Sign in to follow this  
propeck

Hmm,.. not enough about Computer Audio in here!~

I'm done with modding computer hardware. My last build featuring a Intel 2500k chip with 8GB ram (out of a 16GB set ordered, one bad stick), and a couple of Crucial SSD's, a small one for the OS and Programs on the other, was the first desktop I'd built where I never felt it worth the bother to OC. I still tweak out my GTX 770 4GB card, but not much.

My dwindling interests in video games were replaced by a return to music appreciation, and I got rid of my old (but newer) stereo and replaced it with a 1979 Yamaha CR-2040 (120w/ch & way underrated at that) hooked up to a pair of Cerwin-Vega dx9's. I hooked up the computer to it with a Muse dac that was fed power and signal by a USB coming from the desktop, but it sounded pretty bad. So I found another dac disguising as a headphone amp (SMSL SD793-II) that could accept the optical out from my Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD card, and now I have all the features the card has to offer, and it sounds incredible.

Awesome! Especially you dropping in and posting here :)

I have a SoundBlaster Recon3D PCIe card, that mains it's purpose as an optical-in audio port. This is great for playing HDMI content to my LCD, out my PC Speakers. As for those, I have a Logitech x-530 speaker set coming off the card.

However for linux boots, I have my onboard sound card enabled, as the Recon3D has limited support at best, due to a lack of software support and hardware input switching. So in that case I roll the Realtek card on my motherboard.

I am also of the dwindling video game playing lately. Been reading some more books, exploring Raspberry Pi devices and various other random things. It's funny you note the minimal overclocking too. On my prior build, I noticed overclocking gave me higher benchmark scores, but tended to introduce micro-stutter to games and benchmarks. You could see it visibly but on the reporting side of benches, it wasn't really apparent.

I did decide to grab Batman Arkham Knight on steam sale, as it looked interesting for some time and I hoped they addressed the stability issues by patching. Besides that, I'll play some platformers or something to relax, as the creative era of games is lacking imo, at this time.

People can make them look great, but the enjoyable content and story gets lost in the render budget, I think. More Function over Form could help with that, I guess. Fallout 4 felt like it was trying to do everything while exceeding at nothing. The story content felt like it had no drive to it, just copy-paste templates and narrative.

I've just been playing that World of Tanks/Warships thing. Back to good ole shooters.

My Soundblaster was made with audiophile in mind. It really makes a great pre-amp. Nice Burr-Brown dac and replaceable op-amps (and yes i have upgraded them =)). After it, they went from X-Fi to your SoundCore. I hear the newer ZXR's are really nice, too. That Recon 3D was the first SoundCore and was raked over the coals critically. Trade it in for an X-Fi Titanium HD or the newer ZxR. :)

What's Joker been up to? He still have a TS server up?

Edited by propeck

I blasted you in PM Propeck! We are playing some casual BF4, check out the thread in the games section. It's more about a game we can play together as a reunion.

So far we have a few, and I'm hoping for a lot more

TS info is in the BF4 thread my homey

Sign in to follow this