HP Laptop 11 inch Stream x360 P010NR

When I call this a fire review, I mean it covers some uncommonly answered questions and critiques.

Does this device run Linux distributions? Yes. Ubuntu 14.x and 16.x work, but I did have some display glitching when resuming from a power state. To mitigate this, I could switch to a TTY screen and back to X (Ctrl+Alt+1 then back to X via Ctrl+Alt+7). Same case for Ubuntu Studio.

This laptop will also run Tails distributions. You can boot from USB in either UEFI mode or Legacy BIOS mode USB.

I also had Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 on this device. As it has 32 GB of SSD space and 2 GB of RAM, Windows 10 would constantly complain about free memory when opening a web browser. Considering this is an Intel Celeron N2840, I did pick a x64 bit installer despite not having 4 GB+ of RAM. Besides the error nagging, the OS did work fine.

I picked it up for $250 on sale at a local store. Considering I use this for configuration and testing, the weight of about 3.5 lbs works well for me. Also handy is the 'convertible' function that lets you flip the screen to the rear of the keyboard, like a giant tablet. Windows touch and tablet use works vastly better than Linux out of the gate, but short of messing with the on-screen keyboard and doodling pictures with the multi-touch screen, I don't use the touch options often.
When the screen is flipped, the keyboard is disabled. Considering this also is the case in linux, I figure there is a hardware detection of when the screen is flipped to disable the keyboard from accidental presses.

There are 3 USB ports, an SD Card slot, HDMI output, Ethernet port, bluetooth, headphone output on this model. The SD Card is handy to help with the limited hard drive space. CPU wise, you have 2.2 GHz with a burst of 2.58 GHz. Display size is 11" at a resolution of 1366 x 768. Maximum brightness is a little lacking, so you will have some glare issues in heavier sunlight.

The restore partition ate up about 6 GB iirc, however I wiped that from the drive. When you are dealing with a 32 GB hard drive, that stings, especially if you were looking to setup a multi-boot environment off the SSD. When I say SSD, this is also not a standard SATA one.

That concludes this fire review. Especially the question of if it runs linux distros or not.

• 1 month later...

I have another model of this tablet / laptop, and want to share that you may see hard-locking in GNU Linux and various distros. This is pure conjecture, but I suspect the limited run Intel CPU (Atom) in this device, combined with being a tablet detachable, laptop hybrid. On the Envy X2 model, the components share space with the LCD.

'Fix' is used lightly, but yes dim your display to try and mitigate this issue. Especially in full load conditions.

TurnDownYourLights1500px.jpg