FunTimeBliss ::

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. .hack G.U. Last Recode

I'm playing a few games at the moment but am near the end of Episode 1 of G.U.. I can say the avatar fights are way better than they were on PS2. I remember cussing and replying them to clear the fight. I am currently around level 37 (cap of 50 for episode 1). It kind of funny playing in The World, logging out to the desktop environment to check email and forums. I hope to see some more games made for the series. It's a good time and if you like story heavy RPGs, pick this up. PS4 digital or physical and Steam digital option for PC.
  3. Earlier
  4. Razer Blade 1060 GTX (Late 2016)

Bumping the thread to remind people of setting your Default GPU in Nvidia Driver Settings. Default will probably be 'auto-select' but in content like .hack//G.U. and Oculus games, you may see a huge performance drop by not selecting the 1060 GTX, over the Intel GPU. Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. If you have multiple graphics cards (as the case on this laptop), you will see a drop down for Preferred graphics processor on the Manage 3D Settings tab. Changing this helped .hack go from running extremely laggy to smooth as silk on this laptop.
  5. .hack G.U. Last Recode

I played a few hours last night, between watching the console disc recap videos and playing the start of Episode 01. I played 2.5 hours and very much of that was cutscenes and info to game dynamics. Keeping in mind I read all the game and forum community content, as you can get extra areas, art and other bonuses from doing so. Last night I played in VR, via using BigScreen with my Oculus Rift. Think of it as playing on a giant curved LCD, in a virtual room. The game ran very smooth. Considering when I last played the games, it was on a PS2 over CRT using S-Video. Playing the remastered edition @ 1080P is a treat. Maps are legible along with the world and character designs looking incredible versus PS2 era. The actual game is not VR at all, but playing on the virtual screen is pretty dope. I left the graphic options to default. Essentially high except shadows and water, iirc. Load times are also quite short running from my SSD and that's always appreciated. I have not seen any performance or stability issues so far either. I am playing with a Sony DualShock 4 using the licensed USB dongle along with DS4Windows driver for Xbox 360 mapping. I did not notice a huge detriment to battles yet based on the XP boost. I feel like the original game also had quick battles and meters, but my memory could be fuzzy. I enjoyed these games before and having the option to play them in such a crisp environment, is really cool. I cannot argue with the $50 asking price, since you get all 3 of the .G.U. chapters and the newly added 4th one. You can play with cheat mode if you want to breeze out maxed through the story. I'm playing normal. Also you can pick any chapter, console disc or the parody content from the main menu. It's nice that the menu select is part of the game, as this makes it much easier to pick your chapter when in a full screen window, versus a steam popup form. There are keyboard controls based off WSAD, but they are not really clearly defined when you start playing. I tried to finger fumble on the laptop since I don't have a gamepad with me at the moment. Arrow keys work like your targeting system, but to be honest, play it with a dual-analog stick gamepad if you have the option.
  6. .hack G.U. Last Recode

About 9 years later, all 3 of these G.U. games are on PC and PS4. I grabbed the Steam version of .hack//G.U. Last Recode today and it's 40 GB install is downloading. The redone graphics look really nice. I am a bit cautious of the increased XP gain and easier boss fights, but it was a fun series and I hope to see the original 4 games get redone, and most of all, some new content, short of the 4th episode they added to G.U. for this release. This version is still a single player faux-MMO and I'm good with that. Eventually an online game that doesn't bomb would be cool, but by all means, take your time and get it right. I'm glad to see this came out as it caught me by surprise. From the look of the steam forums, this game is selling, so I'd love to see support for the series continue, after such a long break. As you can see from the thread history, I bumped the old thread for about 9 years ago to note this PC remaster.
  7. Oculus Rift VR

I took a break from VR, largely due to playing Nintendo Switch games. I also played Karnage Chronicles and got really VR sick, like terrible headaches and all. I know some people claim to be immune to vr / motion sickness, but wow, hacking and slashing in a dungeon wrecked me with locomotion controls. I visited my friend and his kids a few weeks ago and did a VR demo. They loved it, especially the older teen, as he is a huge pc gamer. I'm going to hook my gear back up this week and jump back in. I still have some ideas I want to try for creating some content, but in the mean time I'm also excited to try Obduction, from the Myst creator team. I also started Edge of Nowhere and should continue that tomb raider-like platformer. Windlands is actually pretty fun but I got stuck within maybe an hour. Short of the issue of knowing where to proceed, it is quite fun grappling around the world map. I may pickup Doom VFR but I want to see how it is received and if it gets actual oculus support. I'm thinking I'll pickup Skyrim again but on the Switch, since it's a huge game and being able to play it in tablet mode will make it more accessible over time. According to steam, I dropped 202 hours on the PC edition (Level 37 and surely some idle time with the game running). It looks like I played the Dawnguard expansion too. Jumping back to VR, I played .Hack in BigScreen. Wild with the giant screen and the map being in the top right of my full view pane.
  8. Mario Odyssey

