FunTimeBliss ::
Sign in to follow this  
Pic0o

Super Mario Maker

Ok, so Super Mario Maker is a game, where you can make, and play Super Mario Levels. The game engines you can use are:

• Super Mario Bros (NES)
  • Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • Super Mario Bros U (WiiU)
I don't say this much, but the manual is really good. 10 Mario Challenge is your semi-randomized 8 level per world, single player challenge mode. 100 Mario Challenge is the online map version of the world map levels.

With the game, comes an idea book. Entering the codes provided on the in-game manual page... is staggering. I was watching gameplay videos and tutorials last night for at least an hour. So many things to tinker with and learn. I look forward to making some tripped out levels. The original Mario 1 levels on graph paper diagrams are amazing too. Nice to see the physics of different objects and jumps.

Also of note, are the autoplay levels, you can download from the community. I've watched some of the 'Dont press anything' levels and had my mind blown. This game is so meta, that I see if being a classic for years to come. The content options are so vast. Think of it as Mario Paint, but instead a level designer. All the extras and easter eggs in this game, are legit.

So if you have a Wii U, I would pick this up. If you do not have a console, I would really consider it. Especially if you are a fan of the classic Mario games and have an interest in making some levels.

I am going to throw this article about Nintendo aggressively removing speedrun content from Youtube, into this thread. I find this a very sad legal fallacy. Growing up we had Game Genies and other devices that let people modify the games, when direct memory access and emulation was not as accessible. Just because there is an online store to get the games, should not be justification to remove speedruns, just because they are played from ROMs for more analysis being feasible from an emulator.

I have actually obtained multiple purchased copies of Nintendo games (Konami and Castlevania titles as well). I dare say the bigger issue is the atrocious software terms of use, where it can only be played on said native platform and does not directly migrate to the next. When you buy something once, you should have ownership to do as you please, including remixing and testing for exploits in any manner you please; so long as it does not remove someone else ability to play their copy. How you can say that any emulated use of a game is 100% piracy, is a really bad joke that happens to be commonly accepted. Limiting creative outlets of people looking to explore more of a world you created... is incredibly short-sighted and disrespectful to your game or content's fan base.

Hack all the things, modify them, without being persecuted. Ideally would be the case on cease and desist & persecution being not a thing. Straight up, some of my initial thoughts on Super Mario Maker, is how much more could I do and/or rapidly could I do it, from a PC based editor.

Sadly, Nintendo is showing the community how scared they are of that prospect.

That is the wave of the future in general, the concept of ownership is being lost on the current generation of people.

Software as a service is the way to go as it is much more profitable to sell someone a yearly subscription then to sell something once every few years. It also allows for a much easier revenue prediction model.

In unrelated news, this newest console gen is terrible. Nothing but mobile games ported to consoles or 'rereleases' of the best of series from the prior gen. Sad thing is, if it did not make money the practice would stop....much like the awful state of DLC.

I am reminded of a monologue I believe Bruce McCullough did on MADTV many years ago, the punchline was similar to this re: the TV show friends:

Look I don't know whose friends they are but they're not mine. People look, if you just keep watching them they are just going to keep making them.

That last statement is how I feel about pretty much every form of mass media currently, everything is mostly terrible but it keeps making money so the cycle repeats.

/endrant.

I'm with you. The Sony and Microsoft consoles are laughable to me. I found a few goodies in Nintendo-Land to entertain me, but nothing really sticks.

I did finish the 10 Mario Challenge worlds of ~ 68 levels and 4 extra challenge maps. The challenge maps are intense.

A few PC games but overall, I've lost the interest in mediocre games. To be honest, I'm even curious about Fallout 4 and wonder if it will be more than a copy of the prior games.

Past few years there has been a golden age of indie titles going on beneath the surface... once you pick up a few streams in steam you'll just keep hitting on related awesome things. So many cheap games made by small teams with really unique ideas.

The mario maker thing is pretty interesting, though... but still won't be investing in a new console anytime soon. At one point I thought about it, but, decided, nah.

Sign in to follow this