All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. I will edit this over time but I wanted to have the thread up to start with. Overview objectives: - Stop camera from saving GPS to photos. - This is in your Camera App Settings, not System device settings. - Device Settings: - Lock Screen and Security: - Set lock mode and passcode to unlock device. - Password, PIN, Pattern, Swipe, None. - Biometrics. Face, Iris or Fingerprints - I do not use or particularly like any of the biometric means for device locking. - App Shortcuts: Define what apps can be used while phone is locked (IE Phone calls and Camera) - Find my mobile. Anti-theft and traacking options for your phone. - Remove controls: Allows phone to be remotely controlled via your Samsung account - Google location service. Allow GLS to give more accurate location info to where your mobile is. - Send last location. Allow your phone to broadcast last location when battery hits a certain level of charge. - Encrypt SD Card. Your files on the SD card will only work with your phone. If phone is reset to defaults, you will not be able to read the encrypted files anymore and would have to re-format the card. - Secure Lock Settings - Secured lock time - Auto factory reset. After 15 failed passwords (will also erase all your data on phone) - Lock network and security. Prevents disabling Wifi and mobile data when your phone is locked, to make someone stealing your phone easier to track by device. - Notifcations. Choose to hide notification messages on lock screen. - Define what apps can put notifcations on the lock screen. - Hide content of message on lock screen from displaying. (Highly suggested to be on) - Notification icons only. Just show app icon without details, on lock screen. - Device Settings - Location - Turn GPS on or Off. Besides privacy and tracking being less accurate, this can save a large amount of battery life. Turn this off when not needed for directions. - Google Location History. You can disable this from saving where you have searched and have been. - Google Location Sharing. Can share 'Real-time location' with someone of Google. You can turn both of these off and GPS maps will still work fine. The sharing and history are not needed, just GPS being turned on. - Device Settings: - Apps. - See installed apps - Review and define App-specific system-level Permissions granted to device. - Decide if you wish to disable some apps completely or uninstall them. - Review battery usage and mobile data use, per app. - Device Settings: - About phone. - Shows phone number, model, serial number and IMEI. - Software Information. - Show Android version - Android patch level - Various system level information.
  3. Earlier
  4. Pic0o

Hallotime

Just bumping a 2009 thread because I wanted to find the artist lordworm who made the logo and did give their blessing to use it for the site. Back when Invision Logos had to be, like really small. 😛 I may very well try to buy a print of this from them too, for home. https://lordworm.deviantart.com/art/Arrival-of-Cthulhu-6627309
  5. I have done some maintenance on Mac laptops before and have a Mac Mini myself. I haven't had any issues with the Mini, but I did with a 2015 Macbook Pro. Initial issue was some screen damage that looks like a residue stuck on the screen. Turns out that was an issue with some Mac models, including the Macbook Pro 2015 model due to the anti-glare coating they used. Fortunately, since they got their laptop at an Apple store, they had 4 year coverage and the repairs were free. There is also a recall / free replacement for the logic board. That repair was $575, before the cost was zeroed out because a warranty repair. The new screen was crystal clear again and the laptop continues to soldier on. We got this repaired in January of this year. Item Number Description Price Amount Due S1586LL/A Labor Charge, PBG4/MBP15" $ 100.00 $ 0.00 S5741LL/A Flat Rate 2 Repair Charge MBP15/MBP17 $ 475.00 $ 0.00 Total (Tax not included) $ 575.00 $ 0.00 Lo and behold, I was visiting a couple days ago, and the same MacBook Pro (2015) rebooted to give the following error: [auth] failed to write file <private> At the bottom of an error log display. if you have an nvidia MacBook Pro 2015) and update to 10.13.4, you're gonna have a bad time. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8338509 I followed the suggestion to select the Boot Disk option, then to pick the Mac Hard Drive to have it boot normally. This 10.13.4 issue looks to have just started again the other day (5/30). Hopefully an update will address this, because a recovery log screen is pretty daunting, especially for someone who does not normally see error logs, as I will generalize and say is the case for many Mac users who do not work in tech. Needless to say they were happy when I got it to boot back up and she will continue delaying the prompts to install updates on OS X.
  6. Pic0o