Fun random fact: I used to have some bike parts named Odyssey, so I got used to the spelling. Back on topic, this latest Mario game is exceptionally good and enjoyable. I played over vacation and as of writing have 500+ stars and have played some of the hard mode post-main story content. I think the best attribute of the game is being enjoyable, while not being too difficult, until you complete the main story line. That being said, I also have the amiibos and that means with Wedding Peach, that I can jump back up to 6 health at any time with a few seconds available, even in boss fights. I tried playing the Mario Galaxy games but did not find myself enjoying them enough to complete them. Perhaps it was the Wiimote controls, I'm not sure as it has been some time since I tried those games out. Along those lines, you do get extra control functionality with the JoyCons detached, via wiggling. Most of the time it's not necessary to clear an area but can make some challenges easier. I largely played with JoyCons detached in Odyssey. Tablet mode works great too if you are away from a TV and your Dock. I very briefly tried multiplayer but can say using a second controller to control Cappy, does make it a more detailed experience, since some jumps trying to time hat jumps solo, would be difficult compared to working with a second player. As you progress, there are some online scoreboard side-games too. Control options and moves progress as you do in the game. You can do most all of them immediately, but as you play the relevant usage will come to you. You can view all of these in the Select / - menu. Seriously I'm ending the review there. The game is really well constructed and is not a chore to play. Personally I feel like most studios are releasing grind-quest games with no actual enjoyment or care in their processes, so this Mario game from Nintendo is a long-needed breath of fresh air. I have heard more than one person tell me they have an XB1 or PS4 that they are bored with. By all means is this is you, grab a switch and play Mario and or Zelda. Then look forward to more content coming down the line. If you are tired of playing math simulators, Nintendo and indie devs are where the heart of quality gaming lies. As always, I purchased my own copy of this game. I have no oversight or compensation for the opinions expressed here. If I ever land a job with Nintendo or any sort of compensation, I will inform of such. Have fun! I do suggest a Switch for the holiday season if you don't have one, and if you do, I think you would be hard-pressed to not enjoy Mario Odyssey. I played pretty heavily since a midnight release on 10/27, got 500 stars and there are still plenty of things I did not complete. There are classic platforming sections as well as the 3D world content. This is a game made by people who wanted you to enjoy it and also played it themselves for pleasure.
  9. 15 years

Here are a few oldies. ATI 9700 vs Nvidia 6800LE graphic card review. Coldstone's GTA Vice City Mod Pack. t0ucan's Cookies 4 CuBa story. Ancient forum archive restored <-+ This is where most of the old reviews came from, when I launched the site on PHPNuke, having admin'd the House Of +PLuS+ running the same platform back in 2002-ish. I have some info from an old Vidomi dvd encoder guide, but that is ancient and kind of useless, compared to using mencoder to convert ripped VOB files to AVI, then merging them. The Vidomi app was glitchy, at best. Mencoder bash syntax below for conversation's sake. cd /media/user/SourceDisk/Vobs/Cosmos_Disc01/FullDisc/DVD_VIDEO/VIDEO_TS mencoder 'VTS_01_1.VOB' -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800 -o 'Cosmos_Disc01 1 of 5.avi' -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -sid 1000 mencoder 'VTS_01_2.VOB' -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800 -o 'Cosmos_Disc01 2 of 5.avi' -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -sid 1000 mencoder 'VTS_01_3.VOB' -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800 -o 'Cosmos_Disc01 3 of 5.avi' -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -sid 1000 mencoder 'VTS_01_4.VOB' -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800 -o 'Cosmos_Disc01 4 of 5.avi' -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -sid 1000 mencoder 'VTS_01_5.VOB' -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800 -o 'Cosmos_Disc01 5 of 5.avi' -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -sid 1000 mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy 'Cosmos_Disc01 1 of 5.avi' 'Cosmos_Disc01 2 of 5.avi' 'Cosmos_Disc01 3 of 5.avi' 'Cosmos_Disc01 4 of 5.avi' 'Cosmos_Disc01 5 of 5.avi' -o '/media/user/OutputDisk/Vobs/Cosmos_Disc01.avi'
  10. 15 years

If you check the whois for the site, you may notice it has been around now for 15 years. If you have old links, they may and should very well still work. Heart of the site is the forums but I still have content write ups buried away from clickable links. Most of those are ported PHPNuke or straight up html pages. I am still avoiding wordpress despite it's ease, because it also has a history of SQLi and other vulnerable issues. No timeline dedicated but I should re-incorporate old data into a new front-end. Happy 15th to the site! Thanks to old school visitors and new ones too.
  11. Nintendo Switch

Firmware update 4.0.0 released on 2017-10-18. Details @ Nintendo. The short of features are USB Headphones, Save backup support, Video capture support via Screenshot button long-press. Also are pre-purchase options on the eShop and local multiplayer version matching for games. I can confirm that the Playstation Platinum Wireless headset work on the Switch both when the dongle is plugged into the dock and also when using a USB-C to USB adapter directly plugged into the bottom of the Switch in tablet mode. No fuss required as I new set of headphones worked by plugging it into the console. I saw mention that the dongle adapter needs to be removed to restore audio over HDMI when docked. Logitech Keyboards also work. I plugged in a wireless K450 and I am able to type in the text boxes for posting images to twitter.
  12. Play a Game? (Game tracker)

