FunTimeBliss ::
Sign in to follow this  
Pic0o

Creative Recon3D PCI-e

Instead of a sudo-review thread, I'll cut to the cause for return on a Creative Labs Recon3D PCI-e. Everything was pretty good, except when my front channels got blasted across the wrong speaker placement.

Windows 7 x64 is my OS.

To 'fix' the glitch, I had to use the CP from Creative, to go headphone or from another mode back to 5.1 ch. If I did a Test run in the CP when it was trippin out, I'd get my mapped channels scattered from their actual placement. Toggle the output mode and the test was back to right physical outputs.

Luckily local shop didn't hassle when I returned for faulty surround sound. I also saw other folks have the same issue (at least since feb '12) with unsupported promises from Creative for 'fix in next version'. Since there aren't any other viable local card options, to the ordermobile I shall be going.

Looking for an Optical In capable card that will also play it on Stereo mix. I really would have been set, if this card would properly do 5.1, but alas and goodbye Creative I'll get the cheaper same spec card and fix it myself. I hear a few other cards develop an occasional static feedback... I'd be forced to smash that thing into a rage of rubble.

Edit to retort on stalking them if still an issue with alt, as everything else was pretty enjoyable. Other options weren't really sizing up and back on PCI is like my antib0x.

To no real shock, Channel Flip happens on non-illuminated version of Recon3D PCI-express card. I'm trying the older version 1_00_14 (Feb 2012) Drivers for my card, to see if weekend test can hang. Gimp output would be awesome, but that'd be fix nuff for now.

1_00_22 Driver pack was my prior (April 2012) with flopping audio sadness. I also noticed the other 2 upper-$$$ cards have pin-outs for the 5.25" bay Audio dock.

I am hood :wub: for my case, so I replaced my rheostat with a 3x fan 3.5" model. I can roll RAID+Data drives and a Disc ROM. Yay less frankenbOx :ahoy:

Edit:

After a week on old, flip channel still happens. Trying Windows 7 Patch for card, hopefully mode fix.

Post Windows Update addon, I may have had 1 channel switch. Could have been before reboot. :P Anyways, so far seems that may have restore some old calls? Would be magically precious if were the case.

Edited by Pic0o
Aug 2012 post-MS Update Patch for Sound

After the August patch, I only encounter occasional static on 2Ch video playback. 2.1 to 5.1 toggle clears this, much less occurring than prior glitch on the Fronts being juggled.

I still find the card a good score. Audio in and mixing to medias is completely in my interests and has become a hearty requirement. :)

October overview:

I ended up moving the card into the bottom PCI-e slot, as I had it in the 2nd 8x slot prior. Moving it from where I would have a 2nd Video Card for SLI seems to have helped a bit, since I have yet to hear this issue recur.

The push to move the card, was due to the front and rear channels straight up stopping any output on those channels. Verified the speakers were good, so then I moved the card to the bottom slot.

Edited by Pic0o
Card Slot move

It does seem the channel flip issue was fixed by the slot move to a 1x PCI-e slot. I primarly play with headphones on, but the switch issue would cloud audio on phones as well.

Anyways, Linux users may find themselves booting into an Ubuntu distro to find the Recon3D is not working / isn't selectable. Currently the only audio option I have in Linux, is my HDMI playback by Nvidia video card. Looking around I see some folks confirming the issue, but nothing specifically on how to resolve the lack of Recon3D inputs via pulse audio control.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151315Here[/url] is one of the better threads on the issue.

A big hurdle I have on my attempts in Linux Gaming land, are this card not detecting anything for audio on an Ubuntu install. I get my LCD HDMI device, but nothing for the card.

Researched around a bit but found nada. Hope to have better hunts, since this is really my only hurdle for Left 4 Dead linux efforts. Oh yeah Happy 4th!

Issue is still a thing. Would love a driver, Mac has once ffs :P

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=699748&page=5]Open Thread[/url]. Still looking for driver.

Linux Folks. Boot up a Kali distro and the card will work OK. Granted my headphone jack is the only easily working immediate port. I have to test more on the main outputs.

http://www.kali.org/

Headphones work fine, but there is an issue for a few seconds when you start playing audio. Switching inputs also does not appear to work either.

Sign in to follow this