Play a Game? (Game tracker)

I'm pretty keen to play the Switch Pokemon games of Let's Go Pikachu! and Let's Go Eevee! [Official site] for the game is live and it comes out November 16th 2018. From what I saw, it looks like the story is a retelling of Pokemon Yellow with an emphasis on being easier to play? Sure, I'm down as the last Pokemon I played was Black on DS. There will be inter-connectivity with Pokemon Go, if you're into that as well. There is also going to be a Pokeball controller. Fallout 76 was announced and a trailer shown, but that's about it. I'm currently playing Skyrim again on my Switch and am using the sneak level method on Einarth to level up crazy quick. I played Skyrim once so I forgive myself for cheesing some levels. 😉 Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon released for PC and consoles. I kickstarted the main game, Ritual of the Night and got a code for Steam to play this mini-Castlevania 3 like game. It's pretty good without being crazy hard to start like the old NES games. There is some extra content to sink your teeth into as well, but I did an initial play-through in 3 hours. Very cool a game for $10 bucks. It's an 8-bit like adventure without the limitations of the original hardware. Oh yes, I also played the Legendary (main story mode) of Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. Quite a long story run with all of the DLC content that is included with this version from the Wii U and 3DS editions of the game that came prior. I only cracked the surface of all the Adventure Mode maps, once I cleared the story content. I haven't got to try local multiplayer yet, but it certainly has 2 player co-op. If you want to romp in a Dynasty Warriors style game, I suggest this but you can also jump into One Piece: Pirate Warriors or the Fire Emblem Warriors games, depending on your universe of interest. I haven't tried those 2 out myself though.
  7. Pic0o

GDPR details

Here we strive to put the FU in FuntimeBliss. Ideally typing 'fu' in the address bar auto-completes you to here. I've never sold nor will sell user data. Shit I don't even run advertisements, because I honestly loathe them and find online marketing creepy. As noted before, I'm pretty sure this site has been excluded from Google search results for years now. The closest thing to mailing lists I have, are when I have sent admin emails out to members. I mostly wanted to make this thread as a joke, since everyone seems to have gotten a huge swath of emails about 'updated privacy policies'. Here I'm just trying to make information available. Thanks for reading and visiting. Special thanks to the forum members as well.
  8. Pic0o