Welcome to another October! I have been taking a VR break replaying Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The Switch version and portability is a huge benefit for my lunch breaks and being able to play in other rooms of the house without sitting at my desk. I resisted the console at first, but I have to say it's really good, even with the lack of integrated applications at the current time. I have to admit I got a 2DS handheld, pretty much for Culdcept Revolt. I also picked up Metroid: Samus Returns. It's a good game but mildly difficult. Think in vein to Castlevania style gameplay (classic-vania). I was also able to re-download my eShop purchases so I have lots of Zelda, Pushmo and some older Mario games on there. VR wise I'm going to try and get some custom projects done for fun. Nothing too crazy, more like concepts and figuring out how to manage the 3D assets outside of VR as well. I picked up Cave Story+ and Splatoon 2 along with Mario Kart 8 on the Switch, but Zelda has been my main time game. I have all the memories and Master Sword, so I could beat it again but I also have a good bit of the DLC 1 pack to explore. Quite a bit of temple exploration is what I'm up to now, bumping into my stamina bar, but knowing I need more than 13 hearts to hang with the fierce challenge modes. Mario Odyssey shall be mine on Thursday night. :) Outside of games, I lightly dabble in DevOps with Ansible and adding more Powershell to my skillset. Dorking around in Linux is more of a priority though. I get plenty of Registry and GPOL windows experience in my day job.
  13. Desktop Window Managers

I enjoy using multiple operating systems. I love Linux for performance but I have to say most of the window managers are nowhere near Windows or OS X in terms of control and keyboard shortcut operations. This is very rant filled of an opinion, as I do quite a bot of text editing work and am a huge user of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to navigate between multiple open windows. If may seem minor, but when editing multiple bash scripts, having to select your other window with the mouse instead of jumping tabs by keyboard... is clunky. I guess the burden of choice also leads to an inconsistent UX in Linux distros. I would say we should step back and know that this is a limiting factor to having people fully switch from Windows or Mac OS. That stuff really matters over time on your day-to-day computer usage. Personally, I tend to manage my Linux installs over SSH from a Windows box, or occasionally a Mac as well. Hopefully this comes to become a little cleaner an operation on some Nix ditros, but as I mentioned, it's difficult to get everyone to agree. One person's issue is another person's workflow to it working as intended. This rant came up encoding videos, where my bash scripts were not simply a Ctrl+Tab, followed by a Ctrl+R to replace strings for the next output. When you are grinding out the repetitious stuff, shortcuts are helpful and can lead to better automation too. Depends on what you are up to, but the emphasis on a clean UX, is what gets people to invest (mentally and emotionally) to your platform.
  14. Yay printed again :)

I am happy to say I was accepted for a submission I sent into 2600: The Hacker Quarterly that was printed in the current Autumn issue of Thirty-Four, Number Three. Debt Journey is the article name that narrates some of my experiences over the last few years. If you have feedback, either negative or supportive, please send it to letters@2600.com for the sake of dialog in the magazine. You can drop me a direct line too if so inclined, but I really enjoy the letters section, to be honest. It lends a little more validity to write a message than bang out some keyboard rage on twitter or wherever like that. Besides that, go to some local meetups too. I don't get out to a ton of them (different meetups) but I enjoy 2600 1st Fridays. It's a nice way to meet locals in the area and despite what you may think, you do not need to be a super computer user to go. Just talk, maybe listen a little bit and you will likely have a fine time. Case in point relating to the printed article, it doesn't really deal with technology at all. In all actuality, I have learned many great things from people also not in the tech space. It's cool to hear how people problem-solve and can help you also hone your own observation and resolution skills. Jolly Friday! :)
  15. Culdcept Revolt

This game is quite good. Especially if you played Culdcept Saga before. Deck creation, battles, the map types you know and enjoy. You get access to online content as you progress in the single player story. The story content is not some mind blowing tale but it's a good RPG story of a crew trying to defeat the nasty evil rival. I've beat about 7 of the single player levels and continue to play. Work your strats to have level chains with your lands, while trying to match creatures to land types. Your base deck will be limited so work with that, then buy more booster packs in the store with your story credits. There is also some paid DLC. 1 story quest with 3 battles is $4 USD and everything else is cosmetic content like dice skins, book covers and character outfits. You can get the cosmetic content for around $30 USD extra but I only purchased the story content and downloaded the 2 free DLC items. After a few battles you should have access to the normal in-game store and the online DLC store. Playing this game on a dual-display system is incredibly nice. Very smooth to view details, while you can also change map detail attributes with the right shoulder buttons. If you want to see monster HP, Toll fees, etc. Add me up on 3DS btw. Nintendo still has the 12 digit friend codes for Switch and 3DS / 2DS. My 2DS FC is: 4356-5252-5397 If you visit Philadelphia, you might catch my streetpass too. I'm looking to get out for the Mario Odyssey event here on 10/24 too.
  16. Culdcept Revolt

So Culdcept Saga was an awesome card game. Think Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly. We used to play this really heavily on Xbox 360 and Culdcept Revolt released on 3DS / 2DS on Oct 3rd. I checked local gamestop stores but they seemed to have gotten a really small stock since no stores have it in the local immediate area. So I grabbed it off Amazon. I will add my codes and stuff if anyone else gets this and wants to play. I saw this game was coming out over the last month or so and got pretty hyped about it. In respect to series history, it seems to have started out on Dreamcast and first came to the states on Playstation 2. The edition I became familar with was Culdcept Saga on Xbox 360. If I had to guess, this will be a limited run game and become pretty rare here in the USA. The Xbox 360 version came to fetch a good markup too over time, if I recall correctly. Edit: I went to a local center city gamestop and they told me 1 person pre-ordered it an picked it up. So yes, very limited stock it seems, at least to gamestop stores. I scooped a copy up from Amazon.
  17. Zelda Breath of the Wild

