Kat got a DSi

Pic0o

DSi Web post. I set my skin as Lo-fi and I also turned off sigs and avatars. Forums load super fast on the DSi. The same should work awesome for other mobile users, too.

Of most note with the Lo-Fi skin, is a big lack of javascript. This makes clicking links much nicer and enables working post ability.

Huzzah! DSi post workin, along with edits. :smurfy:

Edited by Edward

Btw, I finally spent the 1000 points that came with the DSi. I picked up Mario vs DK: Minis March Again and the Mario clock, as you can actually play it (the clock).

I was able to DL a bunch of user-generated levels for March of the Minis on DSiWare, so that's a sick bonus.

Since I be a junkie, I spent $10 so I could also get Bomberman Blitz and Dr. Mario Express. Both also pretty Rad. Bomberman is old-school play style, with the level spanning both screens. Bots and Wi-Fi internet play supported ;) Dr. Mario is just like the original, just updated graphic & sound wise.

I hope to see many more new games come to the service. Kat will get a few of the mentioned games, once we get that Mario DSi bundle. ;)

Edited by Edward

FYI, The DSi does in fact have larger screens than the Lite.

From Wikipedia:

The console has two larger TFT-LCD screens at 82.5 millimetres (3.25 in), instead of the former 76.2 millimetres (3.00 in).

I went there to confirm this, after getting some screen protectors marked for the DS Lite, and seeing the lower screen cover is much smaller than the display area on the DSi. I thought it looked larger than the Lite, now I have factings.

Finally, we are gonna keep our DS Lite, as it had a GBA port and we can still do Pokemon transfers into the DS games from the GBA ones. ;) Serious Business.

Edited by Pic0o
Club Nintendo info moved to solo thread.

Waaaay tooooo many versions of DS... jesus christ. They make you keep buying new hardware with little upgrades rather than just some next-gen handheld. Wtf nintendo. Guess it workens on you ppl though. :ninjakilla:

Yeah. :lol:

Gen 3 is working for me. Especially since the LL is going to be in the PSP Go price range. :o The electrical tape on the Lite and using Kat's DSi pushed the jack Kat's DSi campaign. :)

The thread title is relevant again, as I found a Blue Mario bundle @ Toys R Us, behind the counter. There were about 4 left, so yay to my /random to stop there on the way home from returning the DS Lite skin protectors. FYI on the Mario DS, the Blue is more like purple if not directly illuminated. When light hits it, you get a Kat approved shade of blue.

If I didn't mention, I found Nintendo branded DSi covers @ Wallymart. So our junkieness leaves us with 2 DSi and our DS Lite for Pokehax and GBA movie adapter support. Passing on the LL models coming out in spring, as they don't add anything new, short of bigger screens.

To conclude, DS Lite heads who consider upgrading to a DSi would gain:

• Larger Screens
  • Enhanced WiFI support (WPA)
  • DSiWare Store Access with Internet Downloaded games
  • A Free (and supremely faster) Web Browser. I compare this to the DS Lite Web Browser one. Note that Cookies will save on the DSi Browser.
  • SD Card slot. Works for images, playing music and storing downloaded games.
  • Higher Brightness, with lower battery life
  • An ability to soft-reset via the remapped buttons. No More Rebooting / shut downs after changing a setting or exiting a game.
  • The Core Bus on the DSi is 133 MHz vs the 67 MHz bus on the Lite.
  • Dual Cameras for snapping pics and editing them goofily. Low res cameras need lit rooms.

Oh shit. Tap the Pen Icon in Pictochat, and get a Rainbow doodle cursor. Black is the default and you can mix both in your doodles. We have much Pictochat memories. :cuddles: Web browser wise, Flash content is still not your friend. I believe the newly flash based forum functions, were what was tripping out the DSi when browsing the forums. That explains why using the Lo-Fi skin bodes so smoothly.

/random fun = Playing Music in the player. There are a few animated sequences that show on the screen and adjust to the beat of the song. You can change the tempo of songs on your device, without modifying them, and it's pretty funny. I like me the Excitebike visualization, especially when you max the playback speed. :bunny:

As mentioned prior, the new button mappings are very good and prevent accidental pressings. No Tape needed for volume fixing. Wow, I just noticed the Lite hit in '06, while the DSi came out this April. I didn't think it was that long ago. :o

Edited by Pic0o
Tweaks

Split this from the above post. Very ghetto bug.

Music playback on the DSi (via DSi Sound) has a hiss to it, while the source audio files do not have this issue. I noticed this when playing audio in my car and I verified it on some headphones now. Playing with the tempo and pitch of songs will modify the active virtualization on the top screen. I am very curious on the cause for audio hiss, as games do not have this problem.

For audio to play on the DSi, you will want to convert it into a MP4 container with version MPEG4. On files I had to convert, they shared the same audio hiss playing on the DSi, but the source files have no hiss. One source file is 258kbps and the other is 128kbps. Both play clearly on PC, but share a hiss on the DSi via headphones. :mallet: Hold the phone, because I am testing again and do not hear the hiss now...

I figured out the cause of the Hiss. When load the DSi Sound app on initial startup, playback with headphones will be distorted. If you exit the app and come back in, playback will be nice and clear. :frl: Weird ass glitches in yo face. w0oo0t.gif

Edited by Pic0o
Bug shit

I put in a support call to follow up an email I put in, and it looks like the issue with sound is specific to my DSi, as Kat's is fine under said conditions.

I was offered to RMA, but Zelda is out on Monday, and I can get around the sound player issue, be it a little annoying. I even did a memory wipe for the hell of it, to no avail.

Update:

Found someone else with this issue. BTW, I also used the Nintendo Sound Test to the same effect, only on initial boot.

Edited by Pic0o
Not just me