Elgato HD60 S

I've been toying with getting a HDMI video capture device for some time now. Checking around I decided to go with an Elgato HD60 S - USB 3 capture device. I considered the PCI-e options but I wanted the USB 3 option for my laptop use also. I was also able to pickup the capture device locally so that was a nice bonus. If you want a 4k capable capture card, the 4k PCIe device goes for around $400. I got the HD60 S for $180 and if you want the PCIe HD60 Pro, it's normally +$20 for that PCIe model. Now that you know about their capture line of products, we can get into usage. There is a power connector USB type-C connector, HDMI input and a passthru HDMI output. You can use the Game Capture HD software from Elgato to play your input device on your desktop monitor (as a window or full-screen). I did notice the frame rate seems lower than if you play directly on your monitor by changing the display input to use the pass-thru (raw display). Mostly I noticed this playing faster rate game likes Naruto Storm Trilogy. This this being said, I did not notice any input lag or audio delay. Just the seemingly lower frame rate, despite the device capturing @ 1080p 60 fps (frames per second). If you like muxing audio with your game playing, I tend to open Game Capture HD or OBS Studio, so that I can play music while listening to in-game audio. Basically what I did on the Xbox 360 as it had it's own media player. If you would like to see video quality via streaming, check out my Twitch channel. I started out streaming with the Game Capture HD software from Elgato and then switched to OBS Studio, once I figured out Sources control. OBS Studio works very well with this. I did notice a glitch where you want to have the HDMI device turned on, before opening OBS Studio or you will hear a weird static noise. I would say OBS has better control options but the Game Capture HD is much easier to use. A nice feature of the Game Capture HD Software is it will let you change your Twitch.tv info in the program, without needing to navigate your way to the Dashboard | Live settings on the twitch site, for each stream. Speaking of Game Capture HD software, it will write temp files out while running, so be sure to have free space or change your settings to write them out to a disk with space, HDD or large SSD. I'm writing to an HDD currently. If you ever wanted to play something in VR on a big virtual screen like BigScreen or the Oculus Home environment, both of the viewer programs will go full-screen and you can play away with your headset on and potentially stream that environment out as well. Game streaming is cool but since this is a HDMI capture device, you can also plug in a computer or laptop and capture that as well. You can capture BIOS video as well but that will depend on your device and if it outputs POST info over HDMI. I say this as my laptop does not do this, but my desktop will, so long as I don't have a DisplayPort monitor connected. If you ever dealt with desktop capture software and found some of it wonky, this is a nice method to outright capture anything you would typically see on a display and record it to video or a stream. If you want to blank the screen or show a title card, OBS Studio will allow you to do this while recording, if you wish to avoid doing it in post-editing. I started dabbling with that on my twitch stream as well. Wrapping up, this is a good device that works well. I noted the framerate drop when playing on your desktop but want to note it's not unplayable at all. Audio and Input button presses register without any lag I could notice. The included software is quite nice and gets you started without having to learn the ropes around using OBS Studio for Streaming and Recording. The USB HD60 S makes a great option if you ever wanted to be able to record a PC boot process and desktop environment without using desktop capture software, thus removing an OS-specific means to record. Using the recording software and drivers, Elgato has native support for Windows and OS X. I have not tried to record anything in Linux yet. Using the output passthru port lets you play at native console resolution and frame rate, while you record or stream on your desktop. It's a fun device and highly suggested if you want to get into some video capture for under $200 USD. FYI this will not allow you to capture video from a HDCP device like a Google Chromecast. You will see a black screen and the Elgato Game Capture HD and a red icon that says HDCP with a line going through a circle icon. A Roku will allow you to record it at the OS-level but if you try to play video, it will honor the HDCP request not to show video and put an overlay over the video, noting HDCP lockout. So long as HDCP is not restricting your device, you should have no issues capturing video. Searching around it appears you have an option to disable HDCP for Playstation 4 consoles. I do not have one so I cannot verify this but Elgato has a PS4 guide to disable HDCP.
  9. Pic0o

Play a Game? (Game tracker)

Thanks to an early birthday gift I am now dabbling in the art of video capture over HDMI. Elgato HD60 S is a quality capture device with HDMI pass-through, so you can play directly on a display, or in the Game Capture HD window while recording or streaming. Anyways, I also have a Twitch.tv page up with some PC and console recordings. I'm not really into the whole talking over gameplay, so I either mix in music or just let it go with game audio. I'm still mainly playing on Switch and PC currently so the below upcoming titles reflect this. Switch Okami Switch - 2018-08-09. Never got to play this out yet. Captain Toad Switch - July 13th. Extra Levels over the Wii U version and this is one of my favorite games. Tablet mode on the switch will be way better than it was on Wii U. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 2018-05-18. I played this before on Wii U but am getting this for all the DLC and portability along with performance improvements. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King - This is out. I'm just waiting to pickup once I finish another game or two. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - Aug 28th. This is a localized port of Monster Hunter XX Double Cross from Japan. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - I loved these games so the next one is a natural pickup for me. The World Ends With You - Another DS port I never got to play. Bloodstained - Kickstarter that is looking to ship semi-soon but with no confirmed date. PC Monster Hunter World (PC) - Sometime this Fall 2018 but they need to design the online topology for PC so it may be delayed. I'm currently playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Thank goodness for Funky Kong mode because the levels can kick my ass around a bit. I'm on the 5th world currently and I think the Mine Cart levels are some of the hardest. Level design is enjoyable and the boss fights are pretty distinct too. Haha you can see me get smacked around a bit on my Twitch streams I have archived. I finished main game this week - 2018-05-16. Some frustrating moments but a good time. Enjoyable platformer indeed. I have some hidden levels to find and finish up. Beat Saber is pretty fun. It's a VR title where you slash blocks and avoid obstacles like a Guitar Hero like game. There is also a modding community that is pretty sick and likely to keep that game popular for quite some time. I enjoy VR but it needs to continue getting quality developers making content. The downside is most devs are not really flipping a ton of profit for their work and time. Hopefully VR adoption picks up over time. I know the Oculus Go dropped recently but that's more of a mobile VR platform (GearVR) than it is a desktop graphic and interaction capacity.
  10. Pic0o