I have 11 heart containers and 3 of the 4 guardian temples cleared. I'm going to check my Wii U playthru but I don't think I got the Master Sword on that 1st playthru due to the 13 base hearts requirement. In my 1st play I pumped into stamina more heavily, as on the Switch, I used food items to supplement my stamina and hearts for boss fights. I didn't clear many of the shrines of the goddess until the 2nd guardian was cleared. Then I started putting my upgrades into heart containers. I unlocked all the scout towers on both versions and on this playthru have been finding lots of the treasure chests under water via the magnesis rune. I have done a couple of the DLC item quests but still have plenty to explore. The 2nd DLC will also drop here in the winter. I picked up the Pro controller and do agree that it's quite comfortable to use over longer sessions than the Joy-Cons. I also have had some nice outdoor sessions in local parks over my lunch break. Speaking of breaks, I might fire up Cave Story+ over lunch today to give myself a break from doing another 8 shrines, to then grab the master sword.
  18. Zelda Breath of the Wild

I am replaying this on the Switch console. Being able to play on my lunch break is pretty awesome. Then I can come home and plug my Switch into the dock and play on the TV. I really enjoyed this game and am glad to be playing it again. Aiming arrows with the Joy-Con is really satisfying for aim control. I am talking correlation to VR with touch controllers good. The DLC is now active for this game, in respect to the 1st pack of 2 from the $20 DLC pass. I only did a couple of the missions so far. It turns out my Amiibos are helpful to get equipment and crafting items. If you wondered when the timer resets, it looks to be midnight on your console / local time. I have a few Zelda amiibos that give treasure chests as well. I was pretty hyped about the Wolf Link companion and lottery for Epona you can get. I am able to better juggle my stats and boost perks with food recipes. Be sure to take pictures of items once you unlock your tablet abilities in-game, so you can use the radar to find items in a pinch. I like to call this game Legend of Skyrim largely based on the equipment and inventory system but the exploration also adds to that title. The game world is very enjoyable to explore and has tons of things tucked into it's details. I have always been a Zelda series dork, but I am completely on-board with this being one of the best games made. It's fun and immersive. It's easy to find yourself staying up pretty late because you wanted to clear a dungeon / divine beast. I either play with the Joy-cons detached but installed in the battery grip addons, or joy-cons in the comfort grip. I did not pickup a Pro Switch gamepad yet. On the go, I play with the Joy-Cons docked to the console, holding it like a new-school Gamegear. I can say the 3 hour playtime estimate on battery is pretty accurate. Playing in bed is quite nice too. I mentioned the Wii U gamepad in the above post from my 1st playthru. I can tell it will be easier to rotate for some temples, since my view will not be bound to needing rotated since the detached Joy-Con would be your gyro instead of the whole Wii U tablet. Audio always works right off the Switch display and when docked, I run headphones or speakers from my external display, since that is getting the video and audio from the HDMI connection. If you get the chance and have funds to pickup a Switch, I say it's worth it. The game selection is still kind of light, but between now and the end of the year, some big games are coming to the console. Less of a draw for some if you already played them on PC, but stuff like bow aiming in Skyrim with the tilt gyro is a good control mechanism. Playing on the go and being able to have a little LAN device that is light and low profile, is interesting as well. I added some Switch specific stuff, but BotW is a great game, none the less.
  19. What's up?

I have also been doing extra consultation work to help someone get their backups running, an idea of what they have on the network and some performance tuning. That tends to put new projects here on the site pretty low on the list, as you may be able to tell with the CMS on the page index. It's not the most appealing task, but I see so many places lacking documentation. Like what do you have here, let alone how does it work? Are these things getting patched and what do they connect to? I dabble in lots of things but I hold on to being a generalist, since it helps me have a good understanding of how things work and how to fix them in a pinch and to try optimize them. I have done a little work with DevOps but I kind of chuckle if the premise is to spawn a new server instance in the event of a failure without seeing why it failed. That would be an automated fail loop. Haha I get it, some people gotta go fast and do not have the time to check their work. I'm not saying everyone ignores the failures and means to fix them, but it seems easy to shrug off an issue if you can spin up a new environment in the event of fail, and presume all is well until the next time. I remain to enjoy naps. Also occasionally leeching free wifi to play online games. Walking dogs is what's up too. I still crawl around social networks a bit, but some days I consider deleting my accounts. I did that on MySpace but then someone just relaunched my username with their account. Hahaha, good times.
  20. What's up?

