Netflix Platform Thread

This week unleashed an update for Xbox version of Netflix to give Kinect support. You can apparently pause, play FF, Rew via voice command, but camera wise, you can only select suggested titles. Other flicks require you to use the controller as before. Gimmicky and half-assed, indeed. I haven't done the update yet myself, as I tend to watch via PS3, and seeing the rundown of features, hardly encouraged me to abandon the remote.

Meanwhile, on the PS3, you will notice all of your TV shows and the like are now grouped together as one item, instead of individual seasons. The episode listings have a season and episode prefix to make most watchers happy folks. I was hyped to see this last night, instead of jumping through the instant queue for the next season of a series.

• 2 months later...

Get ready for some price increases. Current members can look forward to a few bucks rolled into the already once increased price for Netflix. I think our current 1 disc and unlimited stream is at $12, and in Sept it looks like that same pack will be $16 or so.

Oh. The streaming only play only supports 1 device. This could become quite annoying of a downgrade, since we'd have to re-register a device anytime we want to watch movies on anything but the PS3.

/random:

I walked up to a redbox the other day. No wonder it's so cheap, they load it with shit movies.

ya theres a big thread at work of people bitching about the price increase...still $8/month here in Canada, however we also have a lesser selection, no instant queue (or any queue for that matter), and no option to have a disc mailed to you.

I'll never understand the whole Canada divide when it comes to US based business delivering content. Well, besides those obviously short-sighted licensing terms and the like, pushed by the content owners.

I understand the hike isn't directly the fault of Netflix, but the more the content owners push up the fees, the more lost revenue they will see for discs and other merchandise. People aren't going to pay more for the same stuff previously available. I grow weary of the current business model universally changing to take ownership away from the consumer.

I know physical ownership isn't really applicable to Netflix, but with the way the licensing fees are climbing and how all the TV networks are building Netflix rivals, it's starting to look like physical media and/or DRM-less content is going to turn into a collectors item.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Downgraded to a Streaming only plan, since double price for both was not worth it to us. I also had to agree to the revised PSN ToS agreement before being able to login to Netflix app, since it did a very sloppy login loop, until I agreed to the current ToS for the system.

I just reactivated our Netflix and also chose streaming only. There's more anime than I remembered. Biggest complaint is that a lot is dubbed. However, I haven't checked that myself yet. And with the critter training usually happenin whilst tv watching is a go, that might be a good thing for me.

The Quickster site for DVD management is going away since many people baulked at needing to make a 2nd account to login to the dvd-only portion of the service.

I missed the whole other site by not editing our Disc queue in the last couple weeks. We also are dropping Disc service, since the extra cost doesn't benefit us enough to pay the extra fees. Streaming only at this time, also because most more popular discs that did come, came in pretty shitty condition. Especially Disney films.