Forensic drive imaging with dd

I just wanted to add that you can use a filename for input and output of dd images. I've tested this so I can have multiple images on a large disk. Reworking the above dd line, here is a method for writing to a .iso for that disk image. dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/pi/DriveMountName/ImageDisk.iso bs=16384k status=progress To use the media path, you want to have your external drive mounted. Since we are writing out a file instead of going directly from disk to disk copy, the /media/ path allows you to target your output into a block for block image file. Same conditions apply for restoring from an image file. Make sure your drive is mounted then target your if= string path to the /media folder where your .iso you created resides. dd if=/media/pi/DriveMountName/ImageDisk.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=16384k status=progress Finally, for conversations sake I wanted to note I am using similar USB docks and drives on a USB3 enabled laptop and I'm maintaining about 45 MB/s having written out 29 of 500 GB on a drive image write-out. At 2.5x the speed as on a Pi, this should wrap up much quicker than 7 hours. Update: Finished image on this laptop in 13344 seconds @ 37.5 MB/s. In other words 3.7 hours / 3 hours and 45 minutes. Edit to add I also confirmed the .iso file image and the output disk matched via sha256sum also. The slower drive was in a USB dock via USB 2.0 SATA 3, where the source .iso was on a USB3 SATA6 external disk. The USB dock check took about 4 hours, where as the external USB3 drive sha256sum signature finished up much quicker.
  11. Pic0o

Final Fantasy XV

I forgot to mention. I followed a suggested content guide for when to play DLC packs to match along in the main story. Minor spoilers in the quoted Steam thread but highly suggested main game to DLC path quoted below: Via this Steam review thread. Reminder that the 4 DLC packs are included with purchase of the PC edition.
  12. Pic0o

Final Fantasy XV

I recently wrapped up main story play and half of the DLC expansions. I feel it started out slow but by time I hit Chapter 04 or so, I was enjoying myself and the uptick in play and story. Of note, I played on Easy because I'm not a fan of grueling RPG combat. I wrapped up main story in around 45 hours. Semi spoilerish but the total amount of chapters is . I played the game in 4k resolution. Roughly averaging 45 FPS the whole time, while enjoying insane quality looking gameplay. If I had any slowdowns, it was with cut-scenes as opposed to combat. I did have some game crashes (4 total), but not until the final chapters. Checkpoint saves do a good job but I suggest manually saving to be safe. Especially after a boss fight, etc. The skill trees are quite robust. There is also a Wait menu combat system, but I stuck to action mode, short of trying the wait system when I started playing. If you want to try the game out, there is a demo as well on Steam. I mentioned crashes and performance. To note I'm playing with 32 GB DDR4 with an Intel i7-7700k and a Nvidia 1080 Ti (with 391.35 drivers on Windows 10 Pro Build 16299 / 1709) . Running the HD assets along with the main game has my total install folder at 148 GB. I am playing from a Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD that the game is installed on. My Main OS is running off a Samsung 960 EVO M2 SSD. I did not have the courage to see read speeds from a mechanical hard drive. Quick note, there are performance display options in the FFXV menus. I recall seeing load speeds be around 240 MB/s on the load screens. Back to graphics, my card's memory usage for 11 GB hit 96% usage and 100% GPU usage. Mostly when I had in-game crashes, I would see the 'nvidia driver stopped working' error come up. As I mentioned I saw this 4 times total, so I would not consider this game-breaking, since I would reboot and be fine afterwards, until the next crash that typically were hours to days apart. With the tech details out of the way, I feel the game was enjoyable, looked excellent and also plays well. If you want to run at a higher frame rate, you can set your game options up to 120 FPS. I did not really try playing @ 1080p, largely because I used the benchmark utility to get as close to a playable 4k resolution as I could. If you would like an RPG to scratch your itch, I would suggest giving this a play if you haven't yet. I also played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and really enjoyed my time with it, but Final Fantasy XV is going to be more kind to your time, with less grinding mechanics than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had. Granted XB2 now has an easy combat option too, so that might bring that main story playtime down. Wrapping up, Final XV uses some classic Final conventions while also taking some liberties with story and play mechanics. I was glad when I had time to sit down and play, as those sessions tended to be pretty lengthy.
  13. Pic0o

