Pokemon Black and White

Pic0o

So, this weekend was the drop date state side for some new Pokemon action. Kat got her copy (Black) before Work yesterday and I didn't get a bunch of play on my White copy, to be nice to her as she was working til 6. This gave me time to get rocked in some Battle Revolution and other stuff.

Anywho, as the thread states them new Pokemon titles are out. One of the biggest changes to start, is the changed camera angles and 3D (like models, not 3DS visuals) battle screens. Also on the visual side, when people talk in-game you will now see a text bubble, instead of the fixed one person at a time dialog. You will also have a larger character sprite due to the new camera / display style. Finally of the most apparent change, will be the game intro. As :kat: said, it seemed pretty .hack-ish and is really intense for a Pokemon intro.

I only have about an hour of play (to be fixed today), but I did give the manual a readthru. To start on the main menu screen, you should do a Mic test, mostly just to see Jigglypuff sing to your voice. :P While doing some config steps, I highly recommend changing the text speed to fast, as I do in pretty much anything I play. You will still press a button to read the next lines of dialog, you just don't have to wait for characters to display per line.

2 big things that jumped out at me as nice improvements:

- Saving your Data only has 1 prompt to verify. The 2nd one on the previous titles warning about existing data were redundant.

- On the Battle Screen, it shows the real time clock in the upper left corner of the bottom display. Very handy for Lunch breaks and such.

Slight cons:

- I don't know if it will change soon in the story, but currently with running, we are back to a 'hold B' approach. I very much enjoyed the dedicated button on the touch-screen in HG/SS for turning run on or off.

For transferring Pokemon (Poke Transfer) from the DS series games (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver) the manual says you have to complete the main story before doing so. I am thinking this ma be different than the Local WiFi trade area. Checking the wiki on Trading, it looks like regular trading works the same as old games. Using Poke Transfer is different, and is a one-way process.

As usual, you will need 2 DS systems to trade Pokemon from Cart to Cart. Bless our DS Lite we kept around for it's GBA port, and now trading of Pokemon, to become the trade liaison.

Multi-Player holds the standard options of the DS Gen with Local Wireless and WiFi for internet play. This version also adds Infrared as an option. With Infrared being in the game card (same with HG/SS), you should also have there is no support for the Pokewalker device. IR is used for Trades, giving out Trainer Cards, and so on.

A new component in Gen V (White / Black) is the C-Gear. It serves as the Multiplayer Hub and has support for some passive connect modes, so you can fire up C-Gear to wander around and collect other people's trainer info. Happily for the wee ones, the manual is littered with Red text advising them to not use personally identifiable info, like School, Home Address, etc.

Apparently you can also setup little surveys for people to take when they come in contact with your DS. Xtransceiver seems to work like a friend / notify list, so you can see when your crew is online / local. DSi and XL users will apparently get some Video functions with the cameras, so that will be something Kat and I give a run through this week. Entralink is an island you get transported to, where you can set Entree challenge like Missions. If you complete someone's Entree mission, you will get Pass Orbs (shit yes) and your Entree will gain a level, giving you more Pass Powers to set more missions for people to play.

Also while in Entralink if you stand on bridges, you will automatically connect to other players C-Gear info. Also in the Entree Forest, you can catch Dream World Pokemon, another new feature to these games. Dream World = Entralink Pokemon you encounter. In the Forest, you can only catch Pokemon in your own instance.

Finally for the multi-player side, GTS (Old Name: Global Trade system) now called GL (Global Link) and the familiar WiFi trading and battling functions are present.

That's about all I have for now. Will add / update as I come across more.

Edited by Pic0o

TM usage in this game is reusable for all of them, not just the HMs. Very handy for learning some mad moves. :) Also after beating a Gym leader last night, I agree that having a well rounded team of Pokemon is a good idea. As mentioned above on the bottom screen capabilities, I got access to some after getting my 1st badge.

Also a confirmed heads up, you can connect to WPA wireless networks for online in Black and White if you are playing on a DSi/XL. Dream World multiplayer and other Global Link functions (IE Game Sync) will not be supported until the system goes live on March 30th. <-- Link to GL site.

/random:

If you want some animated sprites, check here out. I'd change my avatar to the attached, but 90k is pretty extreme, but you can feel free ;)

SnorlaxAni.gif

Edited by Pic0o

Town 3 has some addon stuff to investigate. Spoiler tag to keep the mystery til desired.

Relocator is an import feature that will let you import the Legendary Beasts from a previous Gen 4 ds game. 2nd DS required to DL them. To get this, talk to a guy on the 2nd floor of the building with the Name Rater / Renamer. Said password is:

Everyone Happy Simple Connection

Also in the 3rd city (Castelia City) is the boat taking you to Liberty Island so you can catch Victini. Be sure to download the event ticket Mystery gift over Nintendo Wifi to get access to said island.

I am abou 16 hours in and about to do Badge fight 3. Kat gets home soon, so she can put in some poke werk. ;p

Ok so basically... can't trade Pokemon to our Black and White games from Diamond like we want? Until we beat Black and White?

Took me ten thousand years to get the wifi to work since we didn't use WEP security on our router, fucking gayness. Preggo raged about 12 times, then just changed the damn router settings despite how much we didn't want to do that. So we got friend codes but couldn't get them to register even though they were correct. Well the Black to White works, but Diamond is a no go. Very lame and much sadness.

