Red Steel

Pic0o

I was curious about Red Steel, and I heard some cons about it via reviews in Nintendo Power, and a few Web reviews, so I went out to rent it.

I played a few levels and while the gameplay was flagged as 'Goldeneye-ish' by Kat, the same clunky view movement was there, despite the fact I was using a Wii Remote, that in theory, should be quite close to Trackball accuracy, as shown in other Wii titles.

Playing the Single Player mode gives you a decent feel and perception of the game, despite the poor graphic models, and 'cut scenes' (calling them cut scenes is being generous). I tried to keep an open mind, and I was doing a good job... until I loaded up multi-player.

Multiplayer in Red Steel is pretty crappy IMO. The weakness of the controls is exposed when playing with someone else local, and the Models in MP are just filthy looking, when I say filthy, I mean asian man faces with a bad wig on, to represent the Female Models.

Also to mention, the sword play in Red Steel is kinda *blah*. While Warioware is a much newer title, it does a much better job of representing sword fights, and I hope to see this gameplay model ported and possibly enhanced, to future Sword Battle games

The Wiimote interface feels to be the weakest point, as the nunchuck reload and grenade throwing are pretty accurate. One major tweak that would enhance the Grenades, would be holding 'C' and 'Z' to prep your nade, and swing the nunchuck to release it.

While the game is interesting to play for a little bit, the overall game flaws prevent me from wanting to buy the game, or attempt to complete the storyline.

I'm hoping the next Wii FPS offerings bring a good bit more fun and less clunky gameplay to the table.