Windows XP SP3

Pic0o

I just installed Service Pack 3 on my Laptop, and I noticed that it would not proceed with my Modified NT Kernel, so I edited my Boot.ini and reverted to stock.

I figured it was worth a post to let anyone with custom boot screens know, that you will need to boot the default Kernel to install the Service Pack, and also, it looks like your SP2 Boot Logo will no longer boot. This is pretty much standard operation, but I didn't think they would have bothered with the new Kernel # and compile for this 'Update rollout'.

Someday I'll maybe redo my laptop boot screen. Time and Idleness will tell. :P

Most of the Reboot issues via SP3 I have heard of, seem to stem from AMD CPU's in HP Desktops. I have been delaying the home rollout anyway, but suspect I will this weekend.

You can grab the XP SP3 Network Install (Stand-Alone) from the MS site.

I run Vista on my desktop and the laptop now, all is swell. I rolled out XP SP3 to the file server of crud when it was released but as it was in need of a format but I noticed no differences from SP2 :)

I noticed that the dreaded MMC 3.0 update gets installed with SP3. This MMC likes to cause errors with SQL Server 2000 Plugins, and the same with Diskeeper and regular Manage functions. FYI for anyone, especially running SQL 2000 Server on Windows XP.

This was rolled with Win Server 2003 R2 and caused many a PITA.

• 4 months later...

I am wrapping up some support of a PC, that Stopped working DNS info upon an attempted SP3 install for XP.

I uninstalled Sp3 and Web Access is working again, WTF?!? I got some info from here Looks like I'm not the onry one.

I was able to Install SP3 from Web Download per the spywareinfo Link (1st). Once it got done rebuilding permissions on the reglistry, I was able to install SP3 on this XP Pc. Of note, Network installs for SP3 still say 'Bad File' even tho I downloaded multiple times. SP3 and Web Access are both working currently.

Edited by Pic0o
Had to Ghetto fix