What's up?

Pic0o

If you wanted to play any games, I'm mostly playing Nintendo Switch and PC games.  The PC side is mostly exploring VR content.  I added my Nintendo friend code in my profile / user block, so feel free to add me up.  I have Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 for multi and am replaying Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

In respect to security, 2017 is a rolling dumpster fire.  It's hard to link all the crazy breaches this year, but there seems to be a new one almost weekly at this point.  Security is hard but I feel like lowest bid and lowest effort are a huge factor in many of these.  Nothing is perfect but most of these seem to have forgotten basic practices.  I tend to focus on how the systems are laid out, to then know what should not be open to the public internet.  I have seen some thing that instill terror for sure.

Speaking of terror, VR horror games are insane.  I only lightly dabbled in a few because being in a virtual horror world, is pretty creepy.  I am also hoping Don't Knock Twice gets locomotion support soon, so I can terrify myself a bit with that.

Another random note is some MicroSD cards I bought failed, but it turns out SanDisk has 10 year warranty.  Emailed support, sent front and back pics of cards, then got a shipping label to return them.  Yay to having some extra storage for the switch and whatever else around the house.  Winding down here to say Happy Fall!  I'm looking forward to the temperature dropping a little bit since 80 F+ temps are a little much for me.

I forgot to mention a RetroUSB HDMI NES console showed up a couple of weeks ago.  Playing Nintendo classic games directly outputted to HDMI is super crisp.  It took several months for my order to come in from the manufacturer but I am really a big fan of this console.  Between the day job, a little side-work and researching, I like to try and relax with some games.  That's not much of a shock if you have been to these forums before.

Enjoy the upcoming Halloween season! :)

I have also been doing extra consultation work to help someone get their backups running, an idea of what they have on the network and some performance tuning.  That tends to put new projects here on the site pretty low on the list, as you may be able to tell with the CMS on the page index.

It's not the most appealing task, but I see so many places lacking documentation.  Like what do you have here, let alone how does it work?  Are these things getting patched and what do they connect to?  I dabble in lots of things but I hold on to being a generalist, since it helps me have a good understanding of how things work and how to fix them in a pinch and to try optimize them.  I have done a little work with DevOps but I kind of chuckle if the premise is to spawn a new server instance in the event of a failure without seeing why it failed.  That would be an automated fail loop.  Haha I get it, some people gotta go fast and do not have the time to check their work.  I'm not saying everyone ignores the failures and means to fix them, but it seems easy to shrug off an issue if you can spin up a new environment in the event of fail, and presume all is well until the next time.

I remain to enjoy naps.  Also occasionally leeching free wifi to play online games.  Walking dogs is what's up too.
I still crawl around social networks a bit, but some days I consider deleting my accounts.  I did that on MySpace but then someone just relaunched my username with their account.  Hahaha, good times.

• Like 1