Saints Row 2

Pic0o

This topic will also get some additional bump as I progress. I scored Saints Row 2 for $25 @ the local shop and I've put in about 3-4 hours so far. It almost goes without saying that there are some GTA similarities, as this is also a sandbox shooter where you start from the bottom and fight (or kill) your way to the top.

That being said, it is a pretty fun game, that does take itself less seriously than GTA4 did. When I got done with Customizing my character and saw the Gun selection, I certainly got a little Vice City vibe and most would agree that is a complement. Driving has an insanely welcome new feature, and it's Cruise Control. it literally makes so much sense, you wonder how it has not made it into previous sandbox games. Also with driving, you use face buttons for accel and reverse, while the triggers are your brake and handbrake controls. After driving for about 15 minutes, I'd have to say I like this method of car control. You can also shoot from vehicles and get your ride upgraded @ car shops. I tricked out a SUV and that thing had spikes out the tires to give other drivers flat tires and I also threw some hydraulics on it for flare and bumpin'.

On foot, you have a stamina bar that will replenish when not running, and your Health also will replenish when you are not getting injured. Jumping and ducking are always welcome controls, as they are present. You also get Positive and Negative gestures you do from the D-pad for socializing with folks. Another fun addition is the Human Shield / Toss people option. Left Bumper will grab someone and use them as a bullet shield. You can still run with a person hostage and when you are done, give Left Bumper a press and toss your hostage like a sack of taters.

Gun selection is done by holding B, then moving the Left Stick to whatever weapon you want. If you want to smoke a blunt, drink a 40oz, or eat food (on person) use the D-pad that matches said item on the Weapon menu, while holding B down. I haven't drank yet, but smoking a blunt will give you a cloudy vision for a bit. :blunt:

Structure wise, you have your Main missions and side games / missions. So far, I've done some:

• Fight Club - Cage match melee against an increasing number of foes.
  • Celebrity protection - You toss crazy fans with the intent to kill, away from the celeb. Cool environment kills on most of the levels.
  • College one I forgot name of - You drive around in a flame suit on an ATV and race through checkpoints, getting bonus time for running people over and blowing shit up.
  • Insurance Fraud - You get in accidents and try to acquire damage equal to or greater than the amount, in the time limit.

These are the ones that stuck with me the most. I appreciate the scope of different things to do and the silliness is also a nice change.

Besides that, a good map is in the game and when I started playing, someone was sitting on the floor hitting a bong. I do enjoy the less seriousness of this game. I also dig the references to RF:G back story in this game. :bunny:

Current Paid DLC:

• Ultor Exposed (800 MS Points)
  • Corporate Warfare (560 MS Points)

You can get the UnKut stuff for free. It gives you extra tattoo options and stuff.

I do have to mention the badness of needing the DLC to play Online. Xerxes tried to join up with me, but I got blocked since I didn't have the DLC. I just got both packs anyway, as I justified them with the cheap used price on the game. Still pretty shitty you cannot play with folks who have the DLC. Crackdown and Fable 2 were able to handle this, without forcing a new players hand to buy DLC.

Xersex mentioned Ultor Exposed is 3 missions, and Corporate Warfare looks to 1, from what I am seeing. It turns out I did start some of the Ultor missions and I didn't notice those were the DLC ones, until a few minutes ago. :P

Btw, here are some 'Cheat codes' for vehicles from the GameStop codes. Via this GameFaqs thread, they do not count as cheats that disable achievements.

Glitch wise, speaking of Insurance Fraud (side-mission), I hit someone so hard, I flew out the windshield, then got high-speed hit by a semi. By time I was not being hit, I was glitched into the pavement, with part of my lower back and ass sticking out of the ground. Even when the timer ran out, I was still stuck, so I pressed Down on the D-pad to abandon and retry the side mission.

Anyway, to recap, this is a pretty fun game. If you see it on sale, certainly scoop this up! I see it also made the Platinum Hits list, via the Xbox.com site.

Edited by Pic0o
DLC experience
  • 3 weeks later...

I like SR2 also. Mainly because it reminded me so much of GTA. If you like the driving so much wait till you get to fly planes and helicopters. When I see you online and in a SR game I'll try to join in with you. I had people try to join my game when I first started playing it.