Switch dock warning firmware 5.0

I tried letting it sit in the dock after 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 and have not seen any issues. I don't know good details on why it may have happened, but so far so good. :) Thanks for adding to the feedback too. P.S. I have not used the USB Network Adapter on my dock since though.
  14. Pic0o

PS4 Controller PC Use

Cool, I have a PS4 DualShock 4 thread on here. Starting out, DS4Windows is an abandoned software that has been replaced with InputMapper. By that I mean, the people who worked on DS4Windows switched to developing InputMapper. I have been using it for a month or so and it is vastly more reliable and functional than the DS4Win was. With DS4Win, you may have seen the issue of needing to close and re-open the app for it to properly detect and attach to your controller. I registered my copy for like $10 to remove the ads and support the dev folks. You can still connect by cable or Bluetooth using InputMapper. If you get errors about 'Not in exclusive mode', you want to get the 'InputMapper HidGuardian' installer from their downloads section. It will add a service called InputMapper Cerberus Whitelister. This will fix that issue up and allow you to have nicely emulated Xbox 360 controls. For conversations sake, I am currently playing Final Fantasy XV with this control method. Be warned when connecting by Bluetooth, you might see a new sound device... that is the bottom headphone jack on the controller. Main reason for posting an update in this thread, is that my DualShock 4 controller has the dreaded 'fails to charge battery' issue. iFixit guide for replacing the battery. However with some searching around, there is potentially an issue with the USB port on the top charging as well? It's weird because I can play connected by USB to my PC without issue and I can also play Bluetooth but I have to plug into an AC charger for the gamepad to stay on. After I have it on for a little bit I can unplug the cable and keep playing, but overnight the battery will once again be dead. Recapping that, it does look like the battery is dead on this model CUH-2CT1U. Just in case you run into a similar issue. Oh, it turns out my controller battery is still good. There is a glitch with it reporting as dead, but if you plug it into a charger then remove it, you will have full battery then show up in InputMapper.
  15. Raspberry Pi dd imaging guide. Preface: This guide is for sharing a forensic approach to imaging a hard drive or solid state device. I tend to not see many forensically tooled guides, so this one covers imaging from the perspective, that you need a verifiable image of a drive you will be working with. I am writing it will full intent to be useful without needing to have a Write-blocker or needing to run and wait for the sha256 signature checks to be run. In effort to be accessible I will cover the imaging of a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian and getting that running. If you are familiar with that process, please jump ahead to the Action section. My logic for using a Raspberry pi is because they are some of the cheapest functional computers one can get. My logic for imaging the Pi fresh from an ISO, is to be sure no extra data is left over on the Pi from any previous projects you might have been doing in the past. I want to add a side-note that you can follow the steps under action for almost any Linux distribution on various hardware. I have done similar on a current era laptop running Tails before. Your CPU heavy tasks like sha256sum will likely run much faster than on the Pi 2 I used for this guide. USB hard drive performance may also run higher based on your USB drive connectors and laptop, versus a Raspberry Pi 2. Just for point of reference, I wanted to mention this. Preparation: Tools needed: Raspberry Pi SD Card A USB to MicroSD reader (to image your Pi) Power Supply HDMI Display Keyboard and probably a mouse Post-It notes to label your drives A USB powered hub (you want this for use with the external drives) A USB SATA Dock USB Write-blocker to prevent making changes to source drive. (or you can use a second USB dock but cannot count on the full unchanged integrity of the source USB drive.) As I mentioned the Write-blocker, that will increase your cost quite a bit. Roughly $300 if you are going to use a Cru ComboDock 5.5 that I use. You are still fully able to follow this guide without one, but minor changes to your source drive may happen while you read data from it (especially if you