Raspberry Pi

Pic0o

Howdy. I have been an owner of a Raspberry Pi here for a few months. I've tried a few of the distros such as NOOBS, RaspBMC, and Raspbian. You can pick from a quite wide selection on the Raspberry Pi site.

My hardware with my 1st board was a Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2. Big SD Card and the lip to go with the power input side being shared.

I was just trying to setup a Tor node with my device, but the mirror guide is out of date in the following guide. So instead I will continue installing SSH and things, from the Jan 2014 image provided at the download link.

Just for interests sake, I was trying to use NOOBS 1.3.4 as a main OS functions. Performance spikes to max level doing web stuffs heavy in multimedia (aka facebook). It was nice to know the performance of NOOBS, so I am giving Raspbian a whirl for more function based uses. Have fun. If you have the sub-$50 to pick one of these up, I woud give it a go.

SDFormatter is a handy application to have to bypass the Microsoft imposed limit, can make your SD card FAT32. You have many options for this, but on windows, large FAT partition making is limited by design. Quite silly, to be honest. Anyhow, copy the downloaded image onto the SD card, boot your device and you are installing an OS on your Raspberry Pi.

For raw .img file, you will want Win32DiskImager to write the boot items to your SD card. Heads up that Raspbian looks to be the N00BS installer, unless I had those mixed up. I just put the Raspbian install on here now and it looks exactly the same as when I had N00BS on here.

Back to Tor, once you get your Raspbian OS up, you will want to rock out with installing Tor. If not wanting to install Tor as a node, skip this post.

sudo apt-get install tor

Guide from this point onward, also including config info here

Now we need to edit the TOR configuration file . You can find it here: /etc/tor/torrc. Open this file with your favourite text editor an add/change these settings:

SocksPort 0

Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log

RunAsDaemon 1

ORPort 9001

DirPort 9030

ExitPolicy reject *:*

Nickname xxx (you can chose whatever you like)

RelayBandwidthRate 100 KB # Throttle traffic to 100KB/s (800Kbps)

RelayBandwidthBurst 200 KB # But allow bursts up to 200KB/s (1600Kbps)

As for a text editor, Vim will work on your Pi, so you don't have to use nano / pico. To no shock, you will install vim as such.

sudo apt-get install vim
If you do choose to use nano / pico, Ctrl+ the keys listed below are how you will use it. I am trying to keep this thread new to linux and command-line user friendly. :)

Scratch is a good learning editor and animation program suite. Drag boxes and sequences into the middle construct to make the spite on the right side move and interact. Condition based triggers can also be defined.

Nice for folks who do not know manual programming, while also giving the basics on how the logic operates.

• 1 year later...

I am currently booting up a Pi 2 Model B. Make sure not to have ExFat, as you may not see POST because the OS does not read on that FileSystem.

FAT32 will work. Once you get the installer running, it will re-make your file system and install the OS.

Windows 7 / 8 users. I issued a format command with the file system specified. Code syntax below.

format x: /FS:FAT32 /Q

/Q is for a quick format, else you will be waiting quite some time. The FS is the file system being defined for the drive and X: is whatever drive letter your Memory card / usb device is you are setting up for the Pi, on your local machine to prep the memory card.

I set my FAT32 install drive to 08 GB. Older format 32 GB limit handy to know. Max limit 02 TB. May still be error in included format utility... still. I say this as I got “The volume is too big for FAT32” when trying to format the whole SD card to fat32.

You could always use fat32format.

Edited by Pic0o

I am attempting to get a 3.5" display running for mobile output review. WaveShare / SainSmart 3.5" LCD is the device I am using.

Using this guide to get me along. This guide is relevant to my SainSmart 3.5" LCD.

You can also use the OEM Raspbian Image. This will allow the LCD to work instantly while also giving you options to toggle back and forth from HDMI and LCD.

Edited by Pic0o

Raspberry Pi approved upload and posting. Rolling the WaveShare / SainSmart 3.5" LCD and a photo captured with an infared camera. raspistill is a command for outputting images. Raspistill @ Raspberrypi.org has a good guide with bash batching out camera grabs to your storage of choice.

Posted and uploaded from my Pi 2 Model B 1GB

Lighter.png