Memorial Day-ish News

Pic0o

Welcome back to the work week. When you have a 4 day work week and Mario Party 8 to smooth you on, it does not seem too bad of a haul to the weekend. Anyhow, I'll be off to TN next week for some training, so I figure now is a good time to get some news up.

Almost any regular to the site knows I do what I can to avoid Politics on the site, however there are some stats and articles that you cannot help but ignore, especially ones about the obvious fact that 'Voice of the People' is a dying trend. Let us cite some resources.

Records obtained from the immigration courts under the Freedom of Information Act show that only 0.0015 percent of the total number of cases filed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security were terrorism related, despite the fact that the Bush administration has repeatedly asserted that it is the primary focus of the DHS.

A report issued Sunday by independent research group The Transactional Records Action Clearinghouse (TRAC) found that in the last three years there have only been 12 charges of terrorism out of 814,073 cases.

• Here is an interesting one about Healthcare, Medical experiments to be done without patients' consent. This one is a double sided coin, as it seems well enough intended to treat those unable to make a decision, while also being a 'back-door' for Pharmaceutical Shops to swing around the FDA, and perform human testing. I know we want to save the Animals, but do we want to loose family members to sub-par medications?

We should always have a choice, so long as we have our voice, or written word.

• Paul Craig Roberts writes an interesting article about the Democracy boasting US Administration, that ignores the will of it's people, flat out. Politics aside, we have a nice little circle here.

Bush continues to tell his favorite lies that he is bringing "freedom and democracy to Iraq" and that Muslims hate us because of our "freedom and democracy." He continues to make these inane assertions even as he ignores the will of the American people and destroys habeas corpus, the foundation of civil liberty.

Bush ignores the will of the people as expressed in last November’s congressional elections and as expressed in opinion polls. The New York Times/CBS News poll released May 24 shows another sharp drop in public support for Bush and his war. America is "seriously off on the wrong track" was the response of 72 percent of the public.

President Bush, the Republican Party, and the Democratic Party have proved to the entire world that the American people have no voice. The American people have no more ability to affect their government’s policy than inmates in a gulag would have.

• NASA Feels the $$$ Pinch. They mention the current administration to be holding them back. Since there is no one in space to kill yet, it's a waste of time, I guess.

Now, an expert in ageing at Sheffield University, who has been working on sodium benzoate since publishing a research paper in 1999, has decided to speak out about another danger. Professor Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology, tested the impact of sodium benzoate on living yeast cells in his laboratory. What he found alarmed him: the benzoate was damaging an important area of DNA in the "power station" of cells known as the mitochondria.

He told The Independent on Sunday: "These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it: they knock it out altogether.

"The mitochondria consumes the oxygen to give you energy and if you damage it - as happens in a number if diseased states - then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously. And there is a whole array of diseases that are now being tied to damage to this DNA - Parkinson's and quite a lot of neuro-degenerative diseases, but above all the whole process of ageing."

Happy Shortened week. Be sure to represent your Traditional Memorial Day tomorrow by giving thanks to those US Soldiers who died for the country. If anyone get mistreated more, it's the fine people who serve the country for an Administration who lately treats them like G.I. Joe's for their destructive pleasures.

Random note - We removed the last of the old dirty carpet from upstairs in the house this weekend. Have a good week, and good luck saving your sanity. ;)