Edited by Pea

You have a lite, right? Yeah you are screwed on non-WEP, but since he has an XL, it will support WPA security fine. WPA will only work for White / Black on a DSi / XL though. We were using the Nintendo WiFi dongle but I didn't want to leave a PC on all the time for it. I ended up getting a $35 router, that I put on a different network subnet, so anything that connects is not on the same LAN as the computers and such.

Hmmm on friend codes as we didn't have much trouble, but I did see people mention WiFi has been wonky. You should be able to use the NPC on the left side to do local communication though. I haven't tried any D/P to Black / White yet, but guess that the codes are bombing since they are different Generation games.

When I did the Relocator in White mentioned above, it had me put the Diamond / Pearl DS into Download mode. So it must download some compatibility emulation shell when it does the transfers from the older games.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my credit roll GG after some Elite 4 battles. As usual, you can expect some post game content to enjoy. 54 Hours on my current save with a smidge of post game adventuring. Current Roster is:

Samurott @ 62

Zekrom @ 52

Gurdurr @ 47

Watchdog @ 35

Carracosta @ 43

Swoobat @ 32

My main was probably 3 or 4 levels lower while fighting the E4. I also gave a visit to White City as that is the exclusive town in White, to Black's Black City.

When using the Entralink feature to visit another player's White Forest or Black City, the player can invite people to come to White Forest to increase occupancy; this can enable new items and wild Pokémon to be found.

Gotta invite Kat into my area then. I'm not sure if the Entralink areas will work over WiFi as well, but we should know when those feature are enabled at the end of the month. ;) Dag, the whole Japan Earthquake thing is adding a delay to the online going live.

Edited by Pic0o

Gah, do you seriously not get a single friggin fishing pole until after you defeat the Elite 4? That seems really stupid. >.< Outside Nimbasa City near the Desert Resort there were some fishermen to fight so I figured that must be around the spot to get one. But when I googled it, it all says you have to beat the game basically. sleep.gif Very lame in my opinion!

Of course, I have my cranky pants on right now. If I use protect, nothing fucking happens but whenever some one I am battling uses it I can't fucking hit them ever. Drives me insane. Totally preggo raged on the DS and my game and turned it off without saving. (I have learned to save frequently because that has been happening a lot.) Then I used torment and the fucker still used the same move twice in a row. Made me sooooo mad. Not to mention, Blitzle's name should be Bitchzle... jesus one normal attack and he's down to half health from a pokemon that's the same level as him. Worthless electric little shit, I can't wait to get another pokemon to replace him. I need him right now for his fire charge though. *shakes fist*

Our internet is being shit again today, and I haven't had a working shower since Friday, so I don't think these things are helping any... angry2.gif

Damn, the cards are not playing in your favor. :o

You are right on the fishing pole, as I got it after loading my Elite 4 beaten save. I too was baffled, as in the other games, you at least got one pole pretty early on. As for the protect abilities, I didn't use any of them. That's especially gimped it doesn't work for you, since it seems 100% on bots. When battling against them, I just keep spamming what move I want until the opponent gets 'failed to activate' and I lol at the commonly 1-hit kill they embrace.

I was also laughing when I saw my Water attacks kick the shit out of ghost pokemon. It was a great moment when that happened. I started leveling a Fire type, but had so little use for it, I rolled the XP share to something else.

I did get stomped pretty hard near the end with electric types though. Shit was intense there.

Oh, do you hunger for Awesome wallpapers?

Edited by Pic0o

Ha ha, yea it was a few ragey days. So sad about the fishing pole, but in my exploring I found some one that wanted to trade my Minccino for his Basculin. I had two so did that trade up, kinda lame since it is nicknamed Blueeye. Lol but tis good cause I am at the 5th gym and wanted a few different water pokemon to head in there with.

I rarely use stat change type attacks as well but it just pisses me off when, like you said, the bots use them and it's 100%. *shakes fist* Oh well. Just training up my pokemon that I am gonna use for this gym battle, pulled a few from the box and leveled them. Evolved some too, fun times! I like having Victini to use as a punching bag for XP now. Lol, kinda glad I wasn't able to catch it at first. I will go back at the end of the game or something. I'm trying to plan ahead and figure out what my final team should/will be but for now I keep rotating pokemon in and out of the box so I have been going quite slow.

Hubby has been rushing through the game and missing lots of items and pokemon. Then he gets mad when I catch things like Yamask and Ducklett. MUAHAHAHAHAAA!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy! Bobby ordered HG and SS. His HG came in so he's been switching between that and Black. I'm still waiting for SS to get here, have been playing White a little but it seems to put me to sleep lately. (He had silver back in the day, so wanted HG this time around. Worked out cause I had gold back in the day, and wanted SS.) Lol.

He's got all 8 badges but dunno what he's done about the elite 4 and N. I'm still only with 5 I think... unless flying chick was 6. I don't even remember, foggy preggo brain! Lol, about to fight ice gym leader, so whatever he is! :D

My line-up right now is: Serperior, Gurdurr, Panpour, Zebstrika, Sigilyph and Krokorok.

Word up. I imported some event Pokemon from the Gen IV games (One way transfer) so my main dude had some other 60+ buddies to XP with. I should throw an XP share on my Dragon (title one for White), but it took a bit go get my main from 65 to 72 or so that he's rolling now.

Btw, it seems you can Play this flash game to unlock an Eevee evolution to download from the Global Link, once it comes online.

Edited by Pic0o
  • 2 weeks later...