Left 4 Dead 2

Pic0o

Welcome to the dedicated thread. Since we have been able to play the retail, I grabbed my last post from the L4D thread. I'll keep details on the new stuff in this post and beyond. :smurfy:

I got a chapter and a half in last night and it was very good. I am loving the new levels, the southern setting of the game lends itself for some really cool levels. The 1st Chapter was awesome and I look forward to busting out the 2nd one tonight. Speaking on Chapters, the game ships with 5, and 3 have 5 levels, while the other 2 have 4 levels to them.

Observations so far are:

• I wish I could default my Primary weapon to be melee. When you pick up a gas can or use a medpack, your 1st weapon will be Guns over Melee. You can just fast-press 'Y' 2x to get your Melee out, but a local option to default to Melee would be sweet.
  • The 2nd Campaign is called Dark Carnival and the tagline is 'You must be this tall... TO DIE'. :blunt:
  • You can get Laser sights for your Guns. Increased accuracy and additional bad ass Powa.
  • Clowns: You will attend to them.

Also, here is the list of Special (playable) Infected:

• Boomer: Same as the last game, fat, full of vomit and ready to explode. I'm pretty sure I saw some Female Boomers in this game
  • Charger: (New) They charge at you, grab a survivor and slam them to the ground, doing fast and heavy damage.
  • Hunter: Same as 1st game. Pouncing your foes from a crouched position and slashing the shit out of them. Of note, your actual Pounce does no damage if you are close ranged, but from a range you get some extra damage before those slashes.
  • Jockey: (New) Little lungers who jump on your head and take control. Big fans of leading survivors into a shit storm of undead.
  • Smoker: Same as 1st game. Use your tongue and guts to trap a survivor. Stealth is your friend, same for distance.
  • Spitter: (New) You Spit vile fluid that busts up survivors. It will fade away after a few seconds, maybe 30 sec or so.
  • Tank: Punch and Throw stuff @ the survivors to make a bad day worse. ROID Rage.

This is a very solid addition to the previous game and is worth picking up. I saw this only playing a portion of the SP and not even playing Versus yet. Versus is gonna be sweet.

Below are the Gametypes in L4D2, transcribed from the manual:

• Campaign: Same as it ever was. Start somewhere, get to a safer place by completely skirting safety. :P
  • Survival: Like the 1st game's addon mode, Kill to live, go for the longest time up.
  • Versus: Just what is sounds like, Infected vs Survivors.
  • Scavenge: (New) 4v4 Infected vs Survivors. You scour the map looking for items (survivors) and the infected aid to fuck up your Christmas. This looks to be a timed game too.
  • Realism ~versus~: (New) Infected are more resilient and take less damage. Sounds like Pro versus mode. You also loose many HUD indicators, such as Team halo outlines, making finding your team mates will be harder, if you get split up.

There are also various new items Survivors can use, such as Boomer Bile, Adrenaline, Defibrillators, and incendiary ammo. Gun wise, there are some new fun guns too. I have played with a few, but I like me some Melee and the Chainsaw is fun, til the gas runs out. ;)

I mentioned this in the L4D thread, but the Laggy 360 experience continues. You are fine playing solo, but playing online is horribly lagged.

L4D2-Sight.jpg

L4D2-DarkCarnival.jpg

Haven't played versus yet either. So far I've done the first 2, and tried the 3rd, but wasn't able to beat it with my group. I've been playing only at advanced, and once I do everything at advanced, I will do expert... and I also have yet to look at that "realistic" option on the root game menu.

Been going back and forth between L4D2 and WoW.

Cool. I've been playing Normal with Bots and taking in the level scenery. :bunny: I got through Dark Carnival last night and man that Finale gets crazy near the end (granted, this was on Normal). The night before, I made it to the 3rd level, but was too tired to hang with the coaster.

I played from the 3rd level to end that installment, then replayed it on Easy so I got my points for completing it, aince I just did Medium from half-way. :P

Cool to the juggle, killing zombies is tiring. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see the L4D2 DLC info is out. I am doing plenty fine with the base game, as I still have 2 chapters to complete. I have been replaying the first couple, so I can Rambo those bitches out now. :P

Besides the new SP chapter with the OG L4D crew you encounter, the below is pretty interesting.

In addition to the new story mode, The Passing brings us a brand new Uncommon Infected, new maps for Survival, Scavenge and Versus and a mysterious new co-op mode. In addition, there will be a brand new firearm and a new melee weapon to up the zombie-smashing ante.

Gotta like that weapon add. Looks like a direct counter to the 'Stuff I would have got for free on PC'. I'm not saying this isn't likely to be free on PC, but at least adding new weapons is a little more tricky than making maps, I guess. Still sounds good, but I'm kosher on the base game for now. ;)

DLC slated in the Spring time.

I have only played the game a handful of times since my WoW addiction kicked back in. Haven't touched DA or Borderlands much either. Let me know when you're up for some more Chapter Clears and we will rock zombie faces

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still have yet to Vs with some XBL heads, but I did finish up my last 2 chapters of Story. This was excellent on the new TV. I got the goofy medic pack on my avatar now. :roflmayo:

It looks so goofy, especially since your avatar doesn't seem to actually wear it.

I'd have to say the Dark Carnival campaign seemed the hardest, as I swept through the last 2 with relative ease. This run was continued on Normal, and only had 1 death tonight on the Finale of The Parrish.

Xboxen break as I am feeling a movie or two. I think celebrating GG to watching Zombieland, is a smooth move. ;)

In closing for anyone wondering if they should get this, know that the 5 chapters in this game are much more engrossing than the 1st game. If you liked the 1st Left 4 Dead and didn't get this yet, you are missing out on some sweet enhancements and extra gameplay. Well worth the purchase, zombie killing bias aside. :zyo:

• 8 months later...

Bump to shout on the Steam sale. Got L4D2 for under $7 bucks for PC. Took ages to download yesterday, but it's on my rig now. Finding free time to bust some :zyo: up, as it be that season.

Having a PC capable to play this now, really negates the console brethren. If you can play this on PC, you get mod :wub: and all the Valve DLC for FREE. Laughable since the Xbox expansion costs about as much as the full game on Steam, thanks to the sale. :bunny:

I still have L4D2 on 360, but may part ways for credit on Fallout New Vegas, assuming it fetches a decent few bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I love MP L4D2 on PC... haven't played in a bit, but I played many many many hours on it. And yes, gotta love the free DLC.

I owned it for console and just hated it after knowing how much better it rocked on PC. The control in MP mode is just so much more accurate. :S And just in general...

Anyhoo, guess there's a new DLC to check out.