TwentyThirteen

Pic0o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekends are for building. :bunny:

Might have a new build for my buddy show up today. Pretty nice specs, so I look forward to benchmark warz!

Rocking Talks from the Crypt with my Woofs. More local snow, light coverings. Makes having put my headlight replacement in, all the better done last night. I finally jumped on picking up StarCraft 2. Only played a few missions, but so far it's pretty good.

Heart of Swarm (Expansion) here ~ 2013/03/12. We'll see how I progress in Wings of Liberty campaign, first. :P

I am switching back to my SteelSeries Diablo 3 mouse, as on my current setup, I feel the Naga (OG model) is too high curved for my home usage. I like the side buttons, but I think the curve tradeoff isn't worth it.

Anyways, SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headphones, Fuckin Dayum, Yes Please.

I'm thinking about setting up my old laptop as a 24/7 personal LAMP server for development.... I don't think I even want to dual boot it... but my problem is, the laptop is like 7 years old.

@Pic0o - What would your thoughts be on the best flavor of linux that would support my basic driver setup, and be a nice minimal distro that's geared toward being a basic web server. I still want to run a GUI when I want to, though... but I don't need to have great video or audio support... just need basic video... no audio really... and network drivers.

I know I'm not being specific on model or anything, but just general thoughts would be cool. I haven't messed with linux in quite awhile.

Yeah homey, Minimal CD that nick linked, worked very well for me. Slower of an install as it only downloads what packages you select, but much better than a base Ubuntu install. Just be sure to click the right options on the install category list. Webby server and lighter UIs are also n that roster. :)

Some more info in the link on OP / Nix games thread, but I think that's most of it.

I've been lookin' at CentOS, since that's what was installed on some dedicated servers that client's I did work for had rented.

Recently been upgrading CentOS 4.x to 5.9 via SSH, and also upgrading to newest WHM/cPanel... kinda a learning experience, as it's been quite a bit since I've done linuxy server management type stuff. And.. never did a remote OS upgrade before.

What linux server management exp do you have pic0o? Is your professional exp mostly with win-based environments?

Next to none really for Nix Servering in the workplace. Short of setting up a test / diagnostic rig or web server, nix hasn't gotten much love in the workplace or was already deployed by time I got there.

I might have some afternoon stuff to rock, but should be home most of the weekend. Peeping that app load up too :D

For the New Era, I redid the smiley code. Older posts may look insane(rest) but the ':' wrapping should tip you off. Best of all, the gleam icon is now 8)

May it remain so, to the highest calling :sail:

Haha rock on man.

Yeah I'm looking at free alternatives to WHM and cPanel, since that shit is expensive to license. Seems like some good stuff around with the features I need... can do the rest through shell anyhoo.

Project-mode: GO!

I'm posting on my new CentOS6 install. Did a nice package list customization and then did some further yum and rpm adds and upgrades.

Decided to use Webmin as my WHM/cPanel alternative.

I completely formatted my laptop, so it's 100% a CentOS laptop that will stay on 24/7. I will SSH in from my local networked primary laptop for personal development, as well as general linux server admin education. I might perhaps open it up to outside access so I can SSH in from work, but will keep it internal until I am happy with security of it, etc.

Woop. Will post updates here as I continue to do random things probably. Boo, it's already mid-sunday. Blah. Yesterday I did another remote dedicated server OS upgrade that I needed to take care of before my hobby projects. No bathroom rehab stuff this weekend.

Can SSH in from main PC now and access server's web/ftp services, and access WebMin.

WebMin is a very nice free alt to the expensive WHM/cPanel. Very powerful. Control over hardware, drives etc. Firewall, Software packages, process management and what boots at startup, etc. Lots of system health overview, cron job management, user management, backup management, server management... list goes on. Very nice.

So I can pretty much just keep the server connected in the drawer of my TV Room entertainment shelf and do everything remotely from my couch 'top. haha.

Sweet.

And to wrap up, did a remote restart after updating etc/inittab to default boot at runlevel 3 (no gui). Think that's all the tinkering I'll do for today. Definitely think I will set it up to access from work though, for some SSH fun.

Nice progress! I spent the weekend doing laundry and playing games. Watched some X-files to finish Season 8, so I have one more season to complete there.

Currently being lightly blinded by the sun @ my desk, but that's where my hoodie is here to save the day. Tinkering my way through the day, so I can spend the night in Tomb Raider land.