900 Series Nvidia Video Cards

Pic0o

Within a week, Nvidia 980 and 970 model video cards will be available. Personally my favorite part of new releases, is better prices for prior generation cards. However with Titan cards still being more a less the king by speed and pricing, many of the other cards do not fully address the speed and memory requirements that are coming more to light lately.

The 770 Ti has good speeds, but does not float 4GB RAM unless you go with the 780 rehash models. All I know is my 570 GTX with 1024 MB RAM has seen it's share of video limits. Of random note, when you run out of video memory, jank lag is a thing you may see. I saw this a bit maxing out Skyrim and also in the higher graphic settings for Watch Dogs.

Granted I have not been playing a ton of games the last year, so there is no immediate push into a new card. Just one of those things I like to think about upgrading. ;) I am also only interested in 1 video card. None of that SLI chicanery and extra heat generation.

Yes, I am only interested in 1 as well. I figure sooner or later I will have to look at updating since mine was updated... um... fall of 2011? Sims 4 is a thing that I might pick up around Christmas and it may want better card-age. ALTHOUGH, I was able to play on max/high mix for ESO so maybe not quite yet?

Currently rockin the GeForce GTX 560 Ti

According to my system info =p

We are very close in card specs. My 570 GTX does good work on FFXIV @ 1080P. Dips to about mid-40s FPS in towns around others. Prices updating and boosts will indicate when I make the jump. 4GB is a minimum on RAM I am thinking for my next card.

Yea, and even if it's just your own minimum range i like to stick to higher end of mid-range to keep upgrades spread out. Also, I think having smaller monitors helps? I'm runnin two 19" I think. I'd like bigger but that would require bigger desk which would require bigger house, rofl. Also, they get the job done so no rush there. Although they are preeeeeetty old, I got them post-deployment so like 2008. XD

Monitor size should not factor, unless you are running different resolutions. I'm on a 1080P 30" single display currently. I have my 2x 24" LCDs, but they are on the other desk now. I have yet to hook up the other displays, since they will be for consoles and one will be a movie screen in the bedroom.

• 2 years later...

This is quite a necro post, but I feel it relevant since I have been using a 980 GTX (Gen1 4GB) since Spring 2015. I had some issues with the DisplayPorts using adapters and I came to find out this is because they are Gen1 DisplayPort that require an active adapter for HDMI.

I have the Asus Strix 980 GTX. I tend to use the DVI port with an HDMI adapter because it shows POST screens faster than the HDMI slot does. You may have and can find plenty of benchmarks of my performance using the card here on the forums. Most recently in the Razer Blade 1060 review.

Saving you a click, the 980 GTX is still faster, but for the price the 1060 GTX card is likely a better value. I should be making someone a build with a 1060 in there, so I'll add some versus benchmarks when that time comes.