If you wanted to play any games, I'm mostly playing Nintendo Switch and PC games. The PC side is mostly exploring VR content. I added my Nintendo friend code in my profile / user block, so feel free to add me up. I have Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 for multi and am replaying Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In respect to security, 2017 is a rolling dumpster fire. It's hard to link all the crazy breaches this year, but there seems to be a new one almost weekly at this point. Security is hard but I feel like lowest bid and lowest effort are a huge factor in many of these. Nothing is perfect but most of these seem to have forgotten basic practices. I tend to focus on how the systems are laid out, to then know what should not be open to the public internet. I have seen some thing that instill terror for sure. Speaking of terror, VR horror games are insane. I only lightly dabbled in a few because being in a virtual horror world, is pretty creepy. I am also hoping Don't Knock Twice gets locomotion support soon, so I can terrify myself a bit with that. Another random note is some MicroSD cards I bought failed, but it turns out SanDisk has 10 year warranty. Emailed support, sent front and back pics of cards, then got a shipping label to return them. Yay to having some extra storage for the switch and whatever else around the house. Winding down here to say Happy Fall! I'm looking forward to the temperature dropping a little bit since 80 F+ temps are a little much for me. I forgot to mention a RetroUSB HDMI NES console showed up a couple of weeks ago. Playing Nintendo classic games directly outputted to HDMI is super crisp. It took several months for my order to come in from the manufacturer but I am really a big fan of this console. Between the day job, a little side-work and researching, I like to try and relax with some games. That's not much of a shock if you have been to these forums before. Enjoy the upcoming Halloween season! :)
  21. Pi-Hole

PiRaspPi-Hole config quide: Howdy and welcome to another thread. I have a history of not being a fan of advertisements and do not run those banners on this site. Besides a security concern, I think advertisement gets really creepy online. Pi-Hole is an Operating System with dns capabilties and use of adblocking lists. The added benefit of the request being denied even without plugin-based web browsing, is pretty handy. Before you install, be sure if you are using a RaspberryPi or whatever device, that your user password is one of your own. You do not want to go default with your LAN traffic. If you wanna log a fun time, you can use one of these for short-term logging a little CTF monitoring style. Logs are configured to purge after a few days on your standard Pi-Hole install. Please be sure to update your OS image with latest patches via said package manager. In my case I set the primary network connection to a static address. I have the service connection IP address details to use the actual router as DNS server. Since all your other network DNS will be set to the fixed IP Address you bound to your Pi-Hole installed device. SSH is likely disabled. I like to administer my SSH session by serial to usb in the case of my Raspberry Pi installs. Follow the install guide and advisory on their site about the bash | pipe install. Quick comes at a trade off when you do not review the install process part for part. If you go for the easy install and read the disclaimer, you can run the single line install: curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash This thread is for administering and keeping yours updated, as with my configuration I ran into update issues using just the one connection. Details ahead cover enabling a second connection to fetch updates, since you will have the primary network connection with a set IP address that handles DNS requests handed off from your router / main DNS device on your network. To do updates to the OS and Pi-Hole local web services device / OS, I disable the service network connection to resolve conflicts of web requests to get out locally. All the LAN clients will be fine getting pages. In this case, I suspect the localhost calls in the Pi-Hole logs relate to my network layout and the device being bound to serve back to itself. When logged into the [deviceIP]/admin configuration page I would also get failures to resolve list update servers. Having plugged in a second USB NIC or using Wireless as an update connection, I ran the following commands to handle my network adapters. Turning off the static address service NIC. In most cases likely eth0 as shown below sudo ifconfig eth0 down Do some pings and the like to see they should now resolve. Do your updates etc for the OS. In my case, Raspbian on a Pi 3. Once those finish, load up the Web Admin panel for your Pi-hole install. Get your ip address for the active network connection with: ifconfig Connect to that IP address in a web browser and add '/admin' into the address bar at the end of the IP Address without the quotes around the path. Login with your admin password to the admin panel and you should now be able to see updates are pending. You need to start with the FTL update. To do this, return to your SSH session. As I mentioned I am working with serial over USB, but you can enable SSH over network if you so desire. One more service for a network heavy component, so choose of your own accord in concern to security to conveinence. On that SSH console, run: pihole -up Wait for the updater to get and deploy the new FTL version. You will likely also be treated to the Web Interface and Pi-Hole version also being to current revisions. Great! Almost updated and running live AdBlocking again. Still on your console, seeing the update completed you want to turn back on the main network connection we disabled for updating. sudo ifconfig eth0 up Overviewing network setup above: Main Internet router will be your DNS server on the Pi-Hole device. Manually set client DNS or change your DHCP server to set client DNS to the static address of your Pi-Hole install. (192.168.0.1 default-ish router) Check your current IP config to get details if you do not know current network base configuration. On the Pi-Hole install, set the primary network adapter to an address in that subnet (say 192.168.0.10) Make sure DHCP server /or/ router will not also try to assign that address in it's pool. The Pi-Hole DNS primary will be set to your local router (as above default-ish router 192.168.0.1) I hope to have avoided huge gaps or inflected confusion in this thread. Jolly adblocking. Even if you like making money from it, you have to know it is a vulnerable vector and kind of a shaky market. I'm not here to tell you what to do, I'm sharing details to help block them on places that run them without respect to visitors.
  22. Nintendo Switch

