• GG: Books
  • 360-GT: Pic0o
  • PSN ID: Pic0oP
  • NNID: Pic0oP
  • Server: Malboro
  • MMO: FFXIV
  • Nic: Carla Picout

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I spent some time this weekend playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.  I did not pick up a switch, so I am playing the game on Wii U.  I wanted to cover some base observations after around 12 hours of play.

You can play on the Wii U tablet, but it is not for touch screen use on things, such as placing map markers.
You can play with a Wii U Pro gamepad, when playing off the TV.
You will see some slowdowns, but the game is still playable and functions without fault.
Touching the touch screen, juggles between playing on the TV or Wii U gamepad LCD.  There will be a brief load while it goes between display modes.

The world map exploration is pretty enjoyable.  I don't think it's a spoiler, but the Skyrim comparisons, break down to the item and weapon inventory system.  Side quest and main story documentation is a thing as well, so seeing where you left off is vastly easier than most prior Zelda games.  So far I'm having fun.  There is quite a bit of exploration and I just broke the surface.

There is some more realism in respect to food gathering and elixir making, so that will factor into your exploration.  That's all I'm going to say at the moment, since my concern was sharing observations of the Wii U edition, since most all review outlets are covering the Switch edition.

#2 Pic0o

Pic0o

Technologist

• Admin
  • 11,182 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

I'm actually playing this game.  It's a different leap for a Zelda game for sure, largely due to the inventory system and world map.  You will learn real quick when you are in an inappropriate zone, because the enemies will wreck you.  Amiibos are helpful to give you more in-game items and the Zelda ones seem directly correlated to getting chests with weapons or armor in them.  You will unlock a skill shortly into playing, that will let you pick a spot to activate the Amiibo and items will drop there.

Food crafting is pretty handy, as it will give you some temporary character buffs, in addition to replenishing your hearts.  Shrines are mini-dungeons where you mostly do puzzles, but also have some for fights.  Random note: I got to see this played @ the NYC Nintendo World location.  Wild that they have that giant screen, but on a good note, the Wii U version looks relatively close to the Switch version.  Considering those consoles are still hard to find, that's a nice perk.  Granted I'm not too keen on jumping into another Nintendo console just yet.

Saving happens automatically, but you can also save at any time.  I mentioned stamina and it comes in most use for evasion, gliding, climbing and extended attacks.  Funny thing about the game manual... it does exist but covers just about zero game mechanics.  I did pickup the game guide book and it details some of the fight mechanics you will learn in some of the Shine challenges.  A few ripostle type counter moves and such to get the solid beats in on those fights.

The world map is pretty huge, imo.  I discovered over half of the zone towers.  Level design is very heavily layered and diverse with plenty of hills and enclosures to explore.  You can also tame wild horses and ride them around, with the option to stable some as your own horse.  As you encounter other ranches, you can call your registered horses to that region, as the call range of the whistle is fairly limited.

I saw other people mention this is a significantly different game feel for a Zelda title and I agree.  Harder a play but fun to explore.  Keep note another change is the weapon system, where most all items lose durability and break.  There is a method to repair some items, but typically it means it will break shortly after the worn down message.

Spoiler

I'll continue to play through but I have to say I'm glad to have picked this game up.  I don't want to cheapen it with comparisons to other games, but a Skyrim (Item and Quest system), Far Cry (gliding exploration), Dark Souls (Items and challenge difficulty) seem to be pretty accurate.  Take note I am only on the 1st Boss (Primal) Dungeon.

#3 Pic0o

Pic0o

Technologist

• Admin
  • 11,182 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

I spent the last week on Holiday and beat Ganon on Saturday.

I had quite a good time playing through.  Spent plenty of time in the Shines to gather orbs so I could increase my Health and Stamina.  The stamina boosting is pretty helpful in combat, evasion and especially climbing.  As I was outside Ganon's fight, I was low on healing items and was getting stomped.  So I used amiibos to get cooking items and a little more gear (from the Zelda ones), left the castle, cooked and came back for the win on that fight.

You can continue to play after beating Ganon, but you will need to warp out of the castle to continue on your adventures.  I'd have to check my play time but I think I got about 60 hours in.  I tend to take my time and did plenty of exploration around the world map.  I did decide to pickup the season pass for the extra content... so at some point there will be more story to play once the DLC kicks in.

There were a couple of Shines that relied on the tilt mechanism and felt a little wonky, but I managed to complete those.  Random tidbit for anyone who likes to use an external speaker from the Wii U Gamepad.  It will output audio over the 3.5mm port, even when not playing in tablet mode.  I had an external speaker playing game audio, since I was playing on a LCD without audio output.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users