Sign in to follow this  

Edge of Nowhere

Edge of Nowhere is a VR exclusive game for the Oculus Rift.  It's hard to get a good idea of this game from all the extremely varied reviews.  Another large point is that this game came out in the infancy of the Consumer Version of the Oculus Rift headset.  As I picked up my headset in the Summer of 2017, I had a nice gap from when people played on release the prior year.  Of note too, Touch controllers work in this title, so you don't have to play with an Xbox Gamepad.
The button config will display in-game for Xbox buttons, but the touch works as if it were a split Xbox gamepad.

Starting right out the gate, this is a shorter game.  Probably 4 to 6 hours approximate playtime.  I am maybe an hour before wrapping up the story.  Now that we got that out of the way, this is like playing a 3D world rendered in VR Tomb Raider, with a H.P. Lovecraft inspired story.  Without spoiling your adventure, you are exploring some very cold region searching for your missing companions and will discover some things along the way.

There is combat.  Some is stealth while some parts will require you to take down some baddies.  They are creepy, as is the content this game covers.  Between combat you will have some platforming, while some sections will be narrating a story as you move.  The game does a great job setting a mood, telling you a story and instilling the tenseness of your situation exploring the ice.

I should finish this up tonight or shortly this week.  I have to say I do enjoy it and would suggest it if you want to play some distinct VR games.  If you can get it on a sale, I would especially recommend it.
As a side note, if you want a similar but more robust character and RPG-like experience, certainly peep Chronos.  If you played Chronos already, welcome Edge of Nowhere into your library.

I finished this up last night.  I stand by the above in saying it's worth a play.  Honestly if it were too much longer, it would have outstayed it's welcome.  Seeing the story pan out was a good time.
A sad part is no option to replay cutscenes or anything, short of starting a new game.  Funny note that once you finish the story, your save game restores to showing you the credits again.

If possible, it would be nice to have a chapter replay and cutscene option.  It would make for a great way to demo the game and reply spots on the fly, upon clearing it.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this