I know that is quite a set of text, especially without images to break it out. I may throw some pics in there for portions that may not be clear. Speaking of questions, there are 2 types of Joy-Con grips. The included one with the console does not have charging support and to charge them, you have to dock them to the Switch display. You can get another one of the Non-charging controller casings for ~ $10. There is also a charger model of the Joy-Con grip that costs $30 and looks exactly the same, with the exception of a USB Type-C connector on the top. Let me refactor the math for an extra pair of Joy-Cons and the charging dock. 80 + 30 = $110. Depending on the game controller support, it may be better cost and play wise, to get one of the Switch Pro Controllers for $70. Keep in mind there is a depth sensor (IR / Infrared) on the right Joy-Con but I think very few games use it currently. I am replaying Zelda BotW currently and luckily a good share of it is still in my memory. I was able to play at the bus stop on an overcast day with zero issues. I am curious on the brightness in direct sunlight, but let's be real, how often does anyone play in direct sunlight? :p I do have to say the console weight is nice. I want to say it seems lighter than a 3ds, but that may just be due to it being a little wider and less thick. I grabbed one of the Nintendo licensed PDP cases that holds the system well and offers good protection. Mobile friendly console for sure. Using a line to link to the Nintendo Switch Specs on their site. I forgot to mention, this console comes with no manual. You get s a safety warning guide and you are own your own. Kind of wild how documentation fell to the wayside so quickly over the last few years. I have some Type-C network and video adapters I am going to try out tonight. Mostly for curiosity of what works without the dock. Bringing that along certainly adds some heft to the mobile setup, if you want to hook to a monitor instead of playing on the console screen. I suspect the video adapters will not work, based on what I have seen about the charger voltage and prior experience with cell phone tv out cables and their need for a charger. I will update yay or nay on that testing. Edit: USB Type-C NIC works in switch directly. I have a Plugable Gigabit Type-C USB NIC that works directly plugged into a Switch. No charging required for a wired connection direct to the system without using the dock. Display cables without a powered connection do not look to work directly into the Type-C connection on the Switch display.
  23. Nintendo Switch

It tends to be a matter of time before I checkout Nintendo consoles and my time came this weekend for a Nintendo Switch. These things are still fairily rare to find in stock but I scooped on up @ a local shop that restocked a few days prior. 8 consoles moved in less than a week and when I got mine someone also bought the last one in stock. This console retails for $300 before tax, presuming you can find one in stock. Amazon has a bunch on hiked up prices. The switch is essentially a hybrid of the Wii U with a little inspiration from the 3DS as well. Your games are cartridges that insert into the switch tablet. You can play on the go or on your TV, by docking the switch display. The Switch tablet has a USB Type-C connector on the bottom that it plugs into the dock with or can be charged with a USB cable. Of note on the USB charging that it is a high-power power supply that comes with the Switch. I say this because I was charging with my Samsung S8 High-speed charger and C-cable last night but the tablet power was still going down despite being plugged in... similar to how older phones would drain faster than they could charge, when using HDMI output cables with in-line power. Recap here being, if you want to play with the device in tablet mode, you will want to plug in the charger that came with it, or buy another one of the Nintendo official ones, for the correct output to properly charge it while you are playing. Battery life looks to be approximately 3 hours or so on maximum brightness. I was playing Zelda: BotW last night in bed for this rough test and this is also when I discovered the lower charging from other USB Type-C chargers. Speaking of charging, the USB C port is on the bottom of the console. So I would suggest the Hori standing case if you plan to play on the go, if you want the ability to charge from an external battery pack. If you opt to buy a 2nd Charger for the Switch, they go for $30. The power supply specs of the officially licensed power supply are: Output: 5.0 V - 1.5 A 15.0 V - 2.6 A Accessories for the Switch are pretty costly. The included gear will work great for 1 person, or 2 people playing Mario Kart, but some games require a 2nd pair of JoyCon controllers. A Pair of JoyCons go for $80 and the play and a 2nd charge controller mount that comes with the console goes for $15. So you are looking at $95 for a 2ns JoyCon gamepad. You can also get a Pro controller for $70. It's like the Pro controller for the Wii U that shares form-factor with a Playstation or Xbox gamepad. Player 2 can put you out a little more money than you may have expected. In defense of the JoyCon pads, they are impressive and slim profile, while also having gyro capabilities. All of the controllers also have rumble support (that can be turned off as well). Controller rundown, is that you can slide the JoyCon controllers directly to the Switch console / display and play like that. You can also use the JoyCons (A pair, one Left, one Right controller) kind of like wands (labeled Grips in the console system settings), or you can insert them into the Play and Charge housing, that makes it like a mini-gamepad. There are slide-on wrist strap and side-button extensions you can use when playing in what I call, Wand mode. Wand mode is extra-handy for playing Breath of the Wild, as you can use the gyros in them to aim your bow. Having played some VR, this is a nice feature that is comparable to control in a VR game, but with the Switch when playing off a standard screen or the console display. The Switch console has a slot for the game cartridges on the top-right as I mentioned. There is also a Micro-SD slot under the stand up arm on the read of the display. The JoyCons slide into the sides of the console display. Be sure to match up the + and - signs when using the JoyCons, else they may get stuck in place. There is a small button on the back that works as a release. Also there is a locking mechanism by the wrist-strap portion of the JoyCons when you install them. Push them in to lock it on the rails. The power button is along the top-left and volume controls are next to the power button. You can hold the home button for a few seconds to get a brightness and volume control overlay. The Switch also supports quick-suspend power, so you can put it to sleep until you get a chance to charge it back up. It is similar to hibernate on your laptop but it works faster and seemingly more cleanly. When the console is docked, you have access to 3x USB ports (non-Type-C), a HDMI Port and the AC adapter input for a Type-C charger. If you still have the DaTel USB NIC from the Original Wii, that will natively work with your Switch when it's docked if you want to run a wired connection. Miiverse is a robust gaming community run by Nintendo and filled with gamer-contributed content on the Wii U. Sadly, this is not on the Switch (yet) and the current Wii U Miiverse shuts down this November 7th 2017. I am speculating but suspect the Switch Miiverse will be online somewhere around the Winter or early 2018. Currently there is a News section of the console with game info and video content about upcoming and current releases. At the time of writing, there are about 133 items on the Nintendo eShop for the Switch. There is also a local Album where you can view your screenshots saved (from the dedicated screencap button on the left joycon). Software selection included with the console, is honestly currently lackluster. You really should pickup a game when you buy one, unless you intend to download something from the store. You do still have access to Mii editor from the System Settings screen. You can make multiple users and also import Miis from your Wii U or 3DS, by using an Amiibo between the consoles. I was able to copy over some Wii characters I got off the internet, when I was using Bluetooth hacks to import Web characters into my original Wii controllers, that were on my Wii U most recently. I'm enjoying the console so far and even started another play of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on here. The extra graphics in details like the water, grass and draw distance are nice on the Switch. I would not say necessarily to get a Switch for playing Zelda if you already have a Wii U, but the native controls are nicer than trying to do similar things with the Wii U pad, as you are implied to with the Switch tablet. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is crisp and also includes all the DLC for the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8. I am looking to check out that RTS Mario and Rabbids game soon too but that will wait for another payday. I wanted to mention a range of observations about the console so far. For point of reference I am on System Firmware 3.0.2. I'm looking forward to extra software to come for the device, as there are currently no Netflix or applications like that yet on the eShop. The new Mario Odyssey game is also due out around the end of October and there are a few other games coming for the Holiday Season. Skyrim and Doom on the go may be of special interest to folks too. I look forward to bringing mine various places and jamming out some play. I'm actually about to get some rounds of Mario Kart in now.
  24. Oculus Rift VR

