Windows 10, Anyone?

Pic0o

Yesterday marked some information from Microsoft about Windows 10. Considering Windows 8 and 8.1 is still trying to get a foothold over Windows 7 and Win XP.

If anyone gets froggy and installs it, feel free to share feedback. If I free up a HDD, I might give it a trial run. Enjoy some talk about Asimov. A tool used in Windows OS to track what features users are using and how. Kind of creepy but I understand the applicable use they are gunning for.

Call me paranoid, I like to turn off as much of that 'phone home' crap as I can. Not just in Windows environments either. There was rumor that Windows 10 (9) will also be a free upgrade for Windows 8 users.

- I like the feedback I am hearing about new server backends. I will likely grab another SSD and setup a boot. HDD Encryption is something I am testing around more with lately too. Anyhow, the Preview is up for download.

Technical Preview

Edited by Pic0o

If I knew it did DLNA as it stands I would install it on my home PC, its more or less a file server at this point anyway. Either way I am cautiously optimistic on Windows 10, personally I think they should have followed the other naming convetion of products and went back to years. If that were done it would have the added joke of being Windows 7 + Windows 8 = Windows 15 !

I am fairly close to installing Windows 10 on the unused server sitting under my work desk though just to check it out.

Installed on my home machine, everything was working beautifully. Then I downloaded a driver update and now I get a good 10 minutes of boot out of it. I will be doing some troubleshooting to see if I can find an earlier version of the driver I think is causing the issue. Otherwise I need to decide what OS I want to use at home :P

In the time it was installed I liked it a lot. The metro stuff is still there and it still annoyed me, but much less. The change to Windows + E was my biggest rage! It no longer goes to Explorer but opens up a menu which you can get to explorer in a click but still.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is going pretty well. It was my video driver taking a dump all over the OS so I just uninstalled it and am using the Windows generic driver. I lost multi-monitor support but no crashes.

I also installed Windows 10 enterprise on my work machine, had a similar hiccup where the video card driver was causing a BSOD but luckily NVIDIA already had a driver update out to fix that so I manually updated there and now have only encountered minimal hiccups. Much less since moving to the latest build though (9879), my work PC got pushed that about a week ago and my home machine just got it tonight.

If you can get straight to 9879 that would probably be ideal, the only oddities I have seen myself are video drivers crashing, and Lync just generally running havoc on my work PC.

• 4 weeks later...

I got around to installing this, but decided to pop it up in a VM. VMWare runs 10 without any issues that I have seen. It is nice to see the hybrid start menu restore the application lists by a left-click. I haven't done much else in 10 yet besides browse some webpages. I did check my outbound connections and this RC is making quite a few outbound connections, seemingly back to Microsoft, as they disclosed the monitoring of usage for the pre-release.

Tons of privacy options when you first install the OS. I was pleasantly surprised that so many were defaulted to Off / Do no send. You can also still make an account without the online microsoft account. Select to make a new account, then you will see a 'No Thanks' option. This will let you make a local user account instead. I do still intend to have a hardware boot to test game performance. I may wait until the OS RC gets some more updates before I go for a direct hardware install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My immediate concern is the Free Windows 10 Upgrade for the 1st year for Windows 7 8 and 8.1 users.

Will that imply it is going subscription? I would much rather own my OS. I am going to mod it, that is my trade and hobby. I will and should always have the right to own it via 1-time purchase for that version. Not even getting into the quagmire that is Windows 8 > Windows 8.1 and being considered their own OS'.