Game dev fun

Immortal Bob

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to invest time and some money into putting together a game that we can all play for fun.

My goal is to setup a canvas where I can tinker with gameplay per requests from yall and my own ideas.

So here's the 1st draft thought of what I'm thinking.

With either the udk (unreal development kit using unreal engine 3) or torque 3D I'll put together an fps or 3rd person shooter. I'll use their samples and say 1 custom basic map. Nothing fancy to start. using native content/functionality of the kit I pick.

Who ever wants to play using the game won't have to pay anything.

If i go with udk pretty much anyone could get in on playing with level design/gameplay if they wanted as its free for non-commercial use.

If i go with torque3D I'm pretty sure it will be limited to me unless an interested person is willing to payout $99 for the kit. (this isn't to say that I can try out your guy's ideas)

I'm thinking of going with the udk but I would like to see if anyone would have any interest in tinkering directly with the kit aside from me?

Here is an example of what I'm dreaming would happen.

On a sat. night we're all gunning at one another having a good time. And someone desides... Hmm would it be cool if... (pulling idea out of my but here) we had a booster (farting) that also left a temporary debilitating toxic gas in your path and emitted some amusing sound effect. Then I could try to whip the idea together via the kit and redeploy the game for everyone to try (course this would take a bit of turn around depending on the idea).

I think this would fill my desire to tinker with game mechanics as well as give me a driving audience to do it for and it would give the rest of yall some new things to play with here and there game wise.

Any thoughts?

Have you peeped Left 4 Dead / HL2 engine stuff? I am partial to them, but also share the UT :wub:, especially since their engine is more open, yeah?

Ya seems the source engine for HL is a bit more locked up. All I see for it on valve's site so far is an educational license application. No mention of a non-commerical option or visible pricing so its probably mad money.

As for the UDK they got options for our case tho you don't get access to lowlevel engine code. Looks like you get alot of control with out that tho through unrealscript.

Looks like for non-commercial we can distribut a game using any of the assets in the udk. If we did go commercial then we'd have to use completely custom content tho we can reusing any unrealscript with out issue.

Another thing I have to look up is how distribution works in regards to maps, update etc.

Edited by Immortal Bob

I would go with the most open engine that provides the most options.

As far as the game itself, you taking requests? All I can say is MASSIVE GORE + MORE GORE + BOTS + MORE GORE.

I want my entire screen to be blood, I don't care if the game turns out to be a scrabble board game clone, I still want blood every where. This possible?

PS> I am in favor of FPS. I am not a fan of TPS's but I would be happy with anything.

PS>PS> I am really stoked you are looking to do this, and I am definitely happy that we get to be a part of it (As far as playing)

Duke Nukem + Postal + UT2k3 Gameplay (*Or Q3A) + Red Faction + Evilness + Gore and massive blood + a humor aspect = GOLD

update with udk:

-got their given simple level building and starting me out with a weapon.

kind of a pain to find exact info for. Largely due to my lack of knowing their terminology and how the system works.

-Next I think i'm going to try is to build an arena level akin to a stadium. Large single room with possible passage ways/external room or 2 and obstetrical in the center area of the arena.

How do you guys feel about something medieval? Army of darkness style perhaps? With a story line to mix in primitive weapons and some 1800/1900 century weapons.

With the medieval style the 1st round of weapons to develop could be:

1.) cross bow

2.) long bow

3.) sling shot

4.) auto-bow

science, magic or a blend of both?

Thoughts?

Edited by Immortal Bob

Only level building experience I have ever had is with the original Unreal. So about 10 years ago or when ever the hell that came out.. Will defiantly get in on this once I drop a new desktop if everyone sticks with it. :icon_happy:

update:

Ok I finally got level together. Pretty simple. giant piller with a wrap around stair case in the center of a 5-sided box. Along with a bunch of wall segments.

Really not that good imo. But I got to learn a lil.

To my understanding via the epic forums the ut3 content given in the udk can be used for non-commercial use. Given that I'll try to have and installer up by tomorrow for everyone to try.

Currently we've only got 3 weapons. I think the next item to figure out are creating custom weapons and getting at least 1 character. Both of these will be quite the challenge.

post-41-131528322139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Immortal Bob
  • 2 weeks later...

Belated, but are you thinking weapons along the lines of Hexen?

ya and some with a more sciencesk flavor, if i remember right hexen had a bit of magic mixed in? which i like. add in steampunk or such with a retro science feel too.

i didnt get a sense there was a lot of interest in this style tho.

so another idea was post apoch. with junk yard wars style weapons. like fallout. but less silly an alot more gritty

• 1 month later...