FunTimeBliss ::
Sign in to follow this  
Pic0o

Drives

Jolly :zzz: morning. I'm rolling through a pile of old office drives to purge the data off them. Good olde 20 to 120GB Drives sitting around gathering dust, yet not ideal for scrap until I roll a 3-pass wipe sequence on them after a format. 'cipher /w:$:' got my back, as $ = Partition letter. This command writes over any free space on a drive.

It's looking to be a rainy day, so I will have to manage the strain of playing games when I get outta work. :P Happily it's Thursday, so tomorrow = almost awesome weekend. I'm giving the Gameb0x a hearty defrag, as I'm curious how it will run the Left 4 Dead Free Demo avail on Friday.

I am also thinking about rolling a Win 7 install on my game rig, but no timeline on that one. That about sums up my tinkering. I spent a bit of the weekend and this week getting some drives perma-mounted in the H20 cooled Myth Rig. My only beef with Linux as a Media Rig, is the poor HD Video playback. I hope to resolve that by using Windows 7 streaming on a 360. :yar:

Somehow, playing games and tinkering seem to blend together throughout the weekends. :junk:

I never dealt with a GPT Drive before. This quick process helped me out, so I can wipe said drive and add it to the OK to dispose of pile. ;)

The above also works for EISA Partitions, just follow some extra steps to select and delete said partition(s).

Nix Wipe info

I'll give this a try later on, I have around 10 old hard drives im going to get rid of with god knows what on them. I remember thinking, so much room who could possibly need more room on my hearty 20 and 40gb drives :lol:

I'm still busting down a pile of drives, and the smallest I have seen is 324MB. :lol:

FYI: just because you do a full multi-pass write on a drive with NTFS, don't assume any old FAT data is still not on there. I did a few smaller drives that were initially FAT, formatted and multi-passed in NTFS, to run some FAT recovery software and still found files on the drive.

Keep that in mind for the older drives. You might want to do a run per file system that was on the drive.

I also used shred in Linux on a drive with a 5-pass and it took almost 6 hours for ~ 10GB. I'll see if I can sniff anything off that drive once I get the Laptop up to data sniffing par.

cipher site:funtimebliss.com, is apparently not google friendly but this command for drive wipes works on windows 7. ultimate edition on that install.

Also available on windows 8.1. pro install

This old thread bump for cipher /w:[driveLetter].  I wrote in more fragments but the theme to continue a wipe with a multi-pass wipe, as a baseline to clear prior data is a good method for an entire drive to write-over all previous data.
drive letter you should full path to, and you will see a new caps, 8char folder spawned.  Cipher will write 3-pass to the free space including USB devices.  Syntax sample from windows 10 below.

cipher /w:d:\

The multipass will write over unused space, so the current non-deleted files will remain.  Review the help syntax for using /w to be sure you are not doing this to mounted remotely storage, else you may lose all existing data. Warning ymmv, always backup what is on the disk you are clearing free space from in the event to avoid data loss of critical content.

Sign in to follow this