Why no ads here?

Pic0o

The conversation has come up that I could gain some funds by running advertisements on the site. However I never liked the online advertising and how it works. You can add in the potential attack vector of Malvertising (malware in advertising) and see why I remain on that stance to not be on an advertising network.

Ad network exploit vector write-up.

This is also why advertisement and javascript plugins are a really good idea. If you have not done so before, install NoScript and see how many 3rd party domains are accessed when you go to your favorite websites.

Plus the ad rev would be fairly minor and hosting is cheap as ballz.

I've been thinking about possibly finally shutting down HQN, though, and shifting to a more app-service cloud based, spin up some instances of goodness, type setup where I can deploy node.js web services and stuff for doing things like Slackbot webhook integrations and other fun little hobby projects.

Hmm, but that's fairly OT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an example ;)
Once I allowed ftb, don't see noscript at all on this stie :)

Also, I tried to "like" your post:

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Haven't made any yet.

If it's just a setting, no worries. But if something's borked, wanted to let you know.

• Like 1

Sweet. Yeah I'm pretty sure for likes to work, I'd have to turn on the FB features. Sadly I suspect spam will increase if I do this; allowing FB accounts to post here with a pass-thru auth.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, thought it was a forum-only thing. Yeah, keep FB outta here :)

I gave it a better look, and the like button is actually internal forum 'reputation'. I had it set to zero but it is now set to 40 topics a day ;)

• Like 1