browse the drive contents and it generates thumbs.db files) and that would cause a problem in the sake of capturing a forensically sound image of that source drive. With that noted, let's get the Raspberry Pi ready to go with a fresh install of Raspbian OS. Download latest Rasbian to your main computer you are reading this from. Install to sd card with etcher imager (resin.io is the imager I used to write the .iso to MicroSD Card) Put sd card in your Pi and boot it up. Bring up a terminal and set pi passwd (default password is: raspberry) Raspberry Pi Configuration can be found under Preferences on the menu of Raspbian Desktop. On this first tab of System you can change the bottom options: Disable auto login Boot to CLI Now that we have the Pi booted and setup, let's jump into the Actions portion of the imaging. Actions Hook up source drive (If no write-blocker, use a USB drive bay / or external drive). Follow the below steps to identify your source drive. No gparted on Raspbian anymore, so use Parted in the terminal. sudo parted -l Typically the first usb drive will be /dev/sda. Also cross reference the output to make sure it matches to the size of the drive you just hooked up. (500 GB source drive in my case) You can also type ls /dev/sd* in a terminal to see what drive is connected. Now that we know what the source drive is, go ahead and hook up the destination drive you are using to be the clone of your source drive. In another terminal, type sudo parted -l again. In my case I now see a /dev/sdb. This is my second drive I will be using to write the clone of the source drive to. (1000 GB destination drive in my case) For your sake, this is where I recommend using post-it notes to write a note to put on each disk, stating what one is the source and it's /dev/path. Also doing the same for your destination and it's /dev/path. Source drive is /dev/sda Dest drive is /dev/sdb With that out of the way, we are ready to jump into the long haul of running a dd command. This will copy the data from your source drive, block for block to the destination drive. dd is quite a serious command and can result in data loss if you do it wrong. Here is where a write-blocker is especially useful to prevent overwriting the drive. Also this is where the notes on the physical disk are helpful. Below is the command for the setup we outlined. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=16384k status=progress Let's break this command down. I look at the if= being equal to Input file. That's our source drive. of= being Output file. This is where our destination drive is being overwritten. bs= is Block Size. I go with 16384k as it is a block size I have seen around good for imaging. status=progress is a nice add-on so you can see the results of the dd command. Otherwise you would be waiting for the progress to output once it is done. This will take quite some time. 500 GB source to a 1TB destination drive. Easily took about 8 hours as the finished results state: 27184.1 s, 18.4 MB/s. Divide that by 60, then again by 60 and I got 7.55 hours to image a 500 GB drive to a 1 TB drive. Hurry up and wait as you are doing a block for block image, so it even will copy the blank space to the destination drive. Once done, verify each drive matches (Especially for forensic sake and use of write blocker). Drive to drive sha will not match, so you want to do it for the partitions specifically. Once again, be warned that it took around 7 hours on this Pi setup to run sha256sum against each one of these partitions. Below are the commands I ran to generate the sha256 signature, followed by their matching results. sha256sum /dev/sda1 sha256sum /dev/sdb1 813dcb6470f62c7c12623a0ef092551965b83e501e70dff4e01e1220cebf0129 /dev/sda1 813dcb6470f62c7c12623a0ef092551965b83e501e70dff4e01e1220cebf0129 /dev/sdb1 Bingo! Image is a success and the source partition is a match to our cloned partition. For conversations sake, if you were to run sha256sum against the entire disks, they would not match up. Keep in mind the destination drive I used is a 1TB disk, so it has more free space than does the source drive. Here are examples of mismatched checksum, because we compared the entire disks where one was larger than the other. 83b3b53d577d0ae793c947220b4ef3aa3d323e8349e0d3615b77964ec5baeb80 /dev/sda f24189b6160b9a91bf5037ade4d4ab2f45a9bad9ebe254c0a349688f8987bc10 /dev/sdb That concludes this guide. If you have an questions or feedback, reply in this thread or hit me up online. Thank you for reading and visiting. :)
  16. Pic0o

