PSP R Us

Pic0o

It's been awhile since I updated my CFW, as I was on M33-3. After some sleuthing, I am now on the new stuff... 5.50 GEN-D3. To get my games running happily (Half-minute Hero in this example), all I had to do was apply the latest CFW from here (5.50 Gen D3-Final). The additional info is just that, as all I had to do was flash my FW to that version. The rest of the info is handy intel I saw going through the super thread linked in a prior post, catching up to latest.

On the new CFW, I am still playing games from my Memory stick. Super Win. :viking: FYI, you'll need to reconfigure your local PSP settings. Nothing new for applying Firmware patches, especially from such an older version. Also, my old CFW apps seem to work fine too.

My main cause for this was knowing that the old stuff was no match for playing newer games that do firmware checks, even despite my efforts in soft-hacking Version.txt You can ignore the below quote, as I just want it archived for easy access later.

To get the version.txt trick going, follow the easy steps below:

1) Boot into the recovery menu from a full shut down by holding R as you power on.

2) Click on 'Configuration,' then navigate down and click on 'Use version.txt' until it says it's '(currently: Enabled)'.

3) Click 'Back,' then click 'Advanced.'

4) Plug in a USB cable connected to your PSP and click 'Toggle USB (flash0).'

5) You should see a window pop up on your PC showing the contents of your PSP's flash0. Be very careful what you do here, as you're now actively engaging your PSP's flash memory. If you modify/move/delete something here that you shouldn't, you could semi-brick your PSP.

6) Navigate to ms0:\VSH\ETC and you should see version.txt sitting there with a few other files.

7) Right-click on it with your mouse and select 'Properties.' Under 'Attributes,' make sure that the 'Read-only' box is UNCHECKED.

8) Hit 'OK,' then double-click on version.txt to open it up and edit it.

9) You'll probably see something that looks almost exactly like this, minus the bolding which I've added for convenience:

Originally Posted by original version.txt:

release:5.00:

build:2740,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6

system:46876@release_500,0x05000010:

vsh:p6264@release_500,v46652@release_500,20081010:

target:1:WorldWide

10) You'll want to edit the bolded 5.00/500 references so that they read 5.51/551, accordingly:

Originally Posted by new version.txt:

release:5.51:

build:2740,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6

system:46876@release_551,0x05510010:

vsh:p6264@release_551,v46652@release_551,20081010:

target:1:WorldWide

11) Save the new version.txt, exit it, then on the PSP click 'Back' to disengage USB, and then click 'Exit' to resume normal boot up. Enjoy! P.S. - You'll be able to similarly edit version.txt when new firmwares hit. I simply selected 5.51 because that's the newest official firmware to come out.

12) As long as you enabled version.txt before, this will make most games that have version-checking think that you're running a 5.51-based firmware, instead of the 5.00-based firmware you're actually using. The overwhelming majority of games out there do not actually require the new firmwares, merely artificially restrict you to the newer firmwares as a Sony-tactic to get you to upgrade from older, more exploitable/hack-able firmwares. However, if a game truly requires the functionality added in the firmware it requires, then it probably won't work. One game that I can think of that might apply is Idolmaster PSP, which is JP-only for now.

I disabled all plugins in my Recovery Menu (Hold Right Trigger then Boot PSP), but this was a no-go on M33-3, thus I updated.

Finally, once you do flash, hit 'Select' to bring up the VSH menu and set UMD mode to Sony NP9660. This should fix any issues with games starting from your Memory card.

Also very awesome. Updated SNES9x Emu. PSP Emulation is so excellent. Speaking on Excellence, you might also want to install Game Categories V12. This will let you sort items on your PSP Game menus. Very awesome.

Happy Flashing. I spent a few hours condensing some mad pages. :reading:

Also, I am re-flashing Kat's PSP and I put my update path in the last post.

Edited by Pic0o
Up to latest
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kat's Final Fantasy II save says it's corrupted on the GEN FW. It looks like I can put her back on M33 and it should work. Silly, since it's the PSP edition of the game. To-do and FYI. :P

So keep this in mind if you update, then have issues with your save games. Flash back to the past. :lol:

Edited by Pic0o
  • 3 months later...

