Tomb Raider 2013

Pic0o

I jumped on some Tomb Raider (2013) and can happily say it also comes with a Benchmark!

It's release on 3/5 has gotten some PC patching and performance boosts. Having just installed it today, I updated my video drivers (Nvidia 570 GTX) to version 314.21 Beta.

Before playing, be sure to toggle the Refresh Rate to your display's max. I had a default of 24 Hz and it hurt my feelings. Fixed to 60 and far happier, for mine. You don't want that low a refresh rate, I gurreuntee it.

High Benchmark Bench attached. Seeing where my gear gets saucey.

Looks like I'll play Ultra. :D Bench of crazy Ultimate mode just because... it's insane! Outside my hardware budget, but working hard.

This is quite an enjoyable game. I foresee some adjusted sleeping schedules on the horizon.

TR-PCSettDef.png

TR-HighDv314.21.png

TR-UltraDv314.21.png

TR-UltimateDv314.21.png

Edited by Pic0o

At the risk of sounding cliche, this is one of the best action games I have played in many years. Interesting world design where I don't feel it a chore but rather enjoy hunting for collectables. I'm playing on Ultra settings and the game looks mighty fine. Control wise, I feel like I'm playing a proper representation of Tomb Raider in a post Uncharted world.

Tomb Raider is taking back the exploration crown from Uncharted, because it merges the old Tomb Raider style with the fidelity of Uncharted, leaving you with what I feel, is a vastly superior game.

The decision to leave the main playing experience HUD-less is super smart and pays off to engage you in the environment. Gun selection so far is pretty solid, and the use of enhancement system is well done.

As for cons, I did not like some of the QTE scenarios I encountered. They worked fine, but I am not much a supporter of these because I feel they are a cheap means of gameplay and have been largely abused over the last few years. As of current, I cannot say the QTE presence is high enough to take away from the game though. Just a peeve of mine.

FWIW, These QTE uses are more in the vein of Resident Evil 4-era usage.

I am actually interested in giving the multilplayer a spin too. If it's made and supported right, they could be onto something.

Glad I squeezed the trigger on this game. I spent most of yesterday playing and being enchanted by this game. It also helps that the actress playing Laura, is my waifu.

I saw some previews of this game and it's one in awhile that I actually seemed interested in.... and I haven't really played any in the series since like... 10+ years ago or something...

Maybe get it when its more on the cheap. Is it on the cheap yet? :(

Naw dude, unless you think $50 for PC edition is cheap. :P

It sold a ton, so might see some drop in the near future.

To the potential buyer and player. You will see respawning health, no duck run button, Detective Easy mode vision, auto Cover objects, and a bit of 'not sure if cutscene or movement required'.

Still quite enjoying the game. I wished to be balanced in my praise, as those are things that chirped my radar.

Edited by Pic0o

Edited my above post as I play more.

Max Payne 3 / Batman Arkham(s) / Uncharted, would be about the variation of like games to describe what you would see. Not much puzzle play, more so interacting with objects you find or upgrade.

I do have that there batman GOTY something... forget which one..., is there 3 out? Believe it's the 2nd one... def not the 1st. Havent played it yet though!

I do have that there batman GOTY something... forget which one..., is there 3 out? Believe it's the 2nd one... def not the 1st. Havent played it yet though!

Should just be the 2, Arkham City and Arkham Asylum. AA is the older one besed on the island. As AC references City, that's more the open wolrd-ish one. I think AA was a better experience and game, but AC has more hidden OCD items to find. :)

Detective mode is basically "Make everything black and white, except objectives and enemies" mode, in Tomb Raider 2013.

Wrapped up story actions a little bit ago. Going to spend a bit of time in multiplayer maps tonight. I am interested if the world map is where MP is, or if simple DM map cop-out. As you can tell, I appreciate a MP title where the SP world map is your playground.

Enjoyable with flaws. Sudo-linearity of many parts of zones, but not abusively so. Highly enjoyed overall. I spent around ~22 Hours in single player adventurer land. More to come. Want Ultimate @ capped frames. :D

Edited by Pic0o
GG Lara

Completed my run, edited post above this one. I tried some Private multiplayer, happily that let's you start a game solo. 4 modes total, TDM and DM has minimum players.

Quick match is pretty crap on current. Tried QM to multi-queue to a new game, get 1 person but still need more to load. No one likes joining repeat lobbies. :(

Dude, AC is still a very good game. I replayed that before a 2nd play of AA actually. If anything, AA is closer to my favorite because of it's set pieces and hidden content. I think AC had more charm and better story and set piece levels.

You had me wonder where it seemed like I was slamming AC, so I edited that line to more correctly detail what / where I was a little discouraged.

Detective mode is basically "Make everything black and white, except objectives and enemies" mode, in Tomb Raider 2013.

In Tomb Raider, it seems even more blatant than the Batman Rocksteady games. In the later chapters is was helpful for hidden items, but the less you use 'Adventurer mode' in TR, the more enjoyable exploration is. This comes from someone who naturally gets lost.

Post-Mortem TR, I'd have to say the lightness on puzzles was one of the biggest missing presences for this game. I understand it's a reboot and all, but I like some good skull scratching exploration. I think one room had me stuck for about 5 minutes.

Also like Max Payne 3, you will kill LOTS of people. In TR, do you want more XP? Then kill anything that moves and loot it. Animals, people, whatever isn't the people who came with you on the trip. I mainly used the Bow. It seemingly has super powers, or I'm just solid at arrows to the face.

Love the arching in this game. Played it mostly with a gamepad, because honestly it's a fairly easy game to complete on Normal. I'll give the harder runs a try, but if other forums are on it, not much more challenge that route.

Hah I think I was just being silly in my last post. I wasn't super worried. munchies.gif

But good to know anyhoo.

And in future I'll def be trying out the new raider.captain.gif

Good man.

Btw, I never had any crash to desktop issues from my time playing the game. Alt-tabbing was a random affair of success though. I suspect leaving 'Exclusive fullscreen' checked played a part in this, but it didn't bother me enough to change it. That setting also responds with your refresh rate setting I mentioned in the OP.