Looking to Build a Small Arsenal

I have a Glock model 22 (.40 S&W) and am looking to add an assault rifle and shotty. Also have an SKS, but am looking for a lighter, hi-cap rifle. As far as long range weaponry goes, I've got a Springfield .30-06 that is nasty.

So anyway I've been checking out this DPMS Sportical that costs like $650 bones. It's a really minimalistic AR style rifle, but it doesn't come with sights, so I'd either have to buy them or buy some kind of optics (which are fuckin expensive!). Also probably gonna go with a Mossberg 5XX for the shotty. Seems like a hell of a bang for your buck weapon, and has a track record.

What do you phoolz think? Maybe there is a better way to go in terms of AR rifles? Perhaps I could buy a kit and assemble it for the cheap?

• 2 weeks later...

Homey!

I had a Glock 22, in fact it was my first Glock. The only reason I moved it along was to pick up a S&W M&P15 (AR15).

Shotgun:

Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 (Or a New Haven, which is actually old school Mossberg at half the cost :P). So you are dead on with your choice so far. Upgrades/mods are everywhere for them, I recommend a top folding stock for a true badass shotty look. Make sure you score some nice 00 Buck in 3" mag form :) That should rock your world.

AR:

AR's are tight no doubt, and I think every home in America should have a few :), but the most bang for the buck is going to be the AK. The 5.56mm round is fast, right around 3200 FPS out of a 16" barrel, but I just have an issue with a 55grain projectile. You can get heavier, but whats the point? By the time you buy the 60gr+ bullets your cost is near a 150gr - 168gr 7.62x51 (.308). The 7.62x39 AK round packs a lot more punch and is cheaper to shoot. AKs are not tack drivers, so if that is what you are looking for it won't work well for that unless you dump some money into it and reload your ammo, BUT if you are looking for close/mid-range rifle that has some serious knock down power, cheap to shoot (Cheaper at least), and a parts world almost as strong as the AR, the AK will definitely be the right choice. The other big advantage is that you have an SKS, so the ammo can be used in both. Depending on your SKS you maybe able to mod it to accept AK mags. 75rd drums are about $180 for the AK where the AR is over $240.

So with that being said, if you do want an AR, I would definitely build one, rather than buy. However, if I was to buy another I would definitely hunt for another S&W M&P15. After I sort out my 50 bmg buy, I will be working on my next AR. The only thing that I am unsure of is if you can pick up an AR these days for $650. If you can, buy it, and let me know where you got it from because I will more than likely buy one as well. At the local gun show last weekend good ARs (Not tricked out, just quality ones) were selling for $1400 or so. DPMS may not have the BEST rep, but they are known as a good rifle overall. As far as no sights on that DPMS, you can score some top of the line sights for around $150, or you can score one hell of a scope for some where around $200. I would strongly recommend Nikon as they will give you the most bang for the buck. I have shot Nikons on everything from .22lrs to 50 bmgs and never had an issue. I like the Buckmaster line, but pretty much anything from Nikon is going to be high quality. Check out www.swfa.com for optic options.

Here is a good choice http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9...riflescope.aspx

I shoot 10x out to 1k meters (Most of the time 400m - 600m), 3x9 will give you what you need to shoot close (3x) 30 - 50 meters, and 9x will let you tack drive at 100 meters, or hit your target out to 600 meters (Further if you can shoot well) But keep in mind, if it is a 5.56, or a 7.62x39, your looking at about 400m - 500m for knock down power. More than likely less with a 5.56 due to the bullet. It will be accurate as hell out that distance, but if cover or body armor is used, you have yourself a bb gun. Of course, that's why you have the 30.06 which would take someone's head off at that range.

Now if a scope is what you wanted and you wanted to keep it all about the open sights, you could also check into red dots. You could get a very nice red dot for about $150. It will give you about 2 MOA @ 100yds, and no eye relief issues. That would be the best option for a close to mid range rifle. Here is a VERY nice red dot from Bushnell for $240 http://www.swfa.com/pc-13206-196-bushnell-holosight.aspx

But you don't need to get that exact model to get a good one. I had a different one on my AR that was great, and it ran me about $120'ish.

So that's what I got

After the Holiday season you need to get some mags, cause when Obama gets sorted they are so getting banned again. That means, pre-ban mags that sold for $15 - $30 today, will end up selling for $50 - $100 then

Hell yes. We also could use a snow blower, as it snows again and the driveway cries. :o Workin to get new to me tires on my Ride 1st.

Both mobile brosers fail on attachnent upload ;(

Edited by Pic0o

Well,

I found another AR and an AK that I think I am going to pick up. They are chambered in 5.45x39 :) Yea boy!, its cheap to shoot (2k rounds $200 USD). This will help aid in the cost of shooting for sure. The specs for the 5.45x39 are close to the AR (5.56mm), just a little slower and a little less power. Needless to say, for shooting targets @ 100m it will be fine :)

• 1 month later...