Today's bump was initiated by my desire to play PSP Demos on my CFW'd PSP. While you may be used to no PS Store access on your PSP, the PS3 will let you browse away and download said demo, that you can then transfer via USB to your PSP.

From there, the issue I had was an error message (80010013) popping up when I went to load the demo. I was trying to rock NPDecryptor, but that's only needed for purchased PSN titles, not demos. The magic I needed was found in this post.

disable GAME plugins

Recovery menu... (Hold Right Trigger @ Startup to access on CFW'd PSP)

Advanced...

Advanced configuration...

GAME plugins -> change this to disabled.

Boom, I'm rocking some JP Demos I grabbed with my newly made JP PSN account. :bunny: This is double nice, as the .hack//link demo is not on the US PSN, but is on the JP one.

Dilemma 2 - Work in Progress:

I'm trying some utilities to update my old save files to work on GEN-D3. Hopefully this guy does the trick, as I want to get back into my Monster Hunter 2 playthru. Worked like a Champ

For PSOne Game Art, This site will aid PopsLoader with some bling.

Edited by Pic0o
Easy Ass Game Save Fix
  • 1 month later...

Greets. I am taking a stock PSP 1001 (Fat) and upgrading the FW to CFW Gen-D3. To start this off, I grab my pandora battery and go for:

• 3.90 M33-3 CFW. Remember to put in your Memstick, Pandora Battery, then hold both Trigger buttons as you power it up. Flash 1 of 3 should start on your 'x' press.
  • 5.00 M33 CFW
  • 5.50 Gen-D3 CFW.

I was trying to direct update from 3.90 to Gen-D3. This would stop the flash from kicking in, as the PSP will power down, when it fails the software checks.

Any good new PSP games lately? I should try to hack my slim now that I don't really own any games for it and don't use it. Hah.

I haven't seen much new hit, too recently. There are some Persona RPGs that came out for PSP, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker drops next week. I've been poking at my collection of games, mostly Star Ocean 2 on PSP.

Also, Emulation. ;) I love me some mobile emu powa!

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, there is a nicer way to play 6.2x FW required games. This will let you real-time decrypt the image, instead of having to hack and chop @ your base game ISO.

5:50 GEN- D3 Prometheus Custom Firmware v2. Gen CFW version.

Prometheus Custom Firmware 5.03 v2. If you are chickhen'ing your way around on those late 2000 / 3000 model PSPs.

• 3 years later...

Call me Herbert West, because (thread bump) and CFW has been re-applied to my 6.60 FW PSP2001. Thanks to this guide. Download CFW from here (no registration required).

Let this Wiki fill in the blanks.

Fun fact for Pandora battery heads. It no longer works on the later firmwares. The PSP actually will not boot without a battery installed and especially not with a Tool / Pandora installed. Pulling the battery will turn the system off immediately.

On 1st flash attempt, I had a reboot attempt that failed. Jumping from page 1 to the last page of that thread, I saw mention of removing the SEPlugins folder. I have a 2nd memory stick so I just used that fresh one to get rolling. Flash applied successfully from fresh memstick.

Why bother re-flashing your PSP to play games you own? Easy, not running from the UMD slot. It saves massive battery life and saves you from the vibration, that is honestly ridiculous once you get used to playing without said vibration.

Since I have a "pre TA88V3" model PSP 2001, I can run the CIPL Flasher for PRO-C. If you have a later version, do not run this as it can brick your PSP. The CIPL flash will let the CFW run even after a reboot. The later model PSPs only support this firmware until rebooted.

Note: Exiting a UMD game will cause the system to shut down. So far to boot back up, I have to pull the memory stick to get back into the system menu. On the upside, I didn't have to do any modifications for my previous save games to work. Ahh, Turn off any Plugins from your Select / CFW menu. Turning these off has me resolved of the issue.

Edited by Pic0o
Reboot / Exit from game bug details + fix