I just received my prescription WIDMOvr lenses last night and have been playing every other night on average. The glasses insert is excellent. Great quality lenses that match my glasses prescription, the frame insert fits well into the stock Rift face guard and the elastic for the rift cover also helps keep the lenses in place. There is room between the rift lenses and the inserted prescription so you do not have to worry about scratching. I tried using the rift with my normal glasses but did not go that route because of tight removal and scratch threat. I can still see but my clarity is better with my prescription, for point of reference. I also picked up a 3 ft usb and hdmi extension cables. The HDMi cable is an Insignia brand extension from a local BestBuy, that I found in the television section. I went with an Amazon basics 3 foot usb3 extension as many people referenced it for working well. I had some issues getting audio to play consistently over the extensions on my desktop, but then I added an Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card as I saw some Oculus folks on reddit talk about the sensors and headset eating up much of the USB bus bandwidth. I do have to say, my extension issue went away installing this card and putting 2 of my 3 sensors on it, with the Rift HMD hooked to the USB on my motherboard. Besides hardware I have been playing some games. Also a fun program is Bigscreen. It's comparable to Desktop mode when running Steam but I think it has better touch button binds. I find it very nice for interacting with my desktop windows, while still in VR. Right-click, Left-click, mouse cursor and scrolling are all done on either hand. You can hat-press to remove the login screen when you load the program up. Face Your Fears is a free program that has 2 doors to cinematic experiences. The city door is pretty intense, while the haunted house door... is pretty damn freaky. I was suggested to check this out by a friend and we were both scared af by the haunted house. Lol, you might not want to let kids try this one, because it's damn creepy or I'm just a pansy. :p Sitting or standing experience, granted you are really just spectating and adjusting your head to view the area you are in. Batman Arkham VR gets review beef for being a short experience, but take note is is also a great one. The quality of graphics, tools and interaction is top notch. If you want to see a viable peek into what a full VR game done with high production value looks like, this is one to buy. It has replay content for re-doing the story and I was well embracing the story it presented and some of the easter egg content. It's $20 but looking at the extent of the content, I feel it is worth the asking price. If you enjoyed previous RockSteady Batman titles, this will show you the new shit coming down the pipes. This supports sitting and standing play, but lends better to standing play. Technolust: Extended Format is a game you can blast through but you will certainly miss most of the relevant story and not have explored the world or options. I got 20+ hours out of this easily. It has mini-games too, but the interactions and narrative that go with the in-world are what are to be best enjoyed. This is an older game (haha so that means 2016 in VR terms) that has touch support added. Most of your aiming is actually done with your head instead of the gamepad / touch controllers. I'm on board with any more content released by this team. Easily one of my best purchases. Works well for sitting or standing exploration. Windlands is something I saw mentioned as a game to try. It also has a 'Buy it on steam and you will get an Oculus key' feature through their website. I want to pause and say between the 2 stores, if you have an oculus, play the Oculus store version. The controller config is more likely to be optimized for that platform, as is the case with Wildlands on Steam being configured for a Vive and the Oculus Home version being configured for touch. There is an option for some games on Steam to 'launch in home mode', but this is not the current standard. Back to this game, it is an exploration via grappling hook traversal. The areas are well done to have you figure out what route currently looks viable and how you are going to use your grappling hooks and jumping to obtain the objects on the world map. Very solid and good looking game. Plenty of control options between sitting and standing play. Nature Treks VR is a collection of area environments. Woods, underwater and other outdoor areas. This experience is pretty demanding on your computer, since it renders the entire stage area and surrounding creatures. Looks very cool to relax in and explore. You can use locomotion or teleport transportation. You can plant extra trees and stuff too. Serious Sam: The Last Hope is a stationary shooter. If you played the other games, the enemies and stages will look familiar. Main take-away being you stay in place and shoot away hordes of monsters until you get to the world boss fight. Rez: Infinite is a VR shooter with music note and scoring to your attacks. It's a fairly short adventure but it's done well and has some extra modes as well. The presentation and levels to boss fights are done well. $20 for this game. Both standing and sitting supported, as you move by controller and look by head rotation. Mountain Goat Mountain is a free game that is simple but fun. Kind of like a Q-bert game to traverse the map, eat food and score coins. I'm looking forward to jumping into some more VR stuff this weekend. I played a little more Preta: Vendetta Rising after they dropped the price and removed some of the RMT content. I am currently on mission 5 on chapter 1 but I'm not riveted by it so far. I picked up a puzzle game called Dimensional for $5. One can only play so many gun shooters, both regular and VR wise. I am also going to try out Karnage Chronicles this weekend. It sounds like an impressive hack-n-slash game. I grabbed it on Steam, since it's not yet on the Oculus store. checking the steam forums, it should detect and work with the oculus fine / find the controllers as touch instead of the vive wands.
  25. I want this to be short, yet more detailed than a tweet or lost in a string of them. I have to say there is an issue with contributing to a public project, that is when you are eternally expected to maintain said thing. Especially with no compensation or expectation of support timeline. I know that can sound rude, but the context I am especially honing in on, is stuff like game mods or application support by a person or community, that the OEM / vendor ignored. There comes a point when if you want to improve something or add features to it, you need to roll up your sleeves and figure it out yourself, instead of ranting on reddit for someone who did a kind deed of the original contribution, to somehow become the permanent dev to your whim. This applies to games as well, because it seems like smaller developers get bombarded with this syndrome, while a major game studio just gets a shrug and 'oh that's the best we will get from them' replies from the same people making outlandish demands from the smaller developers and studios. Sharing another story, I know a person who wrote a Gamefaqs guide and still had people emailing for intricate details about a thing, 9 years later. I'm sorry (but not really sorry), people probably moved onto other projects, especially in that span of time. It seems like if you give a huge effort, you are presumed to own it forever. Don't get me wrong, kind people do pick up the torch on projects and move forward, but the issue of insane expectations is a real thing. If you can ask the question and understand the basic of how something works, if you apply some effort into research and working out the problem, you can likely contribute, if not completely solve the issue itself. I feel many people get burnt out trying to contribute to communities for reasons like this. Throwing in a video game trope; when I played Final Fantasy XI heavily, many of the newer members always showed up for the leet boss fights, but were never to be seen or magically went afk, when the core team was farming triggers (items required to actually fight the leet bosses), because the trigger part takes time and does not directly lead to an immediate reward. That ends my rant. Please be courteous of people who produce content and products to help others. Donate them some loot for good work, if you want to help debugging and giving feature requests, do not write snarky comments about how dumb they are for omitting your favorite feature. Especially because it may already be there, you just didn't see it or it has another name for that flag option. I don't know about you, but working a day job, upkeeping around the home, finding time to spend with friends and family, getting some recreational and sleep, can be a struggle. Especially when day job requires after-hours maintenance. Please be cool to others. If someone is releasing a tool or something cool, remember they are people too, or at least some sort of advanced AI that probably has some feeling registers too. Let's try to avoid pushing people to burn out faster. It's hard enough to avoid without the crowd heckling that can be this social media age. Thanks for reading and visiting :)
  26. Drives