Stock Switch docks for me and the issues I have seen. I do have a USB Network Adapter from Plugable I had been using, plugged into the dock. I'm still leaning on the paranoid side and not leaving the system idle in the dock. I do still play it with HDMI and Power hooked up so I can do so on my TV.
  17. Xerxes

So is this only with 3rd party docks? I am using the one that came with seeing no issues, although only my kids use the switch, but I am sure I would have heard something. On an unrelated note; cannot wait for the Labo to come out and kids go apeshit over it.
  18. Hunter83

That is also the update that is reportedly causing 3rd party docks to brick Switches. Nyko and Nintendo released quick patches, but as of a couple days ago issues still persist. Game safe.
  19. Hunter83

CLOUD Act

Dude, even when there are clear rights, I can speak first-hand on how corrupt and rough due process can be, when it's written plainly into the law. For the past 6 months I've been fighting an illegal foreclosure on my home. Highest state court, 4 separate rulings as precedence on my side, a binding purchase & sales agreement prior to, and several statutory violations by the supposed foreclosing entity. In addition to the mortgage note by law, being a nullity. I got attached to a case against another person on the property, post-judgment (in violation of law and court rules), and the lower court (Worcester Housing Court) is god-awful and ignores everything. I'm now in Appeals Court trying to show how badly everyone screwed up, law on my side, and feel like I'm getting screwed over every step of the way. And I'm Pro Se, representing myself. Even with due process rights clearly written essentially into stone, if the system is corrupt or doesn't care, it's hard to find any help. When it's written into law that our privacy can br violated like that, I can only imagine the shit show.
  20. Pic0o

CLOUD Act

Thank you for that clear, to the point link. I think that explains why many of the major companies updated their terms of service. This will make for some shady means to entrap people, if you can get carte blanche to collect and sift through people's data. So much for due process.
  21. Hunter83

CLOUD Act

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/responsibility-deflected-cloud-act-passes
  22. Pic0o

I've seen some mention on reddit but some of the posts are getting deleted... anyways I have seen issues myself on my switch. I posted in a couple of the threads on there too. Error 2162-002 (x1) (x2) 5.0.0 Lock ups of the system have happened to me a few times. Removing the system from my dock, the bottom port smelled like warm electronics and I never noticed that before. I also had what looked like dead pixels the other day and was flipping out. They did go away after 30 minutes. For the time being, I am plugging the system directly into the AC adapter and not leaving it on the dock idle, as I used to do before the firmware update. I wanted to make a thread of warning, especially since I have seen the issues first hand. Hopefully they find a fix for this, as the theory going around is that the check for updates and pre-release software is keeping the network connection active much more often. P.S. I have Mario Odyssey and have played Balloon Mode, just in case that is a factor. As I know that relies on online functionality.
  23. Pic0o

Memory Info / Diagnostics

Tricky a question, depending on what you are looking to do or the info you want. If you are trying to debug and stability test a new build, I tend to run HyperPi to crush numbers and work memory. As I have the Corsair hydro cooler, I also run the Corsair Link utility they have. That one shows my RAM frequency RAS to CAS timings and other specific RAM details. Corsair LINK homepage. One of the best all-around tools I use is CPUID's HWMonitor. It gives really good component details and thermal information. HWMonitor homepage I had a ton of issues running a higher RAM clock rate with this Corsair RAM so I decided to just keep it at stock timings. I had weird reboot issues and micro-stutter in benchmarks when running the higher memory speeds. TBH I would probably get a different make of DDR4 in the future. Hopefully that helps. Let me know if not. I also run a large amount of Final Fantasy benchmarks for stability testing and performance monitoring. You can run the Final XIV or the XV Benchmarks for that leg of it. Also as a more detailed solution, you could run a Virtual Machine and run MemTest in that. I've done that with VirtualBox for fun, but you can only memtest most but not all of your RAM, while in Windows.
  24. Hunter83

