Castlevania (especially the Whip wielding ones) get this game. My buddy mentioned his love loss on the lack of DS-Style skills and such for gameplay, but I let him know about sweet Maria. I have been brain-washed by the DS Castlevania's, so I played almost all of Rondo of Blood with Maria.

The only thing I could suggest for future releases, is considering giving the extra content as immediately available upon start. I know it cheapens the pursuit of the extra stuff, but it also gives folks more of an option starting out, especially ones who will not goto lookup how to unlock the extra stuff immediately (not me).

A deep question I have, is why have we not seen a Castlevania 1-3 combo pack for the mobile consoles? The world needs more Grant and Sypha. ;)

I did some level replay to save the ladies, and I got to see a particularly nasty Dracula Fight. Once I bust his ass up again, I should have many more game extras, and will feel good enough about completion to fire of Symphony of the Night, your 'Sequel' to Rondo of Blood, as shown by the start of Symphony of the Night.

Castlevania is too awesome, Konami keeps my :wub:

I also picked up Silent Hill Origins / 0, for $20 bones and good word of mouth I could not resist. I don't think I can say the same for Homecoming, but we shall see.

Edit:

I got the GG Dracula Win for mad Unlocks, and also got the last Sub-game, the Error Memory Card crazy name one. Mad sweet. :lol: Did this on Vacation w/ Fam, but forgot to post it. :P

Edited by Pic0o
All Unlock
  • 2 years later...

Side-Bump for those interested in playing Rondo of Blood on your TV. Turns out the original PC Engine (Turbo Graphics JP) release of the game is on WiiWare. Game menus are english, but your audio and subtitles are Japanese.

Played this for a few on the TV and loved it! Works with Wavebird controller as well, so big pimpin there. :) Dracula X is the american SNES port of Rondo, that is vastly inferior. Mad happy to have seen this came state-side, since I've been all about the original since the early or mid 90's when it released.