Sign in to follow this  
Pic0o

Legacy Game Play

In the nature of running DosBox, finding patches for XP games so they run under Windows 7 and higher... anyone who has walked down this path knows it can be a struggle. Luckily, the gaming community is pretty dedicated to keeping older items playable in newer platforms.

I have a Core 2 Duo machine with Windows 7 Home on it. I picked up one of those OEM refurbished HP sp7800 small form factor machines for $60 USD. While the onboard video is lacking, I imagine it will do pretty well for older games. Having heard someone's kid be like 'Hey I wanna play Quake' outside of the hackerspace, I knew I should get on that task.

I had Windows 10 on here for a little bit, but the Core 2 Duo rig did not fair too well in the performance arena. Rolling back to Windows 7 (fresh reinstall) should help keep the IOPS down from all the extra services running on Win10. Of course for the thrill of testing, I will install Red Faction on here to see how it runs.

Worms World Party and other LAN classics should also make the list. I figure that will be a fun machine to have in the space, especially if people bring guests who aren't as interested in the technical chat. It also gives downtime to people who worked a little too long and want to unplug from critical thinking. :) Or more like when playing, higher crits on that thinking.

Forget not, Archive.org in-browser running games. Classic Arcade also one of many options. Choose your adventure.

Edited by Pic0o
Link added. Got lazy lika tweet

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this