Memory Info / Diagnostics

Hey guys, Looking for recommendations on a freeware program for live memory info and/or diagnostics, in Windows. Currently, only running CPU-Z.
  25. Pic0o

Doom 2016

I am replaying this on the Switch as I got a copy for Xmas. A new patch just dropped that enables you to use gyro controls, increases frame rate and fixes some audio and game bugs. The Gyro aiming is intense! It's a really cool way to play a shooter, especially since dual-stick shooters and I are not on good terms. When I played on PC, I cheated haha. I'm doing a playthrough on the Switch in I'm too young to die. No shame in not being an elite skilled shooter :p The map exploration is a good time and that added to me getting a copy for switch. I have not tried gyro aim in portable mode, as I tend to play docked with detached joycons. Standing up, it's almost like exercise. Call me a sissy, but Doom in a VR setting is not quite the kind of experience I'm looking for. That's why I opted for the Switch version instead of Doom VFR. Well couple that with the Bethesda to Oculus beef they have going on and you have my full reason for avoiding their VR titles. Wrapping up that VR beef story. The Switch version is good and fun. They patched some issues that needed addressed, while also adding some cool features. Here are the Bethesda patch notes. The most recent patch was pretty quick and seemingly small. Be warned that the 1st patch for Doom was 1.1 GB. So if you have limited free space on your console and or a limited internet connection, patching may be a concern. Storage sizes on my switch with the game card edition of the game are: 7.2 MB on the console, 8.0 GB on my SD Card. According to some searches, the 8 GB are the multiplayer components of the game. The core game is about 13 GB, so at least that's on the game cart. If you buy and download it from the store, be prepared for quite a bit of used storage.
  26. Pic0o

Learning Linux Issues

One of the biggest issues you will encounter learning Linux, is how most anything you may search for, will fall in 2 camps of info: Pre-Systemd and Post-Systemd. Guides and articles from 2013 or earlier will especially be based on older utilities that have been decommissioned but may still exist on recent distributions. It can be a little maddening but that's where more specific and newer articles are your guide. Ideally, the newer write ups will reference the older method too. Both for the sake of showing up in your search results and showing how both old and new work, so you can get to your solution. Case example for me here, is setting up a NTP server to do internal time synchronization for machines not able to contact a Windows Domain Controller. ntpd exists but not as a stand-alone server, as it's part of ntp services. tzselect works to set your timezone as a command but does not impact anything, since timedatectl is the current handler for system time on Raspbian and other more recent distro releases. Once you set the right timezone, ntpd -qg will connect to your defined external ntp servers, so your local service will have accurate timing to share with the internal machines you want to clock sync. To check your status for the ntp service to see it's running state, you want to: systemctl status ntp I just wanted to share a potentially helpful rant, as searching for information online, tends to bring up the older linux tools. It can be extra rage inducing when the original stuff is still around but has no impact on what you are trying to change.
  27. Pic0o

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Completed 120 hours. Level 69 before credit roll. Final fight was rough but practicing elemental chains was hugely helpful. I found Max is much easier to deal damage with, if you set him to PC (bot ai) controlled. I used a tank in slot one that I rotated him to slot 3 so I could one-button skill attack, while tanking to stay alive. A new patch is coming soon and patch 1.30 will have an easier difficulty, new game plus and some other dynamic changes. I definitely had grinding sessions to continue as I played the storyline, but it was a fun world to explore. As usual for me, I took my time between main story and side-quests. Awesome game overall. I added link to the patch notes as there is a lot of stuff going on. It also looks like the blade menus will get more sort options. That will be helpful for finding the right field skills when you are exploring. The UX for blades can be really busy. I tend to go to character select then pick a blade, as that lets you press the shoulder buttons to view each equipped blade's skill trees, instead of doing it manually from the blade menu. FYI if you get the DLC pass, it will give you some advanced items, such as letting you re-assign blades to another driver. I used these pretty early in but I suggest waiting after a few chapters before doing so, as they will have more utility.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?