This old thread bump for cipher /w:[driveLetter]. I wrote in more fragments but the theme to continue a wipe with a multi-pass wipe, as a baseline to clear prior data is a good method for an entire drive to write-over all previous data. drive letter you should full path to, and you will see a new caps, 8char folder spawned. Cipher will write 3-pass to the free space including USB devices. Syntax sample from windows 10 below. cipher /w:d:\ The multipass will write over unused space, so the current non-deleted files will remain. Review the help syntax for using /w to be sure you are not doing this to mounted remotely storage, else you may lose all existing data. Warning ymmv, always backup what is on the disk you are clearing free space from in the event to avoid data loss of critical content.
  27. VorpX and Non-native VR games

Desktop mode is really nice, as I type this post on that now. Text is quite crisp. I also have my Supersampling at 1.5 on the presumption it applies to desktop mode as well. Fallout 4 is more steady with a 1080 Ti, but for longer play and without drops or rendered flip frames, I would not advise trying to play longer that a concept demo of 10 minutes. YMMV of course but that is my observation compared to native VR content. For any games you are trying to play in 3D / VR, all your other graphical options will remain the same, so you need to scale back all the candy quality features if you wish to try and land 45+ FPS steady. I have been sticking with native VR content, myself. Frame drop headaches are very real.
  1. Load more activity