Fallout 4

Pic0o

An 11-10-2015 approaches soon. I have a 24 GB download pre-load that was up for download tonight on Steam.

I also saw some articles noting the PC DVD release also ties into a steam account and as such, downloads the rest of the game while online. So a heads up for any from-disk installers.

I will be playing a controller and PC keyboard variation control scheme. It should be fun to mash on through the wasteland at midnight or potentially before, depending on when the game unlocks to play.

As usual with a pre-load, be sure to have plenty of free space on your hard drive. That 25 GB is going to get extracted on release, so one wants not to have an install free space issue.

If I run into any application based errors, I will share what I find and observe. Hopefully we shall not have any silly issues like that, short of maybe a console command for a bugged quest. Still, I'd share that as well.

Soon :) A full-screen world immersion will occur. There will be much rejoicing.

Live play info:

Still not having bug issues and I have over 10 hours or play on my save. I did have some close calls getting stuck in world map debris. Also had a dialog loop, that eventually timed out after a minute and resumed interactive dialog.

For a config / boast of smooth performance dialog:

• I am playing @ 1080P with Antialiasing @ TAA
  • Anisotropic Filtering @ 16 samples, on the Ultra preset.
I think the game looks awesome and holds a steady frame rate. I am playing on a Nvidia 980 GTX with an Intel 4690K i5-CPU. Game is also running on a solid state drive.

The app portion for the pipboy works good.

I dont have pipboy edition but the app on android or apple connects to main game. Uses local wifi. Also lets you keep map up while playing.

I have it running from my phone to a 24" lcd hdmi out adapter. Legit helpful for exploring like gba and gamecube device. Hooking up a mouse or trackball to the mobile is also helpful for the Pip navigation.

I am a few hours of play in now and am having a good time. I have not seen any game breaking or content impeding bugs so far. I am enjoying the narrative. Keeps the exploration engaging, with less of complete blind motivation on where to start checking out.

Updated main post. Game is live and I have been playing it.

I have been told playing without V Sync can cause to some issues with the stability. I have V-Sync on. I am a fan of lacking vertical chops on range dipping.

:ninjawub:

Fallout4 2015-11-16 19-51-49-21.bmp

Fallout4_DogemeatNPC.bmp

Fallout4-DogemeatNPC.png

Edited by Pic0o
Steam intel on bugs : ) Click Image if want .bmp
  • 3 weeks later...

Just adding some extra details on my playing experience and bugs. Functionally I have not hit any game-breaking or quest bugs. However I did see the graphic glitch where the screen frame renders offset to the background.

This issue is especially likely to happen while in power armor. Considering it's on the title page, I do not consider that a spoiler. Exiting the game and re-loading fixes the graphic alignment glitch. However you are still able to keep playing while it is in glitched mode, as to avoid restarting.

I'm about Level 19 with 1.5 days (in save time) of playtime. I am destroying enemies with Pistols and Energy Weapons, as I tend to level into the sciences and perception categories.

Side Quests feel a little dry to me, so I am focusing on the main story. The side content feels too simplistic in {"Go to place, explore it and kill all enemies or find a thing"}. Some of the areas are multi-story massively easy to get lost in, buildings, in respect to side quests I did complete.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I ended up getting a credit roll (beating) Fallout 4. I will share my opinions of the game in a spoiler-based story of my experience.

If you want to know without spoiler reading my opinion... It is that the game is a bit too long on main story quests, side content and it's tie-in to the main story. Too much reaching into multiple game systems, while leaving the narrative and exploration too light.

Like I said, this is a story based spoiler / review. Stop reading now if you don't want plot stuff leaked at your eyes / on-screen reader.

With the gender pick option for my character, I went with a Woman avatar to play as. Story starts with the husband being shot and your kid being taken, after the rush into the vault sequence before the nukes dropped. You are in cryo for about 100 years and then starts your gameplay / character experience. Square one being to find out where your kid went, as you believe he has been out of cryo ~10 years before you thawed out and hit the wasteland.

You will be routed to visit the core towns with the story line. Also if you take up with The Minutemen (one of 4 factions), you will be on some exploration and defense quests. Granted, this will be the same boat for either of the factions you choose. Let me mention one of the bugs I encountered with Minutemen progression:

If you want to continue with the main story, you need to go to The Institute and start a fire-fight. Coming back to talk with Preston Garvey will then, start the next quest, if you are on the Minutemen path.

Ok, I was not a fan of the Weapon modification system, town building, item storage and especially, side missions for factions. The faction missions annoyed me for length and the attempts to mesh the town building into the story. It felt like too many systems, instead of a focused game experience. I get what they were going for but it felt tacked on and like filler. The item management, is quite frankly a nightmare. Storage benches are handy for storage, but the lack of a cross-linked "Vault" to store your items, that you can hit from any town, seems asinine. I rate this as a time-sink, even with there possibly being a supply quest that links the towns storage. Why not just do this by default? Same complaint for Junk inventory management. Store all junk is great, but why no 'Remove all junk from storage?'. This screams community mod, but why should there need to be a modification for a, seemingly obvious bad design call. It just felt like a waste of time. Managing gear felt like Muling in an MMO. That stuff takes time.

My difficulty jump (playing normal) kicked in around level 25. I was on the main quest and fought an NPC who was Level 34 or so. It was tough, but I got armor upgrades from them. At this point, I leveled quickly, as I was getting around 80 to 100 XP per kill, versus 20 XP or so on the prior missions. This had me jump to mid-30s in a few hours. It also made gun fights more satisfying, to the point my pistol alone would not hack it.

I did like the Power Armor Modifications, as it was a little helpful avoiding as many repairs. I set Goodneighbor as my root town, where I stored my junk and did Power Armor modifications.

As I played, I maxed Intelligence, with some mid-range points into Endurance. I have just shy of 3 days of playtime and probably around 55-60 hours of play time (without afk) This worked well for using Power Armor, as I decided was a good move. Especially as I found plenty enough nuclear cores to have about 10 left after the last main mission. I ended the game @ Level 34. Majoring with Pistols, Rifles and Energy Weapons. Missiles and Grenades were also commonly used. No joke around the 30th hour, I was playing to complete and the honeymoon of exploration and narrative was over for me.

By time I got near the end game, I fixed my glitch issue and went with my faction so I could be finished.

To conclude, it was a passable game. I got my play time from it but do not see myself putting any more time into the side quests or the like.

Edited by Pic0o
Added 25 to 34 Level feedback (in spoiler)