Sony PS3 3D Display

Pic0o

If you are looking for a nice deal, Best Buy has the Sony PS3 3D Display (link @ Sony site) on sale for $160. These are the same ones that released @ $499 MSRP and I have to say $160 is a sick deal.

I picked one up for Kat. Upon inspection I decided we should get her one, as the initial device is now my main LCD for PC and Console. She picked up a 2nd one while out of town, as store stock is quite low. Gamestop has the same bundle for $200, but those were out of stock in my immediate area.

You get the 3D goggles that double as those fancy color enhancement glasses, while turned off. Colors do impressively look quite better, along with line frames and pixel intersections.

Certainly advised, because $160 is a steal imo, for this display and glasses combo. You can make the 3D work on PC, but it's not going to be ideal, from my testing so far. Info from my testing @ the link.

3D on the PS3 was pretty cool, but not a big staying factor. Happily this screen looks awesome even in not 3D mode.

I like the visual quality of the included glasses, but they are not wide enough for my head. Wearing my vision glasses and the goggles would work if the arms extended more, but the goggles are so narrow that they don't really wear nice on me, even as the only glasses I'd be wearing.

3D does look impressive at first glance, but after a short time, I start to see the ghosting / shadow outlines. I wanted to give 3D another shake last night, but confirmed my opinion is as stated.

That being said, I am interested in how the included Motorstorm PS3 game has multiplayer support from the same screen, whist showing each person a different view. I'll tinker with that this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Do be warned there may be a reason for the Fire Sale on these. 65 pages of thread on the Sony boards confirm what I have been seeing the last few days. Occasional Blackouts for a second or less.

I still have my receipt and box, so RMA may likely be in the cards. Last night was pretty frequent with the issue and I will log how often I see the issue tonight. Desktop or in-game use will have the issue occur if your display has said issue. That issue might be a thermal problem, not too sure yet.

I turned my backlight from the default of 10, down to 9. Dirty test to see if issue comes back up, as I didn't see flicker last night after applying the change. Weekend will show how that goes.

Edited by Pic0o
  • 3 weeks later...

Wanted to share that I haven't seen a flicker since I installed my 570 GTX. When this happened the modified .inf I was using for 3D Display testing was removed and returned to SCEI Monitor. With the inf hack in place, my monitor was titled as a DENON device.

I tried rolling back the .inf prior, but it still showed as a DENON on my Display Properties. With that being fixed again, no issues with this monitor.

I watched Prometheus on my buddies 3D TV and confirmed that 3D just doesn't do me well. Shadowing and the like were present in the movie, depending on the scene and colors present.

• 3 months later...

My monitor has been working well and I haven't noticed any flicker / blackouts. Kat mentions her screen does this, but I am unsure of how often this occurs. I do not believe her PC ever used the EDID mod for 3D, so that shouldn't be a factor.

Sweet deal -- I'm not really one to care about 3D TV / Monitors at all.... just... still don't really like the idea that much. But $150 for a good quality 24" display is money.:ninjakilla:

• 6 months later...

As I still run this monitor, I can say it does suffer from overheating issues. This is what causes those flickers / power on & off for a second or less. Another person with this display was getting the flickers fairly often, while I have only seen it happen once in the last 6+ months.

Upon inspection of both desk setups, I have my display further away from the wall and clear for decent ventilation. Other setup only have the monitor a few inches from the wall and it was notably warm behind the display. Cut of my jib here, is if you are seeing this display flicker Off/On for you, increase your ventilation.

I'm not sticking up for the assembly flaw by any means, just want to relay how to mitigate it. Now you know a part of why these things went into fire sale